Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:09 AM

809 posts, read 1,866,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Oh my.

2. Do you ridicule the Theory of Relativity too? Have you ever heard scientists refer to their studies as Facts of...? So, what you're admitting is that if you come across a study you don't want to believe, or that conflicts with your religious ideas, than you'll simply call it a Theory (because all plausible or scientifically acceptable general principles are called that) and never have to actually know what it is you're actually talking about? Braaavoo!!
wrong. if it is a theory it's a theory. no need to dig further. if it's a fact it's a fact. you should've learned this in 3rd grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,123,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
wrong. if it is a theory it's a theory. no need to dig further. if it's a fact it's a fact. you should've learned this in 3rd grade.
I can't say what I actually want to say because I'd receive a TOS violation.

So, please read the above post by Shibumi. You clearly neglected it.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:18 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,182,200 times
Quote:
That's precisely the problem. You're smugly applying third grade level logic to this discussion, only hearing what you want to hear, and ignoring the unavoidable facts and explanations that are incongruent with your world view. Using the bible as your only source of information, and ignoring the other reputable (as in not made up as homily) sources is VERY 3rd grade.

A scientific theory is DIFFERENT from a theory meaning conjecture. Have you ever heard of a homonym? They teach those in about 3rd grade.

"No need to dig further" simply indicates a level of ZERO intellectual curiosity that is disheartening, saddening and frustrating all at the same time.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:18 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,913,636 times
Quote:
Ignorance is excusable......wilful ignorance isn't.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,866,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Oh my.

1. You highlighted the wrong definition. Nice try. Try #4 instead.

OOPS! I think you meant #5.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:28 AM

809 posts, read 1,866,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
That's precisely the problem. You're smugly applying third grade level logic to this discussion, only hearing what you want to hear, and ignoring the unavoidable facts and explanations that are incongruent with your world view. Using the bible as your only source of information, and ignoring the other reputable (as in not made up as homily) sources is VERY 3rd grade.

A scientific theory is DIFFERENT from a theory meaning conjecture. Have you ever heard of a homonym? They teach those in about 3rd grade.

"No need to dig further" simply indicates a level of ZERO intellectual curiosity that is disheartening, saddening and frustrating all at the same time.

hey, hey, calm down on the TAS level 99.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
In evolution, if you chop off your finger, shouldn't you grow another one over time?
Unbelievable!!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 AM

50,139 posts, read 20,908,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Unbelievable!!
Since it doesn't happen when you pray, why should it happen when you evolve?

No, evolution only changes the DNA blueprint. That's why is you lose a leg, your kids still have both legs. If however, the shape of your chin or colour of your eyes is DNA blueprinted, then the kids may well have that characteristic.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:

can you point out a single instance of evolution
Yes I can. But I made a New Year Resolution not to discuss evolution with people who don't have the slightest idea of what the ToE says. Sorry about that!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:44 AM

50,139 posts, read 20,908,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes I can. But I made a New Year Resolution not to discuss evolution with people who don't have the slightest idea of what the ToE says. Sorry about that!
Well, yes, I thought of posting examples of evolution, but I'm not sure we have a serious discussion.

"That's not evolution! That's just change! Dogs giving birth to winged kittens! That's Evolution!!!" ( cue obligatory )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality