Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2007, 10:05 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,285,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Oh so I got both jobs...Yeah! But now I have to decide which one to take...any opinions welcomed. One is 5 minutes from home and only 16 hours every two weeks (8 hour nights), but I can pick up more hours as I want, which leaves me very flexible for when the kids are out of school. The other is 30 minutes away from home, 48 hours every two weeks (12 hour days) not as much flexibility but they will pay half of our insurance expense (Cobra is $1400 this would knock that down to $700 a month), and they are having car vandalism problems because it's the city.

I know what I want to do but I can't decide if that's what's best. HELP!!!
Congrats! Just kaykay's opinion- Of course, pray about it. Just on the surface, though, I would lean toward the first one unless the insurance thing is so problematic for you financially that you almost have to take the second. Just my .02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 10:08 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,822,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Congrats! Just kaykay's opinion- Of course, pray about it. Just on the surface, though, I would lean toward the first one unless the insurance thing is so problematic for you financially that you almost have to take the second. Just my .02
Believe me I am...but sometimes people here say things that really trigger me to know what to do...so I think that may be how some of my prayers are answered at time...by you all!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Believe me I am...but sometimes people here say things that really trigger me to know what to do...so I think that may be how some of my prayers are answered at time...by you all!
Does your dh have an opinion about it?

Old 09-24-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Does your dh have an opinion about it?
Sort of...

He wants me to work full time and not have to do anything with the house, kids or dogs. Although he says he will be supportive if conflicts arise the first conflict that has already come up (orientation begins for both jobs on October 1st and in it's brilliance the Arch Diocese has closed school last minute on that day for the Installation of a new Bishop) he totally freaked out and groaned about it. This makes me lean towards the night position so I can be here for the kids if needed....the drawback is the benefits but his contract is long term and at a higher rate which technically will cover the cobra payments. Night shifts are hard on me physically but I think for a few more years until my little guy is old enough to be home with out me I may need to stick with them. But I'm trying not to make the decision on impulse which is how I make most decisions...so with out my impulse I need opinions. Make sense?

Old 09-24-2007, 10:32 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,674,759 times
Hi Irish,

I'm with kaykay, the first thing to do is to pray on it. Have paitence, or as much as you can before having to give an answer to the companies.

The second option with 48 hours seems to be a bit much considering your load at home, as well as the fact that there is vandalism which leads me to believe this is an unsafe neighborhood in which you would not want to be at.

The first option leaves the door open to you getting more hours when you feel you need/want them. It is flexible which you might need with the children.

Also, the shifts are shorter hours, 8 vs more than 12 per day. To me, this would be a great stresser to the body working the longer shifts. sigh.

Good luck on your choice. The first option seems to be great, not far from home, more hours if you need them, and maybe if you talk with them, they might help out with insurance?

Old 09-24-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
Hi Irish,

I'm with kaykay, the first thing to do is to pray on it. Have paitence, or as much as you can before having to give an answer to the companies.

The second option with 48 hours seems to be a bit much considering your load at home, as well as the fact that there is vandalism which leads me to believe this is an unsafe neighborhood in which you would not want to be at.

The first option leaves the door open to you getting more hours when you feel you need/want them. It is flexible which you might need with the children.

Also, the shifts are shorter hours, 8 vs more than 12 per day. To me, this would be a great stresser to the body working the longer shifts. sigh.

Good luck on your choice. The first option seems to be great, not far from home, more hours if you need them, and maybe if you talk with them, they might help out with insurance?
I'm leaning towards the 16 hours position as well....just want to be sure that it's the right choice....sooooo confused!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Sort of...

He wants me to work full time and not have to do anything with the house, kids or dogs. Although he says he will be supportive if conflicts arise the first conflict that has already come up (orientation begins for both jobs on October 1st and in it's brilliance the Arch Diocese has closed school last minute on that day for the Installation of a new Bishop) he totally freaked out and groaned about it. This makes me lean towards the night position so I can be here for the kids if needed....the drawback is the benefits but his contract is long term and at a higher rate which technically will cover the cobra payments. Night shifts are hard on me physically but I think for a few more years until my little guy is old enough to be home with out me I may need to stick with them. But I'm trying not to make the decision on impulse which is how I make most decisions...so with out my impulse I need opinions. Make sense?
Well, I almost hate to say this on here ...especially to you because I doubt you share my views on this but I do believe that sometimes God speaks to us through "spiritual authority" which in kaykay's mind here is your husband! So...if I were in your shoes, if my dh felt strongly I should do one or the other, I would go along with him.

That said, I am concerned, as ai-angel said about the safety of the one neighborhood.

Sorry, I'm up to .04 now!

Old 09-24-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Well, I almost hate to say this on here ...especially to you because I doubt you share my views on this but I do believe that sometimes God speaks to us through "spiritual authority" which in kaykay's mind here is your husband! So...if I were in your shoes, if my dh felt strongly I should do one or the other, I would go along with him.

That said, I am concerned, as ai-angel said about the safety of the one neighborhood.

Sorry, I'm up to .04 now!
Are you saying you don't think I'm the type of woman to defer to her husband's wishes! Oh my how did you get to know me so well from an internet board!

His actual words to me were, "I trust you to make whatever decision is the best for our situation."....not so helpful really.

I'm going with the night position...I think I can pick up enough hourse to pay for the Cobra and the tuition with out much trouble....and that would work out to 3 nights a week...totally doable...and maybe up to 4 nights for a bit to pay for an extraordinaryly shameful display of gifts from Santa (for my kids as well as our adopted family), as is our tradition. Whew, I feel better now. I must go pick up my children and then get ready for my class tonight.
Thanks Aiangel and Kaykay, you are the best!

Old 09-24-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Are you saying you don't think I'm the type of woman to defer to her husband's wishes! Oh my how did you get to know me so well from an internet board!

His actual words to me were, "I trust you to make whatever decision is the best for our situation."....not so helpful really.

I'm going with the night position...I think I can pick up enough hourse to pay for the Cobra and the tuition with out much trouble....and that would work out to 3 nights a week...totally doable...and maybe up to 4 nights for a bit to pay for an extraordinaryly shameful display of gifts from Santa (for my kids as well as our adopted family), as is our tradition. Whew, I feel better now. I must go pick up my children and then get ready for my class tonight.
Thanks Aiangel and Kaykay, you are the best!
Well, sounds like your dh is good with whatever you decide even if he had an opposite opinion. So... since you prefer the one, I will say again that the thing about the crime in the neighborhood, long drive etc. did bother me too. So I think I would have gone with the closer, more flexible position if you can handle the night shift and you seem to think that's ok for you!

Old 09-24-2007, 12:09 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,674,759 times
Quote:
Well, sounds like your dh is good with whatever you decide even if he had an opposite opinion. So... since you prefer the one, I will say again that the thing about the crime in the neighborhood, long drive etc. did bother me too. So I think I would have gone with the closer, more flexible position if you can handle the night shift and you seem to think that's ok for you!
I totally agree as well. That extra driving time combined with the not so desirable neighborhood was worrying me. Sometimes we just have to weigh these things out.

Again, you might want to consult with them on if they might be willing to work with you on your insurance.

glad you decided to go with the one closest to home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality