Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 05:38 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,569,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
to the OP: that is nothing compared to parents who killed their own daughter just coz he is dating a guy out of their religion and/or race. some people can be looney tunes with their belief and principles just like the more recent joe stack incident. i guess my sis is lucky that even though my mom is a devout catholic, she did not disown her own daughter just coz she decided to go the fundamentalist christian belief.
Would that be the evangelical Christian belief?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:45 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,051,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
The principle of mainstream Christianity is best seen in Paul's instruction to believing spouses to fully respect an unbelieving spouse in the hope that they may be converted. This principle extends to all such relationships, whether in families or anywhere else.

Its to bad it can't be just respect the non Christians right to believe what they want to... But that would be asking alot.....

I am Jewish and my husband is an agnostic sceptic. 2 of my kids are Jewish and my oldest will make a choice about what he wants to believe or not believe. I respect all my families choices and have no desire to "convert" them. Thats the way religion ought to be.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:00 PM

478 posts, read 775,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
by the way, it seems like your friend had gone agnostic? what does she believe in now?
She is mostly a "spiritual" person who doesn't cling to any one particular tenet or belief system and is not a fan of organized religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Its to bad it can't be just respect the non Christians right to believe what they want to... But that would be asking alot.....

I am Jewish and my husband is an agnostic sceptic. 2 of my kids are Jewish and my oldest will make a choice about what he wants to believe or not believe. I respect all my families choices and have no desire to "convert" them. Thats the way religion ought to be.
Yes, it's the way religion OUGHT to be but, sadly, rarely is. Religion should be personal and between onesself and whatever god or entity he or she believes- or doesn't, as the case may be.

Oh and it sounds like you're raising your children to be intelligent and well adjusted people. Personally, I believe as you do, that it is best to share with your children as many spiritual views as possible and then, when they are old and mature enough, allow them to decide for themselves what they want to believe or if they do at all. I dont' have kids but it wouldn't matter a lick to me what they believed so long as I knew they aren't being "brainwashed" or coerced into believing something dangerous to their character and/or well being or taking away their ability to think and reason. Which, sadly, is happening in a lot of religions nowadays. Seems like there are more and more cultish "splinter groups" popping up in the mainstream which is scary and I'd gather that Jehova's witnesses might well fit under that umbrella based on the extreme measures they insist on their members taking in order to remain "true" to their religion...

Old 02-22-2010, 03:13 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,569,420 times
Quote:
I respect all my families choices and have no desire to "convert" them. Thats the way religion ought to be.
Respect of the choices of others is only common decency, and the bounds of respect must not be overlooked, in deed or word. But surely, if one believes that one's faith is a matter of life and death, one will want others to share it?

Old 02-22-2010, 04:31 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,445,212 times
Quote:
That happens sometimes with religions that believe you will go to hell if you believe differently. The action is an attempt to bring the lost person back into the fold. The possible loss of family is the most cruel aspect of the more fundamentalist, conservative of Christianity and Islam.

Its something I have never understood and my children will be free to choose or not choose to be religious. It would never have any affect on how I feel about them.

Not all religion is bad and not all religious people choose to act this way.
Jehovah Witnesses are not Christian! Christians, even fundamentalist, conservatives like myself do not act like this persons parrents!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:35 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,445,212 times
Quote:
The principle of mainstream Christianity is best seen in Paul's instruction to believing spouses to fully respect an unbelieving spouse in the hope that they may be converted. This principle extends to all such relationships, whether in families or anywhere else.
Yes, you understand Christianity, Jazzymom does not! Paul is correct in how we should act concerning the unbelieving spouse. This can also apply to our children, etc.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Jehovah Witnesses are not Christian! Christians, even fundamentalist, conservatives like myself do not act like this persons parrents!
I never said Jehovah's witnesses and I have known mainstream Christians, and Muslims to act this way. I also do not judge Christian denominations as to if they are Christian or not.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Yes, you understand Christianity, Jazzymom does not! Paul is correct in how we should act concerning the unbelieving spouse. This can also apply to our children, etc.

Do not say what I know or do not know. My ancestry is Christian so I do know about Christianity. My parents are Christian as is all my family. I grew up in a Christian world. The difference is my family let me make up my own mind and they became active in Christianity after I was grown.

Because I do understand Christianity I rejected it and walked away from it.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Respect of the choices of others is only common decency, and the bounds of respect must not be overlooked, in deed or word. But surely, if one believes that one's faith is a matter of life and death, one will want others to share it?

Christians think their faith is a matter of life and death. Mine tells me we are all Gds children and he has a place for us all.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:57 AM

7,525 posts, read 17,011,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
She is mostly a "spiritual" person who doesn't cling to any one particular tenet or belief system and is not a fan of organized religion...........
Family vs Religion........seems she made the same choice that her parent did.

I think the real choice is whether or not religion is involved one must be true to themselves and their beliefs and their relationship (or lack of relationship) with what they perceive as their god/creator. So yes, faith is greater than family ties, but no, religion is not greater than family ties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality