Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Bible the literal word of God?
Yes, 100 % word of God 32 31.68%
No, its been mangled by man, but its mostly true 19 18.81%
No, I dont beleive the bible is the word of God( including not believeing in God) 50 49.50%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:32 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,464,294 times

Advertisements

So, do you think the Bible is the literal unadulterated word of God, and that everything that is witeen there truly took place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 03:37 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times
yes I do believe it

Old 06-01-2007, 04:07 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,558 times
Yep...believe it 100%
MBG

Old 06-01-2007, 04:17 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,814 times
I would like some clarification. Christ spoke in parables. Many of the writings of the Bible are alegorical, prarables, comparison, etc. . . When you ask, " The Bible, is it literal?" Are you asking if it is to be taken literally word for word, or are you asking if it is in fact the word of God?

If you are asking the former, I say to you, when was the last time you saw a plank of wood in someone's eye? If you are asking if the Bible is the word or God, my answer is absolutely. Do I believe what the Bible tells me? Yes. Do I completely understand everyting in the Bible? Absolutely not.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:19 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
I'm with BrittZ. The Bible is the Word of God, but not every word therein is meant to be taken literally. The Bible is filled with metaphor, symbolism, visions, parables, allegories, etc.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:46 PM

137 posts, read 436,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
I would like some clarification. Christ spoke in parables. Many of the writings of the Bible are alegorical, prarables, comparison, etc. . . When you ask, " The Bible, is it literal?" Are you asking if it is to be taken literally word for word, or are you asking if it is in fact the word of God?

If you are asking the former, I say to you, when was the last time you saw a plank of wood in someone's eye? If you are asking if the Bible is the word or God, my answer is absolutely. Do I believe what the Bible tells me? Yes. Do I completely understand everyting in the Bible? Absolutely not.
BrittZ,

That was a very good, diplomatic answer, ;-)

y.b.in Christ,

kaiser

Old 06-01-2007, 10:49 PM

137 posts, read 436,046 times
brittZ,

Even though the Bible is not always literal, it is only as accurate as the authours who wrote it!

Even so, If it was written down as God said it, then yes, I believe it is true all the way!

But again, only if it says what God wanted it to say!

y.b. in Christ,

Kaiser

Old 06-01-2007, 10:56 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,817,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
brittZ,

Even though the Bible is not always literal, it is only as accurate as the authours who wrote it!

Even so, If it was written down as God said it, then yes, I believe it is true all the way!

But again, only if it says what God wanted it to say!

y.b. in Christ,

Kaiser
So does this mean you believe it or not? Just wondering because since the New Testament was written decades after Jesus died, it couldn't have been written down as he was saying it. So where does that leave your belief in it?

Old 11-02-2007, 07:56 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post

I'm with brittZ, so voted yes.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:47 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,374,572 times
I'm with Brittz, too. I believe that it is the Word of God, but much of it is allegory and metaphor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality