Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:21 PM

253 posts, read 640,615 times

Advertisements

Given that the books of the Bible were written by several different authors, I have a question.

Where should one have a literal veiw of the Bible? I know a lot of people say that we should take the whole thing literaly, but is this right given that Jesus himself was known to speak in parables?

the books of Moses are particularly debated, especially Genesis. Should we take his books literealy or symbolically, or is each one different?

I hope to get a variety of answers on this one, please justify your point of view with a few verses or something if that is possible.

Last edited by maniac; 06-11-2007 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 12:35 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,143 times
I think almost all of the "authors" speak in both literal terms as well as some parables ...but that's just me. When I read the Bible, I simply pray and ask God to reveal Himself to me and allow me to interpret the things He wants me to according to His will. Ultimately, God is the only one that can help you desipher the Bible.
That being said, I think that Luke is probably the most notible (IMO) for being literal...WHY? Because he was a doctor and was very logical and serious. He was pretty much a no nonsense type of guy . His text is pretty cut and dry and doesn't leave a lot of room for grey areas.
But, like I said, that is just my opinion...hope that's what you're looking for!

Old 06-11-2007, 05:20 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
I started a thread once asking why Genesis was taken so literally and yet Revelations has a shelf of interpretations at the local book store. Someone said that was partly because Revelations is prophecy. I don't know that I'd agree with that but as I recall there's over sixty authors of the Bible (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and they all had their own style of writing. Some of it seems almost like poetry and some of it seems like a more straightforward account of events. I think the Bible is very different from any other book in the manner in which it was written and finally put together as a whole. I think it's very difficult for believers and non believers alike to read the Bible and come away with a clear meaning that was intended by the authors. I say that as an non believer but I notice that believers often argue among themselves about the meaning of various passages.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:09 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
Given that the books of the Bible were written by several different authors, I have a question.

Where should one have a literal veiw of the Bible? I know a lot of people say that we should take the whole thing literaly, but is this right given that Jesus himself was known to speak in parables?

the books of Moses are particularly debated, especially Genesis. Should we take his books literealy or symbolically, or is each one different?

I hope to get a variety of answers on this one, please justify your point of view with a few verses or something if that is possible.

I think you have to read the books of the Bible in the style they were written. IMHO, Genesis is a historical narrative, so you would read it and interpret it in that light. Psalms are songs and poems and must be read and interpreted in that light. The Gospels are historical narrative, including Jesus' teachings. You have to read and interpret these books in that light. Other 'books' are letters written to early churches to instruct and inform believers on practices, behaviors, etc. They must be read in that light and interpreted accordingly. You are to study to be sure you are dividing the Word properly. If you come across passages that don't make sense to you, remember Scripture interprets Scripture. All the different books correlate to each other and if a subject is taught upon in one book in the Bible, there usually is another book in the Bible that also touches upon it.

Ex: Gen 1:27 - So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. ... (Gen 1:31) - God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

Mark 10:6 - "But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.'" (Jesus speaking)

Here, we see in Genesis it is recorded God created man and woman on the sixth day and in Mark we see Jesus taught this as fact by His statement that man and woman was created "at the beginning". This shows Jesus believed Genesis was literal historical narrative and taught as such.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:53 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,584 times
Maniac....the Bible alone is essential to our faith, but not sufficient. Are you following me?

The Bible is divinly inspired and the Word of God. But, not everything in our faith is contained in the Bible. Christ established a Church on this earth ....a teachiing body, so to speak, which is guided by the Holy Spirit and cannot error in the areas of faith and morals ("You are Peter and on this rock, I give you the keys to the kingdom and heaven and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.")

So....this teaching body who has the assurance from Christ himself of not erring in the arena of faith, reads and reviews and analyzes scripture from a spirtual, intellectual and sociological point of view....and with divine inspiration decides what scriputure is literal and what is figurative.

This teaching body has also been keenly aware of what the apostles practiced and believed and what early christains practiced and believed (sacred Tradition).

There is no way our entire faith is compiled within one book, taken literally.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:41 PM

59 posts, read 243,804 times
I believe that most of the Bible should NOT be taken literally - but rather serve as a guide on how to live treat others.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:48 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
...as I recall there's over sixty authors of the Bible (someone correct me if I'm wrong)...
Well, you asked for it!

There are approximately 40 authors. Not all authors are identified, so scholars have taken good guesses as to who they might be. Ultimately, from a Christian perspective, God is the only author because He directed the process.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:05 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
Maniac....the Bible alone is essential to our faith, but not sufficient. Are you following me?

The Bible is divinly inspired and the Word of God. But, not everything in our faith is contained in the Bible. Christ established a Church on this earth ....a teachiing body, so to speak, which is guided by the Holy Spirit and cannot error in the areas of faith and morals ("You are Peter and on this rock, I give you the keys to the kingdom and heaven and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.")

So....this teaching body who has the assurance from Christ himself of not erring in the arena of faith, reads and reviews and analyzes scripture from a spirtual, intellectual and sociological point of view....and with divine inspiration decides what scriputure is literal and what is figurative.

This teaching body has also been keenly aware of what the apostles practiced and believed and what early christains practiced and believed (sacred Tradition).

There is no way our entire faith is compiled within one book, taken literally.
That verse is Matt 16:18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

I've never before seen the wording you quote. Where is that from? It's interesting tht I don't see the Church as a "teaching body" What is that?
To me, the Church is the body of believers -- all of us, collectively.

....a teachiing body, so to speak, which is guided by the Holy Spirit and cannot error in the areas of faith and morals

However, the history of the church does not support that statement that it 'cannot err'.

We can listen to teachers, theologians, those who have studied (many more knowledeable people here), those who know the original languages, even, but we must always base everything on the Bible. We cannot live by "the Bible...plus this other handbook". It's Scripture only, not all the stuff that we love to create, invent, theorize and add to "dress up" the faith. That's why there are so many denominations. It's like the Tower of Babel ...oops sorry...the tower of Babel. (Maybe babble would be more appropo )

Maybe there should be a new thread called "What denomination was Jesus?"

Old 06-14-2007, 12:51 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
Blueberry wrote:
Quote:
There are approximately 40 authors.
Oh, I hate it when that happens. I just looked it up and you're right. I'll be more careful next time.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:03 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
I don't take the bibles every word as literal, I could never do each and everything it says I should do.
I use the bible mainly as a guide, and as a place to come to to hunt for scripture to comfort me when I am grieving, to lift me up when I am sad, to guide me when I stray, to show me love when I feel hate,to encourage me when I am discouraged.... A thought just came to me as I was posting. It seems like I only come to the Bible for my own selfish needs, and I was ashamed of myself. I had to stop while I tried to figure this out. Aren't these things (that make us miserable} the things that Jesus told us to lay at his feet, to unburden ourselves of these things? Doesn't God speak to us through the Bible, and weren't we given the wonderful gift of the Holy Spirit to dwell in us, as our comforter and guide in all our spiritual matters? No I don't try to live by every word in the Bible. I try to live by the example that Jesus gave for us. He being perfect, knew we couldn't do that, so he paid the price of our sins when he died for us. IMHO the bible was not written to cause arguements and hate over how every single word or passage should be interpreted. Before I go to the bible to study, I always pray that he will remove all the man made doctrines including my own that He may guide me in my understanding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality