Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:05 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,238,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
But there *is* proof that supports the theory that the car will start.

1. prior experience - the car started yesterday
2. Current environment- temperature is warm
3. Visual appearance - the car has not been damaged or altered since last viewing
4. Validation of components - the car's parts were in working order, as verified by a knowledgeable expert.
5. Age/usage - if the car is new, the odds are lesser that a part will be faulty, this increases the odds that the car will start.

Etc, etc.

All of these lead to a reasonable expectation that the car will start. Naturally, that expectation may not be fulfilled, it is possible to find proof that the car will start. You *could* get a mechanic out there every single day to inspect and validate every single part is in working order, and then you would have definitive evidence, not just expectation, that the car will start.
that reasonable expectation is based that you have faith it will start.
Just as an atheist has faith that science can explain the origin of man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 01:05 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,103,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Atheists just will not admit they put their faith in science to prove the origin of man
Atheist don't have faith that science will prove the origins of man, atheist acknowledge that we may never prove the origins of man.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Atheist don't have faith that science will prove the origins of man, atheist acknowledge that we may never prove the origins of man.

so atheists do not beleive in the theory of evolution or the big bang so these thinsg should not be taught

Old 03-04-2010, 01:10 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,878,952 times
Quote:
You have no proof your care will start until you do so. So you have faith it will do so because you have no proof until it does.
Nope. Faith is believing something that you can't show to be true. I can prove that it is true my car has always started. Faith is not required. Trust maybe...but not faith.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Nope. Faith is believing something that you can't show to be true. I can prove that it is true my car has always started. Faith is not required. Trust maybe...but not faith.
your can not prove your car will start until you start it. If you believe and trust it will start you have faith that it will start. because faith is belief in what is not able to be proved. Once you start it then you would confirm your faith

Old 03-04-2010, 01:18 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,937,251 times
Faith is not the same as expectation or reasonable odds.

Say it with me.

Faith is *NOT* the same as expectation or reasonable odds.

Do an experiment with me. Pull out a few coins from your pocket. Say, five. Shake them up in your hand and slap them on the table without looking at them.

Now, without looking, what FAITH do you have that all five coins are heads up?

Now what is your FAITH that three coins are heads up?

What is your FAITH that at least one coin is heads up?

Notice how the certainty of your "faith" changed with increased odds of each result? That's because it is not faith, it is an expectation based on the known odds and variables.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:18 PM

33,571 posts, read 37,194,916 times
Quote:
I have said people who believe science is the origin of man, through the big bang or evolutionary theory place faith in that. It has to be faith because there is no proof.
More than once you have said that science is the origin of man or has created man...That is ridiculous...Science does not create, but discovers. It can foster change, but that's all. There is no proof of the big bang theory, and until there is, science says they don't know, but there is ample proof of evolution, so faith is not required...It's fact. A fact that many religions will not accept, because their faith in a creator blinds them to reality.
Quote:
By one definition you posted faith is belief in what you can not prove.
As far as the origin man you must have faith that a creator is the origin or science is the origin.
Nature, not science is the origin....See above.

Quote:
I having faith in science for the answer is still faith
Faith is only required for that which is unproven, and in science what is unproven remains unknown...Again no faith required. It is religions that insist that what is unprovable actually exists, and that requires faith.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:27 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
There is the third option, something.

What is it? In the absence of an answer you should not make one up (see below) even something as vague as 'something'.

For the thousandth time, the absence of an answer does not require the that we just make one up!

If you were following my post I was referring to inference - Why do you think that postulating a Creator is illogical, irrational, or 'just making something up?'

It becomes incredibly important when theist attempt to undermine these facts in the educational system BECAUSE it is detrimental to not only the field of science but the development of technology which is crucial to our economy and way of life.

That was irrelevent to my point. I was talking about its importantance in relation to a Creator - so why can't you have billions of years with evolution and a Creator. Certainly not because it undermines the educational system. Why can't you?

That is ridiculous, science as provided an abundance of answers about the origins of the universe and the origins of man, the fact that is has not answer the definitive question is the most ludicrous argument for discarding all of that evidence and simply throwing up our hands and yell, THE CREATOR DID IT!
It is not ridiculous, science can not reach to the origins of the universe - may the point of its begining - but not its origin. The universe came into existence. From what? Science may be able to show theories of how 'man' came into existence but I said 'life from non-life' - big difference. Origins usually is the definitive answer by the way.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:33 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,592,066 times
Quote:
Science looking does not bother me at all. Atheists just will not admit they put their faith in science to prove the origin of man

Science doesn't rest on faith.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:35 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,878,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
The universe came into existence. From what?
You see what you are doing here. You are noting that the universe exists and then immediately jump to the assumption that there must have been a time when it didn't exist. The universe exists...job done. Why is it not possible that it has always existed in some shape or form?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality