Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:55 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,083,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
which had nothing whatsoever to do with the question I was answering, but then that's typical of your posting.

The point being that if you are going to begin your comments on a post with "Nope," you should know what you are talking about, which you so rarely do. Comments without context are just babble.
The oral Torah was also given...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 01:09 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,945,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The oral Torah was also given...
And does that have anything to do with what we were talking about concerning Jewish perception of the origin of the written Torah as clarified to the person who asked, or is this just more babble?

Old 04-18-2018, 05:24 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,083,816 times
Quote:
And does that have anything to do with what we were talking about concerning Jewish perception of the origin of the written Torah as clarified to the person who asked, or is this just more babble?
And let’s start over...What are you attempting to get at?...

Old 04-18-2018, 06:43 AM

22,379 posts, read 19,299,750 times
Quote:
It is the first 5 books of what we call the Old Testament: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus. Numbers and Deuteronomy.
btw for you and VovaLee, I was by no means stating my opinion on the proposition, just explaining what Judaism (and most Christians) teach.
The OT is not the same as the Tanakh.
The Torah was given to the Jewish people 3,331 years ago, which is 13 centuries before Crtnty ever even existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Three points seem to have been presented as evidence of reincarnation in Jesus' teachings (aside from my view that Jesus was a Jew and never taught any of this). ....
Reincarnation is part of Judaism.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-18-2018 at 07:07 AM..

Old 04-18-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Nope. The Torah was given to the Jewish people 3,331 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
what? its a collection of books aint it?
Quote:
no
Quote:
I didn't know that.
Quote:
Jews believe that the 5 books that constitute Torah (as opposed to Tanach which Christians know as the Old Testament) were given by Moses on inspiration from God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VovaLee View Post
Your opinion is very valuable and important to us.

PS.
I believe I'm Emperor Palpatine, but my psychiatrist doubts.
Quote:
ty nate, is it collection of 5 books or more like 5 chapters of a book?
Quote:
It is the first 5 books of what we call the Old Testament: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus. Numbers and Deuteronomy.
btw for you and VovaLee, I was by no means stating my opinion on the proposition, just explaining what Judaism (and most Christians) teach.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
And let’s start over...What are you attempting to get at?...
If you follow the thread, I was just trying to clarify to Arach Angle what the Jewish perception of the origin of the written or strict definition of Torah is. VovaLee has some input on scholarly information concerning that which may be interesting in itself, but not appropriate to this thread.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
If you follow the thread, I was just trying to clarify to Arach Angle what the Jewish perception of the origin of the written or strict definition of Torah is. VovaLee has some input on scholarly information concerning that which may be interesting in itself, but not appropriate to this thread.
and I am clarifying that the origin of the Tanakh (which includes the 5 books that are included on a physical Torah scroll) is from the giving of the Torah to the Jewish people 3,331 years ago.

the OT which you mention came much later, about 13 centuries later.

I clarify it because a person could read in your "clarification" that the OT and the 5 books from the Tanakh are the "same" and they are not. They are different.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:10 PM

23,213 posts, read 10,508,445 times
Quote:

IS IT?

Now that makes sense to me, it always has made sense, being that I at least know that Jews lived before this Earth was created, I don't know if I can say this of Gentiles, but I do believe it is true of Jews, and it just makes sense to me.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
and I am clarifying that the origin of the Tanakh (which includes the 5 books that are included on a physical Torah scroll) is from the giving of the Torah to the Jewish people 3,331 years ago.

the OT which you mention came much later, about 13 centuries later.

I clarify it because a person could read in your "clarification" that the OT and the 5 books from the Tanakh are the "same" and they are not. They are different.
It is your entry that is NOW confusing or confused, I'm not sure which. Just exactly WHAT was given 3,381 years ago? Because it is NOT Tanach.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
It is your entry that is NOW confusing or confused, I'm not sure which. Just exactly WHAT was given 3,381 years ago? Because it is NOT Tanach.
here is what is pertinent to this thread:

the OT is NOT the same as the Tanakh

Old 04-18-2018, 01:24 PM

23,213 posts, read 10,508,445 times
Quote:

Ya know, the law and the prophets have always been even before the giving of the law at the Mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality