Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:48 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
The biggest thing for me is those who hold the bible dearly yet are big into their guns and killing (i.g. Iraq and Afghanistan). Thou shall not kill.
How about they don't believe in abortion but the death penalty is OK?

Or...abortion = bad, but depriving a child of health care once it is born = good.

Or...abortion AND teen pregnancy bad (unless you are running for vice-president) - but we can't have sex education to prevent either.

"Just Say No" - the main theme concerning sex and drugs when telling young people how to handle those issues. How can we expect teenagers to follow that - when our Senators obviously can't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 09:57 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
The biggest thing for me is those who hold the bible dearly yet are big into their guns and killing (i.g. Iraq and Afghanistan). Thou shall not kill.
One of my favorites from the list:

Quote:
Too uneducated about Christianity. Generally speaking (which of course is the most offensive way to speak about any group of people), Christians tend to embarrass themselves by knowing so little about either the Bible or the history of Christianity. Believing that the Bible is the word of God, for instance, is one thing; knowing nothing about the long process by which men decided which texts would and wouldn't make it into the Bible is another. It's not that all Christians should be full-on theologians or historians. But if you're a Christian who doesn't know the Great Schism from The Great Santini, or the Diet of Worms from ... well, the diet of worms, then you've got some homework to do.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:46 AM

191 posts, read 143,950 times
Sounds more like "10 ways wacko liberals like to generalize/stereotype"

Old 05-14-2010, 06:50 AM

191 posts, read 143,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
How about they don't believe in abortion but the death penalty is OK?

How bout idiots that cant tell the difference between an innocent child and a murderous adult?

Can you seriously not see the difference?

In one case you have an innocent kid, who more often than not is aborted for convenience or lack of responsibility.

On the other hand you have an adult that committed a horrific crime.

Do those two equal out in a liberal's mind?

Old 05-14-2010, 07:22 AM

220 posts, read 222,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A decidely liberal view of Christianity from a decidely liberal publication. I, for one, am not surprised. Perhaps the author can live by example and spare us his "opinion" of how Christians ought to live, and focus instead on his own relationship with God. This piece was nothing but bait for the anti-religious. I expect nothing less from Huffington Post.

The the author must not be a "TRUE" xistian then, huh?. his god damn liberal leaning ways are getting in his religious ways.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:44 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner71 View Post
The the author must not be a "TRUE" xistian then, huh?. his god damn liberal leaning ways are getting in his religious ways.
Did you read my subsequent posts? I'm guessing not. I laid out quite specifically why his views are counter to the Bible. Maybe you should slow down, take a deep breath, and concentrate for a few short minutes.

Since I doubt you'll do this, let me recap for you:

Quote:
The article has some merit. But the entire premise is set upon the notion that Christians should live and let live, which is counter to many Christian ideals. God did not call upon his children to sit idly by while the world zooms past in sinister fashion. Christians are called to spread the word, which is a concept that is obviously lost upon this "Christian" author. According to him, Christians should shut up, study up, and butt out of everone's business. Which is precisely why I said that it was a "decidedly liberal" view of Christianity. It fits quite well with the "free-love for all, no matter the cost, no matter the consequence" philosophy encompassed by liberal ideology.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:52 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFanMan View Post
How bout idiots that cant tell the difference between an innocent child and a murderous adult?

Can you seriously not see the difference?

In one case you have an innocent kid, who more often than not is aborted for convenience or lack of responsibility.

On the other hand you have an adult that committed a horrific crime.

Do those two equal out in a liberal's mind?
On average, we execute one innocent man/woman in this country, for every 10 that are guilty.

Yet, Christians, knowing this, still support the death penalty on a whole.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Did you read my subsequent posts? I'm guessing not. I laid out quite specifically why his views are counter to the Bible. Maybe you should slow down, take a deep breath, and concentrate for a few short minutes.

Since I doubt you'll do this, let me recap for you:
My number one problem with Christians personally, is that a vast majority of them haven't read the whole bible, from cover to cover.

Then, not knowing the truth for themselves, will stand up and swear the the bible is the undisputed word of God, and that EVERYONE should follow its example.

Yet, they don't know anything about the numerous contradictions that lie within it. They don't know about the subjugation of women that it says you're supposed to do. They don't know that the only place Jesus ever supposedly said he was the Messiah, was before the court of priests, out of public view, and facing execution. They don't know that MEN wrote the bible, and decidedly left out books that were widely accepted by early Christians, because they didn't like the message, and it didn't jive with their Roman sense of religious conformity.

But, the bible isn't disputable, its Gods word for sure, because their priest said it is.

Thats my problem with Christianity. To quick to judge, persecute, and look down at others, over a book that Christ himself wouldn't recognize, in an attempt to keep a moral code, that isn't any of their damned business.

Thats my problem, and if you say its a gross exaggeration, you're full of crap and you know it.

Most Christians can claim stupidity about their faith, but that is no excuse for their allowing it to be used as a political agenda, by people who don't give a damn about them or their faith.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:08 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
1. 75% of "Christians" haven't read the bible, yet, most of them take it as the word of God. (Need I say more?)

2. Instead of making up their own mind, they trust a preacher, who is a man and flawed, to make up their minds for them. (Yep, because Jerry Falwell is God, so is the pope)

3. They let political parties use them to further their agenda, by playing with their heart strings, when in reality they don't care about you. (The Bush administration put gay marriage on the ballot in key states, to get re elected in 04)

4. Denying Evolution, when there is strong scientific evidence to show that evolution is how the great diversity of the planet, came into being. (Seriously, most rational people understand that evolution isn't how life began, its how life changed, after it began)

5. Not nearly charitable enough. Jesus was a poor man, and gave everything he had to someone else, without thinking twice about it. (I know a lot of rich Christians)

6. Worrying about what everyone else is doing, instead of cleaning up their own household first. (I submit to the jury, Sarah Palin).

7. Building huge churches, for no reason. (Jesus taught in the woods, on the hills, on the shores, I don't think he ever taught in a church, why do you need a huge Mega church?)

8. Not knowing the history of their own faith. (You do know that men wrote the bible, right? Jesus never wrote it, neither did Moses)

9. Rejecting those who ask questions. (Because questions to unanswerable questions, are bad, and cause doubt)

10. Not standing up for your faith, and demanding idiots like the pope step down, when its clear he was in on covering up child molestation. There are also several examples of hypocritical situations in the church, where people simply look the other way.

Thats my top 10. Some have room for debate, but thats just how I feel.

The only thing I find debatable here is I believe the Christian Coalition uses the politicians to further their agendas.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
The only thing I find debatable here is I believe the Christian Coalition uses the politicians to further their agendas.
But who is the Christian Coalition? If you look at its leaders, they are largely political figures, or have extremely close ties to political leaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality