Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:17 AM

191 posts, read 144,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
On average, we execute one innocent man/woman in this country, for every 10 that are guilty.

Yet, Christians, knowing this, still support the death penalty on a whole.

1st off, I would like to see some kind of credible link for that.

2nd - On average, 100% of the babies aborted are innocent, yet liberals want to to kill them, and free the 90% of the death row people that are guilty (if your stats are correct)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 10:18 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFanMan View Post
Sounds more like "10 ways wacko liberals like to generalize/stereotype"
You're hilarious, though probably not intentionally, which just makes this kind of hypocrisy sad.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:19 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,851,419 times
A person failing to be a christian is between them and God. Its not my place to judge how close someone is to GOD.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:20 AM

191 posts, read 144,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
You're hilarious, though probably not intentionally, which just makes this kind of hypocrisy sad.

Yet you agree when liberals generalize.

You're pretty funny as well, thanks.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:

2nd - On average, 100% of the babies aborted are innocent, yet liberals want to to kill them, and free the 90% of the death row people that are guilty (if your stats are correct)
The only girl I know who had an abortion is a conservative farm girl transplant, who feared her parents response to her pregnancy.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Yet you agree when liberals generalize.

You're pretty funny as well, thanks.
In other words, you just got caught doing what it is you're bawling about and you have no real excuse, so you play "I-know-you-are-but-what-am-I?"

Funny, in a tragic, sad clown kind of way.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:27 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My number one problem with Christians personally, is that a vast majority of them haven't read the whole bible, from cover to cover.

Then, not knowing the truth for themselves, will stand up and swear the the bible is the undisputed word of God, and that EVERYONE should follow its example.

Yet, they don't know anything about the numerous contradictions that lie within it. They don't know about the subjugation of women that it says you're supposed to do. They don't know that the only place Jesus ever supposedly said he was the Messiah, was before the court of priests, out of public view, and facing execution. They don't know that MEN wrote the bible, and decidedly left out books that were widely accepted by early Christians, because they didn't like the message, and it didn't jive with their Roman sense of religious conformity.

But, the bible isn't disputable, its Gods word for sure, because their priest said it is.

Thats my problem with Christianity. To quick to judge, persecute, and look down at others, over a book that Christ himself wouldn't recognize, in an attempt to keep a moral code, that isn't any of their damned business.

Thats my problem, and if you say its a gross exaggeration, you're full of crap and you know it.

Most Christians can claim stupidity about their faith, but that is no excuse for their allowing it to be used as a political agenda, by people who don't give a damn about them or their faith.
What would reading the whole Bible, from cover to cover, really accomplish? Sure, the story would likely be much clearer, but it should be pointed out that its not really a story at all. It was never intended to be a chronological set of events leading to some sort of climax and followed by some sort of conclusion like a novel. It was intended to be a book of guidance. Are you of the opinion that the books of the Bible that have been excluded over the centuries would actually tell people to kill, tell people to idolize, tell people to use God's name in vein? Are you of the opinion that those missing books are the key to understanding God's will, and without them its impossible? What exactly do you think is missing? The books of the Bible that were left out are indeed a mystery, but does that really detract from the overall message of Christianity? I don't think it does.

God's words are all to often misconstrued, but in reality they are very simple. The message of salvation is clear. The Ten Commandments are clear. The message of judgement is clear. The message of end times is clear. Instead of bashing Christians, who will also be judged by God himself, why don't you take the time to learn what it really means to be a Christian instead of using society's blemished religious record to form your opinion?

Old 05-14-2010, 10:28 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The article has some merit. But the entire premise is set upon the notion that Christians should live and let live, which is counter to many Christian ideals. God did not call upon his children to sit idly by while the world zooms past in sinister fashion. Christians are called to spread the word, which is a concept that is obviously lost upon this "Christian" author. According to him, Christians should shut up, study up, and butt out of everone's business. Which is precisely why I said that it was a "decidedly liberal" view of Christianity. It fits quite well with the "free-love for all, no matter the cost, no matter the consequence" philosophy encompassed by liberal ideology.

The Spanish Inquisition ended a long time ago. No one likes being forced into what they should and should not believe. That is why the Christians should butt out of everyone elses business, and keep check their own lives.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:29 AM

698 posts, read 1,510,370 times
I agree with the article, but not all Christians fall under these 10 categories. While I myself am an agnostic you can't deny that there are some good people in the church trying to accomplish meaningful things.

I think the biggest problem is that the church is to involved in politics which corrupts both our political system and the church. It not only makes our country look like a crappy middle eastern country but it also defeats the ideals of the people who founded this country. The first people that came to this country came here to escape the combined power of the corrupt church and state.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:40 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:

1st

2nd

Why are you changing the subject. No one wants people to have abortions, show me where someone wishes there was more abortions.

You're the one who brought up the death penalty, not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality