Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 11:02 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
this is a pipe dream gabfest. We have to form up in groups. Groups just seem to work better than no groups.

Moderator cut: We aren't discussing guns in the R&S forums.

Yes, there is always incent people getting hurt. We get to choose who they are. Today, in America, we are choosing police, women, and children to be in the most danger. So you have 1/2 a point there.
Your post has nothing to do with what I posted.
Anything is a pipe dream to those who are co-dependent. My worldview doesn't depend and/or include you or any groups. I wasn't born with you and/or any groups and more than likely that's way I'll die.

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-16-2021 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Quoted post edited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 12:30 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Anything is a pipe dream to those who are co-dependent. My worldview doesn't depend and/or include you or any groups. I wasn't born with you and/or any groups and more than likely that's way I'll die.
Nevertheless human beings classify all sorts of things, including groups of people. In and of itself that's no problem. It is simply a way for mankind's brain to organize thoughts. Of course, individual's can misuse classification for bad purposes.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Nevertheless human beings classify all sorts of things, including groups of people. In and of itself that's no problem. It is simply a way for mankind's brain to organize thoughts. Of course, individual's can misuse classification for bad purposes.
Whites (males) tend to benefit from labeling/grouping, the rest not so much.

Do you any thoughts in regards to the OP?

Old 04-16-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Whites (males) tend to benefit from labeling/grouping, the rest not so much.

Do you any thoughts in regards to the OP?
My serious relationships have all been mixed race, and therefore mixed culture. Such relationships -- including between a religionist and an atheists -- require a little extra work. That's up to the two people in the relationship, and to hell with what others think...including parents. One of the finest couples I have ever known live next door; she's a religionist, he's an atheist.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:18 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Well, the co dependent thing is hog wash. Lets just stay focused on your anti-grouping.

"Mobs" are dangerous. Team work can be magical.

Groups formed up under liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all people make more sense than your, well, whatever is you are selling.

Wait for it ...

Old 04-16-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Well, the co dependent thing is hog wash. Lets just stay focused on your anti-grouping.

"Mobs" are dangerous. Team work can be magical.

Groups formed up under liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all people make more sense than your, well, whatever is you are selling.

Wait for it ...
Let's focus on you and your lack of spirituality, since you can never address the thread topics. Why do you want to lecture other adults whether they want it or not? Do you understand the term 'overbearing'?

Overbearing means domineering. You might find it difficult to play the piano as your overbearing instructor criticizes every key you touch. The adjective overbearing typically describes a person who is haughty and dictatorial.
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/overbearing

Old 04-16-2021, 02:39 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
I'd be way more concerned if my son or daughter were marrying someone who was a) lazy, b) dishonest, c) self-centered, and d) disrespectful of my child as his or her partner in life.

When your kids turn 18, your say-so in their lives comes to an abrupt halt. So you'd be a complete idiot to try and manipulate your children out of a relationship just because his or her chosen one in life doesn't check all your boxes. That's a surefire way to lose your children, far more than the religious views of the people they marry.

As far as the 'dregs of humanity' are concerned, I've seen a lot of so-called Christians who talk the talk but definitely don't walk the want in their personal lives. I'd rather know an atheist who lives his or her life ethically and morally than a Christian who does not.

People who think they can control their adult kids have zero idea how foolish they are. Or the damage they cause.

And let's be real. It has to do more with the egotism of the parent than any sense of piety.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 04-16-2021 at 02:53 PM..

Old 04-19-2021, 10:58 AM

237 posts, read 125,049 times
It often amazes me how controversial this sort of thing is, because my dad was totally cool with me marrying a non-theist.

The most common objection we heard was quotation of 2 Corinthians 6:14, but that verse and surrounding passage has nothing to do with marriage between a believer and unbeliever. The Apostle Paul addresses that topic much more specifically in 1 Corinthians 7 - and allows such marriages!

So yeah, my dad defended the relationship in discussions with both a pastor, and with a community of very conservative Reformed people online who tried to dissuade me from the marriage.

He knew my husband-to-be better than they did anyway.

It's sometimes been a headache trying to explain this to many other conservative Christians, though. They try a lot of theological gymnastics with 1 Corinthians 7 all while trying to make 2 Corinthians 6:14 about marriage when it's clearly not.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:14 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khendra View Post
It often amazes me how controversial this sort of thing is, because my dad was totally cool with me marrying a non-theist.

The most common objection we heard was quotation of 2 Corinthians 6:14, but that verse and surrounding passage has nothing to do with marriage between a believer and unbeliever. The Apostle Paul addresses that topic much more specifically in 1 Corinthians 7 - and allows such marriages!

So yeah, my dad defended the relationship in discussions with both a pastor, and with a community of very conservative Reformed people online who tried to dissuade me from the marriage.

He knew my husband-to-be better than they did anyway.

It's sometimes been a headache trying to explain this to many other conservative Christians, though. They try a lot of theological gymnastics with 1 Corinthians 7 all while trying to make 2 Corinthians 6:14 about marriage when it's clearly not.
Sounds like your father loves you and respects you as well.

I don't know if my wife told her father that we are both atheists but she did once tell him I was Jewish. I had visited his house lots of weekends so , this was one the phone, he asked they dont eat pork do they and she replied I do and love pork. It was then fine as he had served me pier in the past and felt it had not done anything wrong then.

I loved him and miss him very much. Mind you he was a wedding and funeral Christian that surprised his kids that he left a donation to the Church in his will.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:18 AM

I know this isn't always true, but I have often seen where in this scenario, it's the parents refusing their blessing who end up suffering the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality