Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:25 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times

Advertisements

Conspiracy theories: we should have a forum here on C-D to remove such secular stuff from the Religion & Philosophy sub.

Much of what I've read in the past few weeks, since some gloating non-thinker posted ominous warnings over on the Christianity sub about how this all points, without any doubt, to The Imminent End Times, clearly shows nothing out of the ordinary. (Actually, a careful review shows a general decline in the number of earth temblors) Imagine: a bunch of untrained, non-geologists out there with nonetheless "absolute" predictions! But, in fact, there is lots of "trembling" hope in their voices....

It's been pointed out on several moderate Christian websites that no-where in the bible does it say that such End times will be presaged by massive global catastrophe. What has been correctly deduced by scientists who actually monitor this stuff 24/7 is that some past trends in global warming or cooling have perhaps triggered some tectonic instabilities, or flexing of plates due to oceanic temp shifts. There's pretty good correlation, in fact.

This seems far me likely than some Godly messages, especially since there's no such mention in the bible, and none in the Qu'Ran. Rather, the correct read is that, when the mythical End Times do happen, so will the necessary global geological or climatological catastrophes. Not until then.

Otherwise, these events, so much better monitored than ever before, are just a common geological reality. There will always be blips.

And as someone once said: "There are... lies, damned lies, and statistics"

(nope; not Mark Twain, tho' he referenced it:

Mark Twain quotations - Statistics)

Those who insist "Oooohhh! This is it! Praise the Lord" are only showing their complete lack of ability to have successfully dealt with life's little problems and challenges, and who are thus impatiently and wishfully hoping for just such an event. They're also convinced that by appropriate devotional behavior to the God of their choice, they will magically be saved and placed in a favored place alongside Jesus (it will be pretty crowded there, huh? I'd expect a lot of shoving and squabbling...)

Better to deal with life on your own, and not let others do your thinking for you, yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 04:45 PM

6,957 posts, read 6,882,745 times
Yes, I do not think that earthquakes are a particularly good indicator of end times, and I think the current world political stage is perhaps a better one. I feel there is more liklihood of a WW3 at some point due to squabbling or one nation offending another or pushing them over the edge and then we will have the end times predicted by so many.

It appears to be a another scare-mongering tactic to drive more people into seeking spiritual guidance from others and placing controlling restrictions on more people. The sad part about it is that we all generally seem to want to give up our power and free will to some other agency - whether it be the government or a religious organisation it does not matter, the outcome is the same.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:02 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times
Cool This just in... Drilled, no doubt by God. God's own drain-hole!

Now I understand how God drained Noah's Great Flood so easily!

Flooding opens up sinkholes in Guatemala City - Yahoo! News Photos

I mean... it's OBVIOUS, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality