Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 06:22 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times

Advertisements

In further polls Gallup indicates 65% of people who attend church weekly do believe God created Man, in his present form, in the last 10,000 years. This is true even of those who are college graduates, although among weekly attenders with post-grad education the percent believing in "present form, 10,000 years ago" drops to 44%.

American Beliefs: Evolution vs. Bible's Explanation of Human Origins

So maybe allenk had more basis than I thought in his statements on Christians, but then again maybe not as American Christians are somewhat unusual. (The Philippines, as I recall, is intensely Christian yet not so opposed to evolution. Although it's more Catholic, Anglican, and Methodist or forms of those)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 06:31 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
With the exception of former creationists turned reality seekers like Michael Shermer, there is nothing that would convince a creationist evolution is true.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:04 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
With the exception of former creationists turned reality seekers like Michael Shermer, there is nothing that would convince a creationist evolution is true.
People have a hard time saying they were wrong. It is usual those who are truthful to themselves that will make the step, but not immediately, usual over a long period of time..

Every time a creationist refuses to answer this question, or see a creationist argument debunked, it will just be another chip at the dogma, that his holding their beliefs in stone. Of course, some people have these case in an undiscovered, extremely strong rare element, or compound.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:19 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Nothing could convince them. There could be indisputable evidence right in front of their face for them to personally verify. And yet they would claim it as false and a trick of satan. Anything that defies their ingrained beleifs, no matter if it is true or not, is from the devil by default. It's a classic defense mechanism.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:59 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Nothing could convince them. There could be indisputable evidence right in front of their face for them to personally verify. And yet they would claim it as false and a trick of satan. Anything that defies their ingrained beleifs, no matter if it is true or not, is from the devil by default. It's a classic defense mechanism.
This sounds exactly like, if someone asked an atheist what it would take to believe in God, and if there was indisputable proof right in front of their face, they would say it was their mind playing tricks on him / her. Funny how people are so similar with such differing beliefs.

I do believe that God created the Earth. I think if Darwin actually knew how complex a cell was, he might have rethought his theory. I have taken college level science classes so I do know a little. However, I do think he was right about things evolving over time. There are different traits and characteristics from say a Eskimo, a African, and a European. Plants, animals, and people adapt to their surroundings.

I do not believe that everything on this Earth started from the same thing. That in my mind is a harder pill to swallow than someone creating the Earth. Even Dawkins says he doesn't know for sure, and that aliens could have started life on Earth.

Truth is nobody knows for sure, and honestly no one will ever be 100% sure. I guess it would take for me seeing or someone actually document a planet that was formed, and then life in all its complexities like Earth started from absolutely nothing. Then I would have to believe.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:22 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
This sounds exactly like, if someone asked an atheist what it would take to believe in God, and if there was indisputable proof right in front of their face, they would say it was their mind playing tricks on him / her. Funny how people are so similar with such differing beliefs.
I don't think that is true at all. There is a huge difference between accepting something that has tons of evidence and proof, (evolution) and something that has no evidence at all (Gods). I think most atheists would accept God as real, all he needs to do is prove himself, the way he is said to have done thousands of years ago...He has not shown himself since. Why do you suppose that is?...Since there is no proof of the existence of God, yours or anyone elses, I will continue to be skeptical.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I don't think that is true at all. There is a huge difference between accepting something that has tons of evidence and proof, (evolution) and something that has no evidence at all (Gods). I think most atheists would accept God as real, all he needs to do is prove himself, the way he is said to have done thousands of years ago...He has not shown himself since. Why do you suppose that is?...Since there is no proof of the existence of God, yours or anyone elses, I will continue to be skeptical.
I do respect your reasoning. I asked that question a while back ( i have been away from CD for a while now ) on this forum and some atheists said that even if God spoke to them directly that they don't know if that would be enough because it could have been a hallucination or something to that effect.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Orphaned, off topic side discussion

I don't have a problem with the age of the Earth. Yes, it is very old. No one truly knows the actual age and we probably never will. I don't think God's day runs on the same 24hr cycle as ours does. Of course since I am a believer, I don't agree with Darwin that we all came from the same thing. And as I said before, if he had the information that we do now, I would bet he wouldn't think so either. The cell is just so complex. As I said in a previous post, that everything evolves and changes over time. So to a certain extent yes I do believe in evolution.

I don't think there is as big of a division between religion and science as some may think. They can go hand in hand, but you have to keep a open mind to both.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-06-2010 at 11:48 AM..

Old 06-06-2010, 01:13 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
I think Darwin would be thrilled with the discoveries made since his demise...Everything we find confirms his theory. The discovery of DNA alone and the fact that every living thing shares DNA is strong evidence that all life, plants, animals and even bacteria have a common ancestor.

One isn’t such a lonely number. All life on Earth shares a single common ancestor, a new statistical analysis confirms.
Read More Life on Earth Arose Just Once | Wired Science | Wired.com

Old 06-06-2010, 05:51 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
This is a baiting question, looking for an argument. If you consider the group you are questioning, you know that theirs is a faith-based religion. They are conditioned by their religion to look past what is known empirically, to accept what cannot be known that way.

Rather than argue to try to get someone to come to your beliefs, why not practice tolerance of another's differences. In the end, it doesn't matter what others believe. It is your beliefs you must come to terms with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality