Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2024, 12:29 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
DEN > LAS = <$100RT during airfare sales. (I've seen it for under $50 RT, but often $39 each way ~ (1-2) fills of gas in 'the-rig'

Only ONE person needs to go (the most sensitive to weather and conditions and desires for home)

Even cheaper to fly to Reno.

The last rental car in LAS (last month) we got was $38 / day (and you can sleep in it). Reno I've got $19/ day rental cars (and slept in them there too)

The quest and the trek need not be complicated. A weekend will discover 48 hrs of first hand data. For the 'non-employed' person.... What's a day or 2 out of their life? (Vs the cost of a move / security deposits, utilities) Probably wastes more than a couple days just to box up the kitchen stuff.

When we target an info gathering trip, we 'divide-and-conquer'. Split up and drill down, then meet for supper to discuss the details we each discovered. Can hit about 10 - 20 places each / day. (Apartments, stores, services, venues) A 'Spreadsheet' helps a lot! We have one that includes WY, CO, ID, SD places we've searched. Reno Sparks was a very short visit... Spouse said... 'nope, I won't even come and visit you here!' OK, check that one off and shelve it for a later 'solo' date.

The BB2s do everything together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2024, 11:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
The BB2s do everything together.
Yep, we know they need a high level of 'reassurance'. But for the next thousand 'capable' readers...

There's the popular option... Just Do It! (already....).

Doesn't make for a very long and drawn out 'story / yarn / tale / saga'

Old 03-09-2024, 11:29 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
Nope!! The disaster was moving here, but we didn't have the finances to fly or drive here to find out.
And yet you had a bounty of advice from people warning you about the extreme heat and lack of "rodeo culture" and you took your chances and look what happened. You will dislike Reno for the exact same reasons you dislike Henderson and Vegas. Others keep suggesting you look out for towards Fallon/Fernley/Dayton, but you seem to think you'll be able to find something affordable in the Carson Valley. It ain't happening in Carson City. Here's my prediction: you won't anything you're imagining. Too many government workers living there on government salaries, or families with long histories/connections to the land. You cannot afford Genoa, Gardnerville, or Minden either.

But have fun at the rodeo-- I'm sure that's all you'll really think about while you're up there, and then you'll repeat the same mistake of booking some apartment sight unseen and hating it all over again.

Old 03-09-2024, 12:03 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Go for Dayton then you are just outside of Carson City.

Old 03-09-2024, 12:24 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
To my knowledge the closest BB2s got to "small" places in last few decades were Parker and an NC suburb after they were already pretty near in and rapidly growing suburbs of Denver and Charlotte.

I really doubt they pick / stay in a place under 50k population and even 50k for Carson City at its distance from the more urbaness of Reno may be doubtful. How near in to shopping, dining, movie theaters and medical, availability of big, newer apartment complexes and perhaps more things about general modern urbaness appears to be important factor.

Passion for rodeo with strong place choice pattern for modern urban is a mix.

It is up to them to figure it out.

If they ask questions, folks should try to respond as able & willing. But there haven't been any specific questions after a general call for wisdom. Give more or repeated wisdom as desired.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-09-2024 at 12:48 PM..

Old 03-09-2024, 12:34 PM

Nowhereman427, if you are comfortable saying, are you leaning more toward staying on the fringe of a modern, growing metro in a place like Dayton or somewhere in Wyoming outside or maybe more than just a bit outside a smaller to much smaller Wyoming metro or micropolitan?

How are you weighing your desire for big box shopping and low snow / clean roads with desire for quiet and conservative government and a more homogenous population? If you want to discuss.

Dayton seems like it may be a better fit for you than Wyoming, but that is just an outside guess, fwiw.

Lots to consider for anyone considering change. Privately or publicly, mainly driven by their choice.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-09-2024 at 12:52 PM..

Old 03-09-2024, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Nowhereman427, if you are comfortable saying, are you leaning more toward staying on the fringe of a modern, growing metro in a place like Dayton or somewhere in Wyoming outside or maybe more than just a bit outside a smaller to much smaller Wyoming metro?

How are you weighing your desire for big box shopping and low snow / clean roads with desire for quiet and conservative government and a more homogenous population? If you want to discuss.

Dayton seems like it may be a better fit for you than Wyoming, but that is just an outside guess, fwiw.

Lots to consider for anyone considering change. Privately or publicly, mainly driven by their choice.
This is true as it will be an interesting comparison between the 2 to 3 states.

Yes there is a definite BIG lifestyle change here but it is best for me to find a place where the time goes by slow. Everything in moderation as a whole.

Old 03-09-2024, 01:32 PM

206 posts, read 134,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
This is true as it will be an interesting comparison between the 2 to 3 states.

Yes there is a definite BIG lifestyle change here but it is best for me to find a place where the time goes by slow. Everything in moderation as a whole.
well, at least you have (2) Dayton's and each are relatively nice and close to really great places.

That can narrow it down a bit!

Old 03-09-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartNox18 View Post
well, at least you have (2) Dayton's and each are relatively nice and close to really great places.

That can narrow it down a bit!
Montana was on the list but it got dropped as the prices just soared too much and the type of home I seek is new construction/newest home I can get.
Must say it has come down to Wyoming, Northern Nevada and Idaho. Seems to be Idaho has the new construction of homes that are being built in different areas of Idaho now that are the most affordable. Though I have to look into property taxes in that state.

Old 03-09-2024, 02:50 PM

Stealth, beyond direct air / car / hotel sites and any special deals there especially for frequent guests, what are your very top budget deal travel sites?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area