Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2024, 12:17 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,516,151 times

Advertisements

be warned - if you decide to take the 395, you will be in california. which means california gas prices, california speed limits, etc. while it is a prettier drive, i did not like the inconsistent speed limit changes (this stretch you get to do 55mph, the next stretch it's 35, next thing you know there are no posted signs) nor do i like paying thru the nose for gas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 12:51 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
My wife doesn't want to move to Texas, so we don't move there. As far as "just wear what you want", we do, but it would be nice to see some, not necessarily a lot, of folks wearing western apparel also. That would make if feel that we "fit in" better. However, we do understand about "who cares what others think".
I was on a road trip from Arizona to Ohio last month, via Roswell, New Mexico. Although Roswell is famous for all of the UFO stories, it is the hub of eastern New Mexico and genuine cowboy country. It is not a fake cowboy town either, it is the real deal. Same thing goes for Clovis and Portales, about an hour northeast. The Sacramento Mountains and Ruidoso are just one hour or so west. The Sacramento Mountains include peaks above 9000 or 10000 feet and are rugged and impressive.

I stopped at a cafe for lunch in a town near Roswell, and couldn't help but notice a table full of vaqueros with boots and spurs on. Their horses were tied up on the side of the cafe!

Old 03-27-2024, 12:51 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
be warned - if you decide to take the 395, you will be in california. which means california gas prices, california speed limits, etc. while it is a prettier drive, i did not like the inconsistent speed limit changes (this stretch you get to do 55mph, the next stretch it's 35, next thing you know there are no posted signs) nor do i like paying thru the nose for gas
Not taking the 395. Take the 95. It's like I told RosieSD, "this isn't a sightseeing trip, it's a "relocation" type trip.

Actually my SIL (wife's older sister) wants to get a Timeshare in Reno area, so she could see us. We've already told her that the trip is not a vacation, and she still insists on seeing us. So, we keep telling her that we haven't decided yet when we will go, which is a lie, but that's the way it is. We've already got two hotels reserved.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:58 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I was on a road trip from Arizona to Ohio last month, via Roswell, New Mexico. Although Roswell is famous for all of the UFO stories, it is the hub of eastern New Mexico and genuine cowboy country. It is not a fake cowboy town either, it is the real deal. Same thing goes for Clovis and Portales, about an hour northeast. The Sacramento Mountains and Ruidoso are just one hour or so west. The Sacramento Mountains include peaks above 9000 or 10000 feet and are rugged and impressive.

I stopped at a cafe for lunch in a town near Roswell, and couldn't help but notice a table full of vaqueros with boots and spurs on. Their horses were tied up on the side of the cafe!
Cowboy country to us would mean ranching country. We know much more about professional rodeo than we do about ranching. I know some about ranching, but know a whole lot more about farming. The ranching community have their own rodeo association, which isn't a part of the rodeo association I was in.

There are a number of both PRCA World Champions and other rodeo cowboys that live in New Mexico.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Funny, I was going to suggest just that. What most don't know is US 395 is a sub highway of US 95. Just North of Tonopah you can cutover on US 6 to Benton and take CA 120 to 395 just South of Mono lake. 395 runs inside Nevada from Topaz lake at the stateline to the Coldsprings valley where we live for 83 miles. It is really the main path for our region. While very beautiful from just North of Ridgecrest through the Biggest Little City it is also very pretty and remote through Oregon. For the same reason I suggest travel in June truckers use a similar path in Winter to avoid 3 8000 foot passes on this gem of a highway. As a California native I may be a bit biased or it's just the striking beauty of the Eastern Sierra?

Staying on 95 though to Fallon you might find more people dressed as you're accustom. Reno has a Berkeley hippie element that I see here that multiplies during Burningman.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:35 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Funny, I was going to suggest just that. What most don't know is US 395 is a sub highway of US 95. Just North of Tonopah you can cutover on US 6 to Benton and take CA 120 to 395 just South of Mono lake. 395 runs inside Nevada from Topaz lake at the stateline to the Coldsprings valley where we live for 83 miles. It is really the main path for our region. While very beautiful from just North of Ridgecrest through the Biggest Little City it is also very pretty and remote through Oregon. For the same reason I suggest travel in June truckers use a similar path in Winter to avoid 3 8000 foot passes on this gem of a highway. As a California native I may be a bit biased or it's just the striking beauty of the Eastern Sierra?

Staying on 95 though to Fallon you might find more people dressed as you're accustom. Reno has a Berkeley hippie element that I see here that multiplies during Burningman.
Yes, that stretch of 395 up north between Lone Pine and Carson City is one of the prettiest drives in the West in my opinion. It's also a very easy drive as well and a lot less boring (to us) than sticking with the 95 all the way. My husband and I have a goal of someday driving 395 all the way up to Washington state - MrWillys, I'll have to remember to ask you for some tips on the Oregon stretch when we do.

We've also seen plenty of western wear in the Bishop area. And of course, the views of the Eastern Sierras are just jaw dropping. Bishop is a great little town with a definite Western flair. If I was going to break the drive from Henderson to Reno up into two days, I'd much rather stay in Reno than Tonopah.

BB2, once you move to Northern Nevada, you might plan a stop at the Museum of Western Film History in Lone Pine, another little town on 395. Tons of old western movies were shot in the area between Bishop and Lone Pine -- there's even a map showing all the film locations in the Alabama Hills. As someone who loves the old West feel, you'll feel right at home in that area.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-27-2024 at 02:43 PM..

Old 03-27-2024, 02:55 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
My wife doesn't want to move to Texas, so we don't move there. As far as "just wear what you want", we do, but it would be nice to see some, not necessarily a lot, of folks wearing western apparel also. That would make if feel that we "fit in" better. However, we do understand about "who cares what others think".
I think the two of you have severe insecurities because you can't "fit in" anywhere due to others not wearing western apparel. Just wear what you want to wear and rock it.

Look at my profile picture. I'm almost 50 and I come from Miami. Down there I am used to wearing 6 inch heels to the mall. I wear small things here in Denver because it's what I like and I can pull it off. Do I care about the evil looks from the frumpy women? NO.

So, stop basing your living location on "fitting in clothing wise"

Last edited by himain; 03-27-2024 at 03:06 PM..

Old 03-27-2024, 03:21 PM

783 posts, read 836,666 times
Nobody looks twice at people wearing cowboys hats and boots....it's quite unremarkable among boomers around here...

I worked on local ranches and rode horses with these guys, these are the salt of the earth types...and yes, they speak their mind in a funny way and aren't up on the latest political correctness...I find them funny and refreshing.

Let's keep in mind that older <insert animal here> and certainly humans can find younger generations and their noise, restless energy and lifestyle....annoying and alarming at times

Old 03-27-2024, 03:36 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Yes I concur with you 100% on this. You don't want to come to California. Pay more $$ get less and tons of RESTRICTIONS and less freedoms. More people are trying to get out.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:30 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Yes I concur with you 100% on this. You don't want to come to California. Pay more $$ get less and tons of RESTRICTIONS and less freedoms. More people are trying to get out.
As of today, the average difference between a gallon of gas in Tonopah, NV on 95 and Bishop, CA on the 395 is 20 cents. If you have a truck with a 25 gallon tank, that's a grand difference of $2.50 to fill an empty tank. If that's going to break the bank when you're spending thousands for a moving van for the second time in a year, you've got big problems.

As for "most people" in California "trying to get out" of California, be careful about ascribing your own desires to 39 million people. As we've learned from BB2, one person's thoughts on where they live can be very different from another person's. And your definition of what comprises "freedoms" is not necessarily the same as everyone else's definition either.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-27-2024 at 05:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area