Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 08:13 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,646 times

Advertisements

Need your input. I live behind a "party house." It's a rental with young professionals that have long, drinking, loud parties. I do call the police when the party goes into the evening but it's just very frustrating to have to deal with such inconsiderate neighbors.

The kicker is that my neighbor beside me is the owner of the house. I've talked to him about the loud parties and he's told me to just call the police that there's nothing he can do. I asked him at the least that when/if these tenants move out that he put in a noise clause. He said he didn't think it was legal.

Ff to tonight and there's yet another loud drinking game type party with proably 50 people. No big lots, semi-city neighborhood so noise travels easily. I called the police and actually looked out the window at the right time--about 15 minutes later--and saw the police there. They stayed about 30 seconds and then left. The group cheered after that.

I walked over to the owner of the property (not the renters house) and asked them to please call the police as my call didn't do anything.

The noise is now subsided at 10:11 p.m. but this is no way to live for me and my family.

So, any other ideas to help me be more effective in my calls to the police or maybe with the owner in how to give him inforamtion about what he is able to do? I'm in Virginia, btw. Thanks for ANY input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 09:50 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
There's nothing you can do, other than to move. If the cops aren't going to write a citation, then you can't get them kicked out. They're not even your tenants, so you have no say in the matter. The landlord can run his rental property the way he wants, because it's his property, not yours. Sorry!

Old 07-03-2010, 11:25 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,311 times
I suspect that if the cops came over and didn't write a citation, the noise really wan't that loud. And it sounds like they quited down fairly early, especially considering it's a weekend night.

Have you ever considered asking the people making the noise to keep it down?

Old 07-04-2010, 07:47 AM

Default my drunken neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
I suspect that if the cops came over and didn't write a citation, the noise really wan't that loud. And it sounds like they quited down fairly early, especially considering it's a weekend night. Honetly, try having a peaceful day with an all day party that segues into your evening. The noise laws ask for a reduction of noise from 9p.m. to 7 a.m.
Have you ever considered asking the people making the noise to keep it down?

I went over once to ask them to lower the volume and several guys came to the door drunk and one fell down and the others said, "ut oh, your neighbor's here." They were drunk out of their gores. i guess they have to live next to you before you get how innapropriate this is.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:43 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Is there a Code Enforcement agency in your city? I had a problem with a drug dealer in the senior building next door to where I used to live. I complained to their security guard, receptionist and building manager, and it didn't do any good. I emailed the organization that runs the building, and got no response. I finally documented for one week the date and time that people would scream under this guy's window, and then filed a Code Enforcement complaint. When the building manager received the complaint, they evicted him.

If the person you file against doesn't comply, then they get a big fine.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:37 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,231 times
NfH ( Neighbors from H*ll) are a problem everywhere .. comes down to the choice of move or fight back VIA the laws because these sorts of folks simply do not care ..

Old 07-04-2010, 10:11 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
There's nothing you can do, other than to move. If the cops aren't going to write a citation, then you can't get them kicked out. They're not even your tenants, so you have no say in the matter. The landlord can run his rental property the way he wants, because it's his property, not yours. Sorry!
The only thing I would add is they can be as loud as they want untill 10 pm

Old 07-04-2010, 10:44 AM

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
The only thing I would add is they can be as loud as they want untill 10 pm
Show me where that is written

Old 07-04-2010, 11:56 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Landlords take Code Enforcement very seriously, I wasn't aware they'd get involved in a situation like you mentioned though, thats new to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Is there a Code Enforcement agency in your city? I had a problem with a drug dealer in the senior building next door to where I used to live. I complained to their security guard, receptionist and building manager, and it didn't do any good. I emailed the organization that runs the building, and got no response. I finally documented for one week the date and time that people would scream under this guy's window, and then filed a Code Enforcement complaint. When the building manager received the complaint, they evicted him.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:02 PM

Default more

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post

What state r u in? Glad for your outcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting