Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 03:57 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
That is an excellent point. Not calling the police because they know if the cops show up and see 50 cats and the smell of pee that would cause them issues. Of course we don't know if that is true or not, but it is certainly a plausible explanation.

Thank You I try to look a all sides of a situation and learn from others opinions and thoughts here. I do wonder how many cats the neighbor has
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 04:20 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The process for removal is highly dependant on code enforcement and can be drawn out if there are hearings and appeals.

Many jurisdictions have few restrictions on cat ownership... at least this has been my experience.
In a possible hoarder situation action can be taken usually immediately. Health Dept., Police, Senior Social Services. I do not believe that they are required to go through the lengthy court process to rescue hoarded animals, or a fragile, vulnerable elderly person from the hazards of hoarding conditions.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
In a possible hoarder situation action can be taken usually immediately. Health Dept., Police, Senior Social Services. I do not believe that they are required to go through the lengthy court process to rescue hoarded animals, or a fragile, vulnerable elderly person from the hazards of hoarding conditions.
I'm sure it varies...

Even in all but the most extreme cases... the party involved is given a time frame for compliance.

Unless charges are filed... a person can only be held against there will for 72 hours without a court determination of competency...

Almost any action taken by a court or government agency is subject to appeal...

At least this is my experience.

I bought a home on the verge of condemnation... the notice was posted 48 hours from the time I closed escrow... they were true hoarders in every sense of the word...

The moment I stepped in... the county code enforcement agency inspector was livid... she had 4 months into this...

Because I bought the home and nothing was noted in the Title search... the county was required to start the notification process from the start...

In my case, that 5 week period was enough for me to haul out 7 or 8 30-yard dumpsters and clean and paint everything... by the time the county could act... the nuisance had been abated...

The inspector confided in me later the reason she was so upset because she thought it was merely a delaying tactic and seeing the improvement was very pleased...

Old 01-30-2012, 06:39 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,651,275 times
Landlord,

I see this as a neighbor to neighbor problem, not a landlord problem.

I had something similar happen to me with a rental home. My tenants finally spoke to the fire department regarding their neighbor problem. The fire department then spoke to their neighbors. Problem solved.

What's going on at your rental seems to be an animal control problem. Whether it is true or not, I would recommend your tenants contact animal control to see if it can be resolved.

If the problem persists, your tenants may move, and you can re-rent. Then see if it happens again. I would advise the same procedure to the new tenants.

You can not police the neighborhood. Everyone needs to take care of their own stuff.

Now if a problem arises with the rental home, that is your problem!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,418 times
Default response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
The cats aren't getting a fair chance in life. They all need to be medically checked, spayed, neutered and given rabie shots. Hoarders do not genreally take care of their animals and most often, from what have seen, they often don't know when any of the cats are sick and in need of vet help.

You really do need to intervenen here. If your tenant is shooting them what do you think will happen if the tenant doesn't kill the cat and the poor animal is left suffering or worse yet if the tenant, assuming the tenant is shoot at the cats, ends up missing a targeted cat and ends up killing a human. Also losing a tenant doesn't mean you can't find another person to rent out the house to. I would look into this and make a decision as to whether or not your tenant is worth keeping if he/she is using a weapon or poison to kill them. IMO, if your tenant is that violent you need to remove him/her from the property immediately. There's no excuse for violence like that if the claim is true. I'm surprised the town officials haven't been called by a neighbor.
Ok the whole story was not told in the beginning to try and not bias the responses.

The 'neighbor' IS a cat hoarder. There are over 15 cats that stay indoors and many many that are being fed outside by this neighbor and his wife.

This has been a problem for the tenant for 6 months. Both parties are not working with each other to resolve. The tenant has been offered humane traps etc and have turned these offers down.

The 'stray' cats outside that the neighbor is feeding are being fed under the tenants bushes and the 'neighbors' went so far as to make beds in said bushes. There has been a formal request now to the 'neighbor' to remove these items and not place them on the property.

I do not condone the shooting of these animals. This was an illegal and inhumane act but the 'neighbor' didn't report it right away. We have no proof to speak of...a witness, but by the time the police came out that was all there was...considered hearsay.

I do not think it's the problem of the landlord in this matter. Both parties are being petty and need to resolve and get along. There are way too many cats. I take care of strays in my apt as well and even with that there is a limit!

Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interested party 95620 View Post
Ok the whole story was not told in the beginning to try and not bias the responses.

The 'neighbor' IS a cat hoarder. There are over 15 cats that stay indoors and many many that are being fed outside by this neighbor and his wife.

This has been a problem for the tenant for 6 months. Both parties are not working with each other to resolve. The tenant has been offered humane traps etc and have turned these offers down.

The 'stray' cats outside that the neighbor is feeding are being fed under the tenants bushes and the 'neighbors' went so far as to make beds in said bushes. There has been a formal request now to the 'neighbor' to remove these items and not place them on the property.

I do not condone the shooting of these animals. This was an illegal and inhumane act but the 'neighbor' didn't report it right away. We have no proof to speak of...a witness, but by the time the police came out that was all there was...considered hearsay.

I do not think it's the problem of the landlord in this matter. Both parties are being petty and need to resolve and get along. There are way too many cats. I take care of strays in my apt as well and even with that there is a limit!
who are you? The op under another name?

Old 01-31-2012, 04:33 AM

241 posts, read 793,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Was just wondering that myself ... who is this?

Old 01-31-2012, 08:38 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It's one of the cats.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:39 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,644 times
Call the humane society... best way to deal with it.

Cat hoarding is NOT humane to the animals, and a run-down property next to yours will affect your property's value... so your neighbour is really not doing anyone a favor (not even the cats), but their own selfishness.

You are NOT your parents & represent their good faith or whatever to be roped into being on good terms with them.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,644 times
P.S. I would document all the complaints by my tenant (if I am in your shoes), document all my acts to try (and photos of cats, urine spray etc., damage to the property) & resolve this issue... just in case my tenants decides to sue me for my breach of contract for not maintaining my property to make it "live-able" to their standards... also so I could sue back what losses that I have from my neighbour & their cat-hoarding crimes, should my tenant bail & cause me to "lose profits" from that property or if that tenant takes me to court.

One never takes the seriousness of such "selfish acts" as to letting animals lose on other's properties until someone's financial is effected....

So yeah, protect yourself!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting