Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:43 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times

Advertisements

There are some pretty mean posts on here. I hope OP isn't reading this thread. It can be very upsetting for a single person with a small baby, looking at the possibility of being homeless pretty soon, then to have folks taking jabs online.

It is my assumption that child support was attempted immediately. But this can take time when the other party fights it, is my guess.

Jennie, if you are reading this, I am sorry that many posters chose to jab you. I hope you get a job very soon and I hope the child support starts coming in soon so you dont become homeless. This must be very scary for you.

Move closer to the bigger cities to get a good job in HR. There are fortune 500 companies in those big cities that hire high paid HR folks. Not so much in your town as far as your HR career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 04:50 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennieb25 View Post
Hello:
I am renting in the state of Florida.
I started my lease back in July of 2011. The rental company (its a LLC/Management company). I was on Unemployment Insurance/Benefits. They (the management company) accepted that as income. They stated as long as I made 2 1/2 times the rent, they would rent to me.
Fast Forward...my Unemployment Benefits are ending Saturday, August 18, 2012. I will not have the money to pay my September rent. I have been applying for numerous jobs for over a year..I have had interviews but no formal offers of employment.
My question is: If the apartment begins the eviction process....can I state my case that they accepted my unemployment $$$ as income, knowing that would end?
I'm not trying to dodge any financial obligations...its just that I need to obtain a job. Even the hourly cashier/sales associates jobs are not hiring me. I have my MBA, 2 bachelor degrees and 15 years of experience...the economy is just B-A-D
Any advice would be appreciated.
First, find out if there is an extension for your unemployment benefits. Sometimes at the local unemployment office, there are jobs posted. Check those out. Next, call a job recruiting agency and make an appointment to see if they can place you in a position. I believe that the agency will pay the fee to the employer should you get hired. Next, be ready to find a job that might be well outside your field of expertise. My husband has an Associates, A Bachelors and a Masters Degree with enough credits to go for his PHD. He was an Art Major, did some teaching and hated it and is now a Unix Systems Administrator a job he found through a recruiting agency. He is boku smart so he has caught on to the whole computer world really fast..makes decent money but like I said, it is well outside his realm of studies.
One step at a time and don't panic! Unemployment office first, then a recruiter. Also, there is always a need for good teachers, have you thought of getting certified to teach? Good Luck. I am retired and am so grateful that I got out of the business world and work world when I did. Hopefully more of us Baby Boomers will retire so others can find work in our place.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:35 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
There are some pretty mean posts on here. I hope OP isn't reading this thread. It can be very upsetting for a single person with a small baby, looking at the possibility of being homeless pretty soon, then to have folks taking jabs online.

While this is true, some people need to be shocked into reality.
Not much advice will help a person with the OPs mindset except where to immediately get another $80,000 a year job.
There are social service options that might be available but she won't make it on them with those spending habits.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:37 AM

86 posts, read 354,858 times
Sware2cod:

thanks for the words.

Yes, I did file for chil support once I had my son. Yes, his father is "not cooperating.". We actually have mediation today. He had to come down from NJ to attend. I have a lawyer, as does he so my legal fees to get not only child support and custody have exceeded $10K.

What people dont understand is that I made $80K in NJ...not Florida...and NJ has a much higher cost of living. Example: my apartment in NJ was $1600 per month. Once I lost my job in March, I moved down here in July.

Regards to formula....WIC does NOT cover formula for the entire month. They only issue 7 small canisters for the month That lasts my son...less than a week. He is a growing boy. I am using one of the cheapest formulas out there. Gerber.

Anyway, I said my peace. I have not had time to ask the moderator to close this thread. Nor is it that important to me.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:10 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Jennie..how did the meeting go? I hope it well and you'll be able to get the money owed to you and your son.

Good luck and please make sure you come and update us with your situation. So many ppl post here and then we never know how things worked out.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:02 AM

Good Morning KIM IN FL:

Mediation went great. Everything is resolved. He has to start making child support payments effective August 1, 2012 every month until his income deduction (via wage garnishment) kicks in. That should take 3-4 months. So, hopefully I will have my first child support payment in a few days. Everything is Cout ordered.

It was a tough, tiring day. The good news is the baby is getting the financial support he is entitled to, and the arrears from baby's DOB (almost a year ago) will also be paid.

Once again, just rossing fingers he will pay me until the income deduction takes place.

The best part was that he, the father, met his son for the very first time yesterday. That was nice and great to see.

Jen

Old 07-28-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Good Morning KIM IN FL:

Mediation went great. Everything is resolved. He has to start making child support payments effective August 1, 2012 every month until his income deduction (via wage garnishment) kicks in. That should take 3-4 months. So, hopefully I will have my first child support payment in a few days. Everything is Cout ordered.

It was a tough, tiring day. The good news is the baby is getting the financial support he is entitled to, and the arrears from baby's DOB (almost a year ago) will also be paid.

Once again, just rossing fingers he will pay me until the income deduction takes place.

The best part was that he, the father, met his son for the very first time yesterday. That was nice and great to see.

Jen

Yahoo!!!! That's awesome, Jen...just flippin awesome!! I bet that was a huge weight off of your shoulders. Will you be able to stay where you are now? I know this was a tough thread for you, but you did get some excellent advice.

thanks for update!

Old 07-28-2012, 07:40 AM

Hi Kim in FL.

Yes, it does feel as if a weight has been lifted. But, I'm not out of woods yet. Waiting to see if he actually pays....even my lawyer stated just because...does not mean he will pay. Granted, it will start coming out of his paycheck...but that takes 3-4 months for the State of Florida to set up.

If he does pay....yes I can stay in my apartment with no problem. Once again, if he does pay. Also, at least now I have a signed Court Order. And the other good news is...he was ordered to pay my legal fees. Whew....thats another weight off my shoulders. Those fees were hight (no fault of my own)...he just was prorastinating intentionally for the last year. I.E. not showing up for mediations, not sending in his taxes and pay stubs, not responding to inquiries, etc...

I will keep you posted....I'm not out of the woods...

Old 07-28-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Hi Kim in FL.

Yes, it does feel as if a weight has been lifted. But, I'm not out of woods yet. Waiting to see if he actually pays....even my lawyer stated just because...does not mean he will pay. Granted, it will start coming out of his paycheck...but that takes 3-4 months for the State of Florida to set up.

If he does pay....yes I can stay in my apartment with no problem. Once again, if he does pay. Also, at least now I have a signed Court Order. And the other good news is...he was ordered to pay my legal fees. Whew....thats another weight off my shoulders. Those fees were hight (no fault of my own)...he just was prorastinating intentionally for the last year. I.E. not showing up for mediations, not sending in his taxes and pay stubs, not responding to inquiries, etc...

I will keep you posted....I'm not out of the woods...
True, but you're getting closer. Just take it one day at a time. Sounds like this guy is a real douche I hope he does right by you and your son.

I suggest you go and talk to your landlord now and explain the situation, they may work with you.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:51 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Cheers on getting the support order and every bit of good luck that it happens as it's supposed to.
It is a shame that you (and others in the same circumstances)had to fight for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting