Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times

Advertisements

[quote=R.J. Kencade;27611413]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I have a co worker who has one child and she gets $468 a month in food stamps. Not to mention free medical, dental and vision...all on my tax dollars and when she was offered a full time postion with excellent benefits..she said no, I can't give up my govt assistance!!

quote]

Have you ever worked for the Federal Government? Well, I currently work for the FEDS.

TRUST ME ON THIS.............If you could see the amount of money FED agencies waste, you'd be happy to have welfare recipients have your money. The money spent of public assistance programs is pennies on the dollar compared to what the FEDS spend and waste money on.
When I was in the Military I just about passed out with shock! $30 comode or gov was paying $1,000! Unreal that was in 1980s! Tiny nut & bolt assmb I could buy for 20 cents Cov was paying $20 for!!! & folks Complain about Gov Helping Low Income Families! Unreal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 PM

532 posts, read 1,464,499 times
Well, apparently you can't refuse section 8 in NJ .
Good point.. for areas you are allowed to reject it about being upfront.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Yes I am on Section 8

So your viewpont is obviously biased.

I dont understand the attacks by others, though, on landlords or would-be landlords who choose not to accept Section 8 tenants. It's their property and they shouldnt be made to feel defensive for renting to whomever they want, whether or not their decision is based on prejudice.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
The majority of Section 8 voucher holders are seniors and/or disabled.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 PM

I am Disable & DID own my own home! For the past 5 yrs we been dealing with Apts/rentals I cant believe the Nasty things I have incountered in LL/Apt Mgrs! I also Mgr rentals when I was younger so I Have been on Both sides! I Never turned down Section 8 unless they failed to met other qulifications set by owners. Frends of mine left the country for 2 yrs travel for pleasure & asked me to mgr their apts/ & small trailer park where she owned the trailers. I collected rents & deposited them into her account & over the time rented out apts at different times. She had leases left with me drawn up by Lawyer. Later Decades later I rented out my home in hopes of not losing it & moved in with my son. I lost it in the end. Then my sons home we did rent to own Twice then Katrina hit we gave up lost that home Tho at the last week it was perchased by a Slumlord!! & Saved my sons credit. So I been Involved in Mgr side of renting Now a Rentor myself. My son was hit by a car & hasnt been able to work in 8 yrs! My SSD chck just couldnt cover the morgage & other bills Esp when Katrina hit & Oil Prices sky rocketed! 99 cent a gal heating oil went to $5 a gal!! No way I could afford $500 a month to heat the house even tho it was well insulated. YES I get pissed at the way people treat others!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. Kencade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I have a co worker who has one child and she gets $468 a month in food stamps. Not to mention free medical, dental and vision...all on my tax dollars and when she was offered a full time postion with excellent benefits..she said no, I can't give up my govt assistance!!
Have you ever worked for the Federal Government? Well, I currently work for the FEDS.

TRUST ME ON THIS.............If you could see the amount of money FED agencies waste, you'd be happy to have welfare recipients have your money. The money spent of public assistance programs is pennies on the dollar compared to what the FEDS spend and waste money on.
I've worked BRAC closure and current work in the Federal Government. The stuff they blow money on and throw away is unbelievable, BRAND NEW items wrapped and sealed......

Still don't agree with that though, but that's IMO.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:39 PM

So your viewpont is obviously biased.

Same could be said about LL... Maybe I change a few on here!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Same could be said about LL... Maybe I change a few on here!

I dont think any Section 8 renter, especially someone who refers to Katrina, is going to change anyone's opinion.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I dont think any Section 8 renter, especially someone who refers to Katrina, is going to change anyone's opinion.
HUH! Guess you didnt read the whole post!

Old 01-04-2013, 08:14 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The majority of Section 8 voucher holders are seniors and/or disabled.
But you might not get the chance to rent to them. You can't discriminate, and if the only applicants are people with gaggles of kids, then that's who you get. They can and do report if you reject them for no "good" reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting