Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,463 times

Advertisements

in this economy things do happen people losing jobs govt funding goes down roommates walk out on you etcetera. everyone deserve a second chance not unless you have deliberately did something at your last rental. being evicted is not fun we all know that, sometimes its your fault sometimes its not but if you are evicted some places will take your application just to get the fee from it and tell you that you have evictions and other stuff. but there are other places that will take you too. even if you pay your rent from eviction it will remain on credit report for years I believe 7. my advice is look around don't go applying for places if you don't know what they look for In reports. you will be denied be aware of this there are many owners who don't believe in seconds chances and hold grudges for that. some day they will be judged. keep looking keep faith and you will have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,313 times
I have a 2 year old eviction from california, i live in las vegas now, ready to move into my own, been living with my sister law, is it going to be hard to rent in las vegas

Old 01-08-2015, 09:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meka39 View Post
I have a 2 year old eviction from california, i live in las vegas now, ready to move into my own, been living with my sister law, is it going to be hard to rent in las vegas
Maybe not in Vegas but don't expect it easy either. Be sure to ask if the LL accepts applicants with evictions on record BEFORE applying. You'll most likely find some place. Don't expect the royal treatment.
I can tell you that it's a automatic disqualification for lots of LL and apartments.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:02 AM

575 posts, read 1,468,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meka39 View Post
I was taken to court for an eviction (which was dismissed) however it still pops up when landlords do a public record search. Tell all potential landlords up front about it. The good thing is it's 2 years old. How has your rental history been since? Ours was almost 3 years ago now and it's no where near as hard to find a place now since we have 3 years of great rental history post-eviction.

Definitely don't apply anywhere that asks for fees until you KNOW the eviction isn't going to be reason for automatic denial. And trust me, some people will try to smooth talk you into applying anyway even though they know you won't get approved. It's happened to us and we've lost a couple hundred in app fees because of it.

If you have good rental history (maybe ask your current landlord for a letter of recommendation, that's what we did) and you have decent credit - as in no judgements from previous landlords and not massive amounts of debt - you should be fine. You'll also definitely want employment prior to putting in applications.

Basically, that eviction is a huge black mark and you've gotta make yourself look pristine in all other areas to make up for it. Or at least that's been my experience.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:54 PM

14 posts, read 24,662 times
It likely that you will only be able to rent from individual homeowners that do not perform background checks. but, if even if they do, you can come clean and explain the circumstances under which you were evicted. Some may rent to you if you agree to pay X amount of rent and an increased deposit. However, both you and your LL may be restricted by your state LL act. Most LLs would not agree with method if they are smart, because it opens them up for retaliation from the very tenant they are trying to help.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:11 PM

14 posts, read 24,662 times
David, every evicted tenant has a great excuse as to why a LL should rent to them. Some are actually very sad. But the reality is that an eviction tells allot about the applicant. One of the things you probably are not aware of is the court fees, time invested in evicting you, rent lost waiting for the process to complete itself, and possible attorney fees if any. Even though you may have paid off the rent you owed, the LL still lost quite a bit in the process. I learned a long time ago to disqualify anyone with an eviction in his or her record. I also do not rent to anyone that claims to be living with a friend or family relation. If you have no rental history, I do not encourage to you apply. Tenants have gotten really smart about how to dupe landlords, and landlords have had to wise up or lose their homes. I wish you luck, but I too would not rent to you. I did leave you some advice on another post you can follow.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:31 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David32 View Post
I plan to pay the guy off soon so I can rent. I see a lot of properties that say "NO EVICTIONS" does this mean no unpaid evictions or even if it is paid I will be denied? This is my biggest question. I know it will be on my record for 7 years or whatever. The landlord agreed to give me a note saying the payment is satisfied once I pay.

Will a letter from the landlords that I owe (saying that I have paid) change anything at all? I'm mostly asking about apartment complexes with the corporate owners. Please don't tell me to apply around because i'm not rich to dispose application fees like that. If anyone has any actual experience or knowledge can you answer me? I need to know what my expectations should be once I pay him off and have the letter. I've been looking on Craigslist mostly and trying to move into Seattle. Portland is VERY critical about this so yea.
with TWO evictions, it is going to be difficult.

Try a private owner or apartment complex in a not so great area.

Good luck.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,178 times
Some of what these LL is serious bull. It does not go on a criminal record. Plus, you can't rely on "lists" that don't give you all the information. I know in my state LL take tenants to court just because they want them out of their apartment and not necessarily because they were dirty or didn't pay rent. Finally, I read somewhere that you can't get a job because it goes on your credit report that you will be "not honest". I guess it depends on what type of job you have because, in my field background checks are done all the time and I have NOT had any problems renting with an eviction on my credit.

At one point I didn't have a job and lost everything. I have been homeless. It took me a long time to fix things. It happens. I think my job gives me a benefit, I am a professional and have a high income. Plus, the last time I let a LL check my credit was in 1996. There are people that will rent to you, without the Realtors, the Brokers, and the unnecessary fees. Not just private LL's or in bad neighborhoods. Be positive and proactive. Things you can try is trying to take over someone's lease, subletting for a few months, or even look into buying your own home. Someone mentioned anything with a fee to stear clear of. The only time I would ever pay fees is when I buy a home. Lastly, one of the best things a LL told me is that he has rented from all walks of life and one isn't better than the other. ~ These are the people that you want to rent from.

Last edited by Travlingdancer; 01-14-2015 at 08:23 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 8,225 times
After residing at a residence for over 20 years, I lost my job and got evicted for nonpayment of rent. Since then all arrears have been paid. My question is, will the longevity of my residing at one residence for so long have some advantage in my getting another apartment? I'm aware that even though this will remain on my credit for 7 years. I need to know what to do.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:04 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr781961 View Post
After residing at a residence for over 20 years, I lost my job and got evicted for nonpayment of rent. Since then all arrears have been paid. My question is, will the longevity of my residing at one residence for so long have some advantage in my getting another apartment? I'm aware that even though this will remain on my credit for 7 years. I need to know what to do.
Absolutely. There's a lot of nonsense thrown out on this forum about people who've been evicted having no choice but to rent in "undesirable" areas. I'm one of those wierdos who have NO credit and haven't had any for over 20 years, paying cash for everything. I've NEVER had a problem finding nice rentals in nice places (two commercial leases too) through private landlords. The corporate management companies almost always do the background check, many private landlords don't. An eviction is a blot but it doesn't mean you automatically carry a huge black tattoo on your forehead and are doomed forever to live in a shack with no running water and no heat in the middle of gang city and gunfire for the rest of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting