Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 05:30 AM

49 posts, read 290,480 times

Advertisements

I plan to pay the guy off soon so I can rent. I see a lot of properties that say "NO EVICTIONS" does this mean no unpaid evictions or even if it is paid I will be denied? This is my biggest question. I know it will be on my record for 7 years or whatever. The landlord agreed to give me a note saying the payment is satisfied once I pay.

Will a letter from the landlords that I owe (saying that I have paid) change anything at all? I'm mostly asking about apartment complexes with the corporate owners. Please don't tell me to apply around because i'm not rich to dispose application fees like that. If anyone has any actual experience or knowledge can you answer me? I need to know what my expectations should be once I pay him off and have the letter. I've been looking on Craigslist mostly and trying to move into Seattle. Portland is VERY critical about this so yea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 06:29 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
The corporate apartment complexes means none whatsoever. At least where I live. And yes you can call around and ask. They will not require an application fee to answer your question on their policy of unpaid vs paid evictions.

Privately owned, you will have a better chance.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:29 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
No evictions means "no evictions", open or closed, paid or unpaid.

Corporate owners aren't going to rent to you with an eviction; you're going to have to seek out private land(slum)lords who don't give a hoot about credit and prior renting history.

good luck.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David32 View Post
This is my biggest question. I know it will be on my record...
I need to know what my expectations should be...
Eviction is not a single event. It is a legal process requiring court intervention on behalf of the LL.
Despite what you read in places like this... a full on to the end eviction is a very rare thing.

Having had a LL:Tenant relationship devolve to that point says the person both allowed the situation
to develop in the first place, probably by not facing up to a change in circumstance... but then didn't
do anything to come to a better (out of court, negotiated) resolution with their LL.

All that said... most LL's still don't look beyond current earnings.
Try to avoid ones who look deeper or have a really good tale to tell.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:23 AM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
Quote:
If anyone has any actual experience or knowledge can you answer me?
I'm a private landlord, the type that everybody else here is telling you find. An eviction is the kiss of death. Paid or unpaid. It means that at some point, you decided to stop paying what you owe, and had to be removed by physical force from the premises. It means that somebody else had to pay your rent for you, against their wishes, then that person had to go court, possibly hire a lawyer, waste their own time and money just to get rid of you. Even if you clear it, I wouldn't take my chances no matter what your story/excuse was.

Sorry and best of luck.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:30 AM

32,633 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You can not "pay" an eviction. An eviction is a legal procedure where a judge orders you out and a sheriff physically removes you.

You can pay the judgment for back rent and damages you owe. That will help on your credit report. You can sometimes even make arrangements to have the judgment completely removed from your credit report if you negotiate well with your creditor.

There is nothing you can do to remove an eviction from your record. That is a court proceeding and that goes into your permanent record.

You've brought your trouble down on your own head by digging in and refusing to move until the courts threw you out. Actions have consequences.,

Old 09-13-2013, 11:37 AM

32,633 posts, read 47,975,309 times
By the way, there are landlords who specialize in felons and people with evictions. Look in the area of town that is not so nice. Expect to pay high rent for a place that is not well maintained. That might be the best you can do.

If you pay the rent on time and take good care of the place, when you leave, you will have a good landlord reference and that is valuable when you are looking for a new rental.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:44 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You can not "pay" an eviction. An eviction is a legal procedure where a judge orders you out and a sheriff physically removes you.

You can pay the judgment for back rent and damages you owe. That will help on your credit report. You can sometimes even make arrangements to have the judgment completely removed from your credit report if you negotiate well with your creditor.

There is nothing you can do to remove an eviction from your record. That is a court proceeding and that goes into your permanent record.

You've brought your trouble down on your own head by digging in and refusing to move until the courts threw you out. Actions have consequences.,
^^^ This

This is exactly what I was thinking. You can pay what you owe on the judgment, but the eviction is a completely different issue.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:25 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
no evictions means no evictions. an eviction will stay on your record for 10 years.

some places will do second chance rentals so look for those or rent privately where someone might be more lenient (look for places that have been vacant for a while bc they're more likely to accept past credit issues)

Old 09-13-2013, 03:00 PM

723 posts, read 2,192,944 times
Seattle? I hope it ain't Seattle proper. Apartments are being scooped up as fast as they are built, then big money AZ, MSFT, Google increasing their local presence as well. Competition is stiff, vacancies are low and rents are rising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting