Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 01:37 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times

Advertisements

I don't know where people get the "stays on your record for 7 years" or "10 years". Maybe that is true in some states, or on some background checks. In my state, it shows up on the public state repository. That goes back to 1995ish, and old records don't drop off. So it currently shows about 20 years worth. Nothing ever drops off.

Now, after 10 years, we look at the eviction differently, especially if the person has obviously turned their life around since, but the eviction will always show up, for the rest of the person's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,225 times
I need some info on this situation. I posted something last month(?) on this site regarding my eviction after residing in my home for 20 years and would that be to my advantage in getting another apartment ( I think I did say that the arrears had been paid). Recently I came into a large settlement and started looking for an apartment. I knew the eviction would pop up each time I applied for an apartment (and it did) and I received a lot of no's or these landlords wanted too much info for so little space/amenities. I just came across a situation last week where I applied for a studio apartment. I complied with everything the manager requested me to bring (social security card, bank statements, drivers license, etc..) In applying I was honest in telling her about the eviction being on my credit (I also had the letter I received from my prior landlord verifying the arrears had been paid), where while I sat in her office she ran the report and said that it would not affect my getting the studio because it showed that it was paid. I fill out the application after viewing and choosing the studio I liked and after a few minutes of talking to her I leave. 5 minutes afterwards she calls me and mentions my bank statement and the amount in the account I CHOSE to bring with me ( I have 4), which in that account has 3 times the amount I offered to pay in rent one year in advance (which I stated to her). She says to me that I have to bring ALL pages of my bank statements. I told her that I didn't feel comfortable in doing that and since the statement she had showed I was more than capable of paying the rent. She then says "If you want to live in this building then you have to bring all your bank statements". My question is what is the purpose of this if you're intending on paying the rent a YEAR in advance? And yes I work part time and gave her my pay stubs as requested.

Last edited by cr781961; 03-25-2015 at 08:26 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 08:53 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I can't be of much practical help but can only comment that the demand to see ALL the pages of the bank account reeks to me of intrusion. I would pass on the place but, if you're otherwise comfortable, make a copy of the remaining pages of the bank statement and block out all payee names, leaving only dates and amounts visible.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:01 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Granted, my situation was for a mortgage, not a rental, but they insisted on all pages of my bank statements. I thought the front page with beginning balance, deposits, checks paid and ending balance, and then the detail on the deposits would be sufficient. Nope. They wanted all the check/debit card info as well. I still cannot see what business it was of the bank how much i was spending on groceries, gas, etc. Both Mr. Dokie and I have credit scores north of 800 and we've been homeowners for 35 years.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:31 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
I agree its a bit much to ask for a rental, but legally they may not even be allowed to accept one year's rent up front so this point might be moot.

I guess you have decide if this unit is worth it or not...frankly, you can't afford to be so picky.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I agree its a bit much to ask for a rental, but legally they may not even be allowed to accept one year's rent up front so this point might be moot.
I believe the poster is in NJ where this is still the case. Legislation was introduced a few years ago to allow landlords to accept rent in advance but it was withdrawn.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:32 AM

488 posts, read 857,602 times
They are likely just looking for bounced cheques. They want to ensure that despite your current windfall balance, you weren't bouncing to get by up until you received that. Remember, with the eviction, you're already a risk. They're trying to reduce that risk as much as possible.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:59 PM

932 posts, read 899,645 times
I had a eviction, I did NOT have a problem finding a nice play to stay at all. Bigger cities you can find places

Old 11-05-2015, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,751 times
I have 4 unlawful detainers which are now considered "evictions". 2 of them from the 2 places I rented from. I stayed in both for several years and was NEVER REMOVED and my lease was always renewed. I moved from the first place because I no longer worked there which meant I could no longer live there and the second place I willing left when my lease was up due to paying more for rent without any improvements to my unit from the new management company. What I find funny is the response from people who say a person with an "eviction" is a bad tenant. This is a person I would never want to rent from. I was/am a good tenant. My unlawful detainers were received because when rent was due I had over 3 quarters of it but the landlord didn't want to want anywhere from 1 day to 5 days which was my next payday. I was willing to sign a promissory note and pay the late fee with no issues. I am a single mom of 4 doing everything on my own with no county or state assistance with no complaints. When the unlawful detainers showed as just that I was able to rent as they could see they were paid and I had continued to reside there. But when I had received the other 2 they started showing as "evictions" which created problems for me to rent. If a person required a higher security deposit-no problem, but to state a person with an "eviction" is a bad tenant-that lets people know just the type of person you are. I can only hope that one day you or a close family members experiences something like this to improve your mindset from saying anything else HEARTLESS!!!!

Old 11-05-2015, 12:36 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,013 times
Sorry, but tenants who don't pay rent in full when it's due ARE bad tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting