Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 03:47 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times

Advertisements

This thread puts me in mind of another recent one where the tenant says he isn't worried about getting an eviction on his record because he plans on living in an RV at trailer parks, on public land or national parks the rest of his life. He was completely oblivious to our advice against doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 04:21 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
The problem is an "Eviction" is the culmination of an often long and drawn out legal process...

In most states it takes many weeks or months till the Sherriff appears and puts you out.

I have never rented to anyone with an eviction...

Just can't think of one good reason why I would.

A few people have come to me... some years later and complained no one would rent to them... I was unsympathetic.

Apparantly, one private Landlord in my city said he would consider someone I had evicted if she had paid off what she owed me... she called and asked for a dollar amount. I was feeling very generous that day and told her I would settle for 50%... never heard from her again!

Old 09-13-2013, 04:47 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The problem is an "Eviction" is the culmination of an often long and drawn out legal process...

In most states it takes many weeks or months till the Sherriff appears and puts you out.

A few people have come to me... some years later and complained no one would rent to them... I was unsympathetic.

Apparantly, one private Landlord in my city said he would consider someone I had evicted if she had paid off what she owed me... she called and asked for a dollar amount. I was feeling very generous that day and told her I would settle for 50%... never heard from her again!

I guess each state is different, but I know here in Florida (and in my county) evictions do not take months and months. It's usually more like 30-45 days.

I've seen the turn around time first hand with a lady who was living below me. She moved around the first of December and there was an eviction notice on her door about 6 weeks later....she actually moved out at week 5 or so. The manager found out this lady had a guy friend rent the unit in his name because she was rejected for evictions and credit problems. So not only did this lady get named on the eviction, so did you guy friend. He's a good friend.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:26 PM

49 posts, read 290,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

"

Just can't think of one good reason why I would."

Maybe if you take the time and listen to their stories you'd know **** happens sometimes. Not everyone that was evicted is a bad tenant who decided to skip out on the last 6 months. It seems you're just stereotyping everyone.. in this economy but ok. In my cause one of my situations appears as an eviction and isn't even a real eviction..

To clarify, I was never "put out" or came in contact with a sheriff. I moved to Portland, tried to apply, and was told I had "evictions" on my record. This doesn't make sense to me.. because how else would I be renting prior to moving? Since the date of these evictions I've rented plenty of times before with no problem or with a co signer due to low/no credit but never anything for an eviction.

I was equally confused. I owe a landlord but they are considering this an eviction here in Portland when I tried to apply at a complex. I was never forced to leave the property and not only that but the owners were at the property when we left. I have been told many things, like "it may not be entirely an eviction.. but it LOOKS like an eviction" I'm not sure what the heck that means.

I have called a few properties and yes, they tell me to apply. They never fully answer the question it is always "well we consider a number of things.." ultimately just to get the money from the application fee.

I have another thing on my credit but it was paid off. The complex at the time garnished my wages.. so it is paid off completely. The reason why? Because the landloard at the apartment "lost" my 30 day notice letter when I refused to sign the contract with new management. My contract at the time was with previous management, month to month and she didn't like that. This was 7 years ago. When I got to portland they said it is still on my credit.

After some research, I found out that the management has since been replaced. It is their lawyers that refuse to remove it. The property said that they have nothing to do with this anymore, they were paid. It is up to the lawyers to removed it.. even though they were paid. Now I look like I'm someone that skipped out. In total, I do not owe anymore than $1,000 which I could easily pay off asap assuming it would help me get anywhere.

Like I said these problems.. are native the the PNW in my experience. At least where I was from I could get a co signer, pay upfront or something else. They allow none of this here and it's very interesting.

Last edited by David32; 09-13-2013 at 05:40 PM..

Old 09-13-2013, 05:46 PM

49 posts, read 290,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
I'm a private landlord, the type that everybody else here is telling you find. An eviction is the kiss of death. Paid or unpaid. It means that at some point, you decided to stop paying what you owe, and had to be removed by physical force from the premises. It means that somebody else had to pay your rent for you, against their wishes, then that person had to go court, possibly hire a lawyer, waste their own time and money just to get rid of you. Even if you clear it, I wouldn't take my chances no matter what your story/excuse was.

Sorry and best of luck.
Not in my case. Not only did no one else have to pay my rent but they stole from me and got FREE rent. I was robbed and it's interesting how many landlords support this type of thing though. Everyone is brainwashed into thinking the only reason someone is evicted is because they were a terrible unreliable tenant and had to be removed for not paying. Read my story and see how ignorant this mentality is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Seattle? I hope it ain't Seattle proper. Apartments are being scooped up as fast as they are built, then big money AZ, MSFT, Google increasing their local presence as well. Competition is stiff, vacancies are low and rents are rising.
I'm thinking more (lower) Tacoma. As long as I'm an hour or two of radious to Seattle I'm ok.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:52 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Perhaps the definition of "Eviciton" varies.

Here, it is the result of legal action in which the Landlord prevails and it requires a Judge to sign off before it can show up on a credit report... mere filing for evcition does not show up.

You are correct in that having the Sheriff come and forcebly remove is not necessary... although, it happens more than one would think.

My last eviction took 9 weeks because the teneant asked and recieved a postponement. The Sheriff posted and she still did not vacate... I met the Sheriff on eviction day, opened the home and they turned it over to me...

As her belongings were being loaded into a moving van... she shows up and calls 911 saying I was stealing her pocessions... two city police cars arrive and I show them the order of pocession from the country Sheriff and they instruct her she will be arrested for trespassing if she does not leave immediately... she gets all hysterical saying I am stealing from her...

Anyway... I told there the only things I want is for her and her belongings out of my house... her mother drives up and offers to take everything and she lives about 2 miles away... so, that is what I had the movers do...

Some people really don't get it.

I would rather have a unit go vacant than have to put up with the games of a tenant that is dodging me...

Legal, Lawyer and County fees were $1100.

For the record... I've never charged a prospective tenant an applicaiton fee on property I own... State law limits how much can be charged for those that do.

If you have been unjustly classified and the responsible party refuses to correct... sounds like the basis for a lawsuit under the Fair Credit Act...

As for listening to people's stories... I've heard enough of them to write a book over the last 30 years.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:24 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Evictions are tricky. I used to work in property management and a lot of time an eviction can show up as long as eviction paperwork has been filed. A lot of things are different from state to state, but I've seen this a few times. Is there a way to contact your old management company's landlord tenant department to see if they will agree to get the lawyers to change it? Or if there's no landlord tenant department, contact the regional property manager who manages the onsite management teams of a bunch of properties.... Sometimes, they are more responsive.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:02 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
David32. there are several reasons someone can get evicted, but in order for it to show up on public records or your credit report, it has to go thru the courts. Non payment of rent is the number one reason for eviction, lease violation the next reason.

It sounds like you have a judgment (you owe someone money, they sued you and won) not an eviction. I know around here they dont' care if it's an eviction or a judgment (especially to a former landlord), they aren't renting to you. You're too much of a financial risk.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:15 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
I would not rent to a person with an eviction. It is too much of a risk. If you did it once, I do not see why you would not do it again. The best thing to do is to call the apartment complexes that you are interested in.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:24 PM

4 posts, read 25,215 times
As a small-time landlord, I'm not going to risk what little I have. I won't even consider applicants who've had eviction proceedings begun and later dropped.

I believe that you're telling the truth; however, I've heard my share of hard luck stories in my time. I don't have the time or energy to sort through the details to find out what actually happened to you - and that's especially true when there's probably another applicant right behind you without an eviction on their record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting