Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 11:07 AM

122 posts, read 349,264 times

Advertisements

I went through the same thing with my downstairs neighbors. Recently, someone(not me) called the cops on them due to all the noise (loud music) they had. He said I always slam the door really loud. I will admit I only did this once. (The A/C was on in my apt and no windows were open so the door slammed shut). It was an accident. But he made it seem like this is a regular thing for me. (total BS Im rarely at home thanks to my job). He thought it was me who called and was ready to go up and confront me but the cop stopped him (I had my sliding door open so I heard all the commotion).

Anyways, talk to the apartment manager. They usually know how to handle situations like this. You really never know the people you are neighbors with when it comes to apartment living. In other words, you don’t know what they are capable of. You don’t know if they are of “sound mind” they might have a temper. It’s best to avoid it and have management talk to them. You pay rent too and deserve some peace and quiet

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 11:04 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
Thank you again. I am trying to give it a little time before complaining to management. The management here is not very quick to respond. I have not been able to meet the new neighbors face to face yet so have not gotten a feel. I am a young single lady and like I said in general I don't like confrontation. I don't think the community would put something on the doors to make them quieter.
When I look for a rental home I will started at least 2 months possibly longer. I am picky which is not a good thing so it takes me time.
Thank you again

Old 11-08-2013, 03:02 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Thank you again. I am trying to give it a little time before complaining to management. The management here is not very quick to respond. I have not been able to meet the new neighbors face to face yet so have not gotten a feel. I am a young single lady and like I said in general I don't like confrontation. I don't think the community would put something on the doors to make them quieter.
When I look for a rental home I will started at least 2 months possibly longer. I am picky which is not a good thing so it takes me time.
Thank you again

I'm not about leaving notes for neighbors, but in this case you could leave one on their door. Something short, sweet and to the point.

Unless the management is going to modify the door (if that's an option) to stop it from slamming, there really isn't anything they can do. You can't really mandate the way someone closes a door, walks on the stairs, or walks in their own apartment. You'd think those things would be common sense things, but common senses has taken a leave in most places.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
I am a young single lady and like I said in general I don't like confrontation.
Politely addressing an issue isn't being "confrontational" by any stretch. "Confrontational" is applicable if you belligerently approach someone with a combative attitude and the intent of picking a fight. The various approaches which have been suggested are far from that and simply examples of very basic, mature communication.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:10 AM

I am going to complain to the community. They were playing music so loud the vibration was horrible and I could hear the words of the song. I am not going to talk to the people cause then if they don't stop and I call the management they will know it is me. These people are just rude.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:50 AM

122 posts, read 349,264 times
Quote:
I am going to complain to the community. They were playing music so loud the vibration was horrible and I could hear the words of the song. I am not going to talk to the people cause then if they don't stop and I call the management they will know it is me. These people are just rude.
I swear we might just have the same neighbor! I understand, neighbors like this come with the “territory†of apartment living but people should really be considerate. Even though I have a BF, he doesn’t live with me so im pretty much also a single woman living on my own so I understand why you don’t want any confrontation. It’s also scary if you confront them and they know you live alone because like I mentioned before, you really don’t know what kind of people they are.

I also posted an issue I had with my downstairs neighbor who was blasting his music so loud I felt the vibrations and could also hear it loud and clear. Apparently, someone complained by calling the cops and this guy swore up and down it was me who called when it wasn’t. I heard him telling the cop he knew it was me and was ready to come up and confront me but the cop stopped him. After the cop left, the guy started banging on the ceiling all night long (his ceiling my floor). It’s a scary situation

I hope you can get with your LL/management. They should know how to handle tenants like this without bringing you into the conversation. Is there anyone else around you and your neighbor? That way if you do report them, it doesn’t really mean it was you who said anything. It could have been anyone in that area

Old 11-08-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:

if it's happening before 11pm complain to your manager. If it's happening after 11pm, call the police and tell your manager.

They won't know it's you...are you there only neighbor? I doubt it. If you aren't willing to help yourself out a little bit, nothing's going to change.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:17 PM

Thank you for your responses.
There are other neighbors so they would not know it is me I guess who complains. Actually the man next door to them is always looking out his window so they probably would think it is him.
Kim you are right I need to help myself or nothing will change. Thanks for that.
Noelle I am sorry you can relate and for those horrible neighbors. People can be nuts.
I keep odd hours and go way out of my way to be quiet for others. I guess cause I am noise sensitive but also I am considerate and I don't understand why others can't be.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your responses.
There are other neighbors so they would not know it is me I guess who complains. Actually the man next door to them is always looking out his window so they probably would think it is him.
Kim you are right I need to help myself or nothing will change. Thanks for that.
Noelle I am sorry you can relate and for those horrible neighbors. People can be nuts.
I keep odd hours and go way out of my way to be quiet for others. I guess cause I am noise sensitive but also I am considerate and I don't understand why others can't be.

I wasn't being snarky, honest; but complaining to us is going to help you feel better just so much. Don't be afraid to complain to the manager or call the police. You can call the non emergency number and ask them if your city has a noise ordinance and tell them of your situation (with the music, not the door) and ask them what you can do. Our city is very strict and will hand tickets for noise.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:37 PM

Kim I did not take you as snarky. You actually helped me today to call and complain. So the music again this morning where my walls were vibrating and I could hear the words of the song with ear plugs and a fan running. So I called the office and the leasing lady said the manager is out till Mon who handles it and they would send out a letter for the whole building. Then I hung up but the music got louder so I called back and said how I don't feel it is fair I have to wait till Mon though she suggested I call the police even during the day. She said the leasing people don't handle this but I said why should I have to listen to music like this and why cant they just call instead of sending a letter that is going to take more time. So they said they would call the person. She said if they still play music then to call the police and follow up with the manager on Monday. So I have no idea if they called because I had to leave. When there was bags of trash in my carport the management said they would come and pick it up and send a note but a week later it was still there so I have no clue on their follow up of things. The leasing lady was very nice and felt bad
So will see what happens but I hope quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting