Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 12:44 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,824,588 times

Advertisements

I have new downstairs neighbors who keep odd hours. The apartments have private entrances but the front door slams so hard and makes a horrible noise and vibration. They go in and out multiple times in the middle of the night. For example in an hour and half tonight have slammed the door 4 times from 1 am to 2 30 so far. I want to complain because this keeps me up or wakes me if I am sleeping. I understand this is not party noise so do you think the management will be able to do anything? Or should I ask them downstairs if they could close the door quieter in the middle of the night? I don't want them to get mad and then do something out of spite?
I dislike apartment living so much. Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 03:02 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
You could talk to your manager and ask them to post a notice about the door (that probably no one would read) or your could talk to your neighbor and just inform them that the door slams on it's own and wakes people up.

I dont' think this is one of those spiteful situations, they are new to your building and probably don't realize just how loud that door is. Talk to them and just ask them to be mindful when coming and going from the building.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:15 AM

Thank you for your reply. I hate confrontation and fear making someone mad. I am going to try to get a feel for them in passing and introduce myself and see how they respond. Not sure why a person goes in and out so many times in the middle of the night.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Thank you for your reply. I hate confrontation and fear making someone mad. I am going to try to get a feel for them in passing and introduce myself and see how they respond. Not sure why a person goes in and out so many times in the middle of the night.
It would be a better world if everyone felt as you; unfortunately too many could care less. As I once heard, 'renting is like camping out'; and as an apartment dweller, I agree.

One new neighbor who moved downstairs talked on her cell phone in the middle of the night and I could hear every word (wish the conversation hadn't been so boring ). The next day I knocked on her door and welcomed her to the 'neighborhood'; then casually mentioned there is little to no soundproofing in our building and her phone conversation was easily heard. She thanked me for letting her know and it never happened again.

Not saying your new neighbors will respond in kind.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:57 AM

912 posts, read 5,259,053 times
Quote:
I hate confrontation and fear making someone mad.
Don't think of it as a confrontation, just a friendly, neighborly request. Calmly explain that the door slamming keeps you up at night, and ask them to consider being gentle with it.

Quote:
Not sure why a person goes in and out so many times in the middle of the night.
That is none of your business, and inquiring about it will make a friendly request cross the line into a confrontation.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:15 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I'm afraid that you don't really have any possible justification for complaining about a neighbor opening and closing their door.

You can politely ask them to close the door more quietly in the middle of the night. If they were unaware of how noise carries, they might make an effort. Don't get your hopes too high. Slamming doors is a habit and it is hard for people to break habits.

Also, you had better be very friendly and polite when you mention it. Sometimes rude people take offense when they are asked to not be so rude and you might make matters worse.

Unfortunately, apartment buildings are noisy places. People who can't tolerate noise are better off renting a free standing house. If the sound of a door opening and closing bothers you, you are not cut out to be an apartment dweller.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:49 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
It would be a better world if everyone felt as you; unfortunately too many could care less. As I once heard, 'renting is like camping out'; and as an apartment dweller, I agree.

One new neighbor who moved downstairs talked on her cell phone in the middle of the night and I could hear every word (wish the conversation hadn't been so boring ). The next day I knocked on her door and welcomed her to the 'neighborhood'; then casually mentioned there is little to no soundproofing in our building and her phone conversation was easily heard. She thanked me for letting her know and it never happened again.

Not saying your new neighbors will respond in kind.

That's a great way to handle it...just welcome them to the building and casually say " oh, I want to warn you about the front door, it slams really loudly and will wake you from a dead sleep...so if you hear any loud banging it's the front door not being closed, but being allowed to slam".

You aren't accusing them of anything, you're not blaming them...you're looking out their best interest.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:05 PM

Thank you.
Just to clarify I would never ask what the neighbor is doing in the middle of the night. I was just thinking that in my mind.
I agree I need to rent a home. I looked with a realtor but moved from out of state and needed a place. I wanted a specific area that is expensive so settled on an apartment but when this lease is up I am going to look for a home. I am going to start early looking.
Ugh not liking this place in general. It is an upscale area but someone keeps putting there trash in my carport. We have valet trash where you put it out on the sidewalk. Instead someone is putting it out in the carport. I complained a week ago and they did nothing. So I put it out on the sidewalk this week since it has been a week and I am sick of looking at and someone keeps adding to it so there was a can full. I am wondering if it is my new neighbors or a fluke. People are just so rude.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:11 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
You might be able to move sooner than waiting for your lease to end. The manager will either have to resolve your issue or find it easier if you leave. Talk to them early on. I'm not sure of the home rental market in your area, but homes don't stay vacant for long around me. If you look early, that house might not be there when your lease it up. I'd say 2 months is a good time. I think one month and less, you start to get the bottom of the barrel so to speak.

As far as the door slamming , I wonder if they can put those things on that slow down screen doors so they don't slam.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:11 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
Or you could say, "I notice you're up at night - I bet you're a day sleeper. Please tell me if MY daytime noise is disturbing you. I know the doors can be kinda loud at times."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting