Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:01 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,036,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Why wouldn't he cash her check if she's behind in rent? Did she get served or evicted and didn't tell you?
How did he get her animals? Was she in the hospital when he took her pets? Did she leave them unattended?

There's a lot missing to this story.

I wonder if the landlord thought she abandoned the pets and property? I agree with you that there's a lot more to the story and as I said, rarely is the third party interpretation correct.

And being a landlord is a business, not a charity...you want charity? stay at shelter, halfway home or govt housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 05:13 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Why wouldn't he cash her check if she's behind in rent? Did she get served or evicted and didn't tell you?
How did he get her animals? Was she in the hospital when he took her pets? Did she leave them unattended?

There's a lot missing to this story.

If he started legal proceedings to evict and cashed her check he would be in violation and would need to restart eviction procedures again from the beginning. That's why he probably did not accept the payment.
For all we know the LL did the eviction correctly and she simply was legally evicted. I don't know I wasn't there. But if the guy locked her out and then threw her out without a court order and he ends up dragged I court all he can hope for is the judge isn't a pro tenant judge.

But yeah there is a lot of holes in the story. Who took care of the animals while she was gone. If she skipped town for three months i would start procedures too.

I understand people run into issues,lose jobs etc. At that point it's their duty to inform the LL and start making arrangements to move or borrow, get job etc to make rent payment. The LL isn't in the business of free rent. Its a business in which hopefully you make a profit

Old 04-30-2014, 07:57 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,787,955 times
If he didn't legally evict her, she's lucky, because she won't have a record of an eviction through housing court. Once you have that on your record, you will never get anyone to rent to you again, since they know that if you don't pay the rent (and it doesn't matter why not, there's always a reason), that you will sit in the apartment, not paying, until you are evicted, rather than move out on your own because you understand that you have no right to occupy a dwelling for which you are unable to pay. If she goes to housing court over this, EVEN IF SHE WINS, she will never be able to rent again. See other threads in this forum by people who are unable to rent after having WON cases in housing court, no matter the circumstances. No landlord wants to rent to any tenant who has been to housing court for any reason. She will wind up filing applications, paying application fees, and be rejected every single time.

From what little information you've given, it sounds like the landlord started eviction proceedings when she didn't pay the rent, and then would not take partial payment, which would have stopped the eviction proceedings. If she was not around, it's entirely possible that the LL was able to get an order to repossess the property, and that the sheriff's office has stored her property. Animal control may have taken her pets, assuming that she arranged care for them while she was absent. But she should think long and hard before she goes to housing court against him, because if her name pops up on a search for housing court issues, I guarantee you that she will never rent again, at least from places that do a background check.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:34 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,732 times
I also think the OP is only armed with some of the facts of this case. First things format, call the courthouse and see if there was an eviction granted. If there was, ask about the writ of possession (or whatever its called there, giving landlord the property back).

If there was no eviction, file a lawsuit against the landlord and be armed with every possible piece of information you can. Its not enough to just "know" you were wronged, you have to prove it, or at least create enough doubt about the landlord to have a judge or jury side with you.

As mentioned prior, be aware that civil lawsuits will come up in many background searches and will make for a harder time renting in the future. Don't let that be a reason to not fight for your rights as a tenant.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:06 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
You must not have friends in your life. Pity. But if you must know, shelters have been called, microchip companies alerted, police reports filed. I have this pesky thing called COMPASSION and so am not charging her a red cent. If her health issues continue to deteriorate she'll have to move out anyways since I live in a 3rd floor walkup. Thankfully, she has a good network of friends so she won't hopefully ever lack for a place to stay and won't EVER be made to feel like a leech.
The person who goes from couch to couch in their network of friends, is basically the definition of a leech. And they take advantage of compassionate people like you. And me. I also have a history of being a sucker for a hard luck story. I usually realize after the fact that I was supporting someone who had more money than me, or a better car but wanted rides in mine to save on gas, or whatever. At least I drew the line on letting them move in with me a long time ago, but I still seem to end up helping people more than I should somehow.

My neighbor across the hall dropped off a dahlia bulb with a note asking me to plant it in her garden spot on our community patio garden yesterday. I thought, what the heck? She is disabled, but she has a completely capable husband. So, what do I do? I plant the damn bulb for her! But, she sure ain't movin' in with me! LOL!

Posters here may seem heartless, but in my case I just see myself in your situation.

I bet you've had hard times, maybe even been sick, etc., but your rent always gets paid on time.

I've had friends from two income homes asking me for a loan when I was a student living on student loans. I'm careful and budget. I've always drawn the line at loaning money to friends - well, let's say I learned not to do it anymore at a young age, rather. What I did with that friend was offer to help her create a budget, and that they may want to get rid of one of the car payments. She glazed over when she realized I wasn't going to part with my student loan money.

But, there are just so many red flags here. The fact that she is on your couch and you don't know the whole story just screams leech to me. She's got you fighting her battles. Taking care of her. And she's letting you.

I sincerely hope she doesn't take advantage of you. But, I don't have much hope. You may want to set a timer on how long she can stay before she moves on to the next compassionate friend in her network. It's probably going to be up to you to set your boundaries.

Like my dahlia lady. See, I'd never just drop off a bulb with a note asking my neighbor to go plant it for me. Not in a million years. But, there are people, obviously, who would. People like you and me need to say no. I chose not to put the damn bulb back on her door, and just go plant it as it would just take a minute and I was going to the garden spot anyway. But, I'm still amazed at how people will expect things from others, I'd never dream of asking someone to do.

OTOH, people like you and me would have asked for help before we got evicted, too, if we couldn't work it out by ourselves. We wouldn't have ended up being thrown out of an apartment, not knowing where our pets are, etc., etc.

Anyway, you may get lucky if she hates walking up three flights to your free couch. She may start looking at the friends with elevators .

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 05-01-2014 at 12:23 AM..

Old 10-07-2015, 03:30 PM

9 posts, read 8,224 times
She should have just called the police everything that the landlord is doing is illegal

Old 10-07-2015, 03:40 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
This thread is Over a year old. Problem most likely been solved.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:42 PM

581 posts, read 665,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
It's also ILLEGAL to live somewhere and not pay rent.
She didn't refuse to PAY THE RENT, she FELL BEHIND IN THE RENT. Reread the OP's opening post please.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:08 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,732 times
Does it really make any difference since the rent was not paid? Refusing to pay and not being able to pay have the same end result; rent is not paid.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:27 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,957,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
This thread is Over a year old. Problem most likely been solved.
LOL - she's probably still on the OP's couch.

Shouldn't there be a law where landlords can't evict you for non-payment for like six months if you can't afford it? Most landlords are really rich, so it would just be like a tax on the wealthy. Rent should be like bankruptcy, you should be able to just file some papers and then you don't have to pay, you just wipe the slate clean and start fresh.

Also why should landlords be allowed to discriminate against you if you don't work? Where my money comes from is no concerns of theirs so long as they get paid. Credit checks are unfair. Not everyone has great credit and so many places won't rent if your credit isn't good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting