Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 04:43 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

It is mind boggling how people don't see red flags....what happened to common sense.

If someone would tell me not to open a fridge due to the smell I would wonder are there roaches in there or perhaps a body....

Common sense is not too common anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 02:49 PM

66 posts, read 214,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czyxx71 View Post
My Wife, 2 year old Son and I have been living in our "new" rental house for a month, now.
It had obviously been quite some time since the grass had been cut, as it was about 3 feet tall, and the last tenant left the refrigerator in very disgusting condition, because the agent that showed us the house warned us not to open it, until the owner had gotten it cleaned.
Then, we were offered a $200 discount of our deposit, in exchange for the landlord not cutting the grass or cleaning the refrigerator, before we moved in.
I felt that the work was worth more than $200, but my Wife had already agreed, so that was that.
At the lease signing, the property manager, again, warned us not to open the refrigerator until we were ready to clean it out, because the smell was so bed.
We moved in, took the refrigerator out on the back deck and found out that, other than being disgusting, the "rails" to every single shelf in the refrigerator and freezer doors were either broken or missing. Meaning that it was impossible to store anything in the doors.
I immediately emailed the property manager about the rails. She responded that they could see about getting replacements, so I researched and found the least expensive parts and sent her diagrams, part numbers and websites for ordering the parts.
My Wife scrubbed the refrigerator til it looked brand new, let it air out on the back deck for 2 days, then we brought it back in.
We threw in 3 boxes of Arm & Hammer, plugged it in, adjusted the temperature settings and went to bed.
The next morning.....nothing!
It did not get cool, overnight.
The light comes on, you can hear the "motor" running, but even after 2 days, it will not get cold.

Long story, short...the property manager is now saying that while the lease states that a refrigerator IS included, it also states that there is NO warranty offered AND it is our responsibility to repair any appliances that break while we live here.
So, basically, they won't fix it and it sounds like they want US to pay to fix it.
However, in the "Pre Move In Inspection" form, that we were given at the lease signing and told to return in 3 days, we noted that the refrigerator was "very dirty/moldy, has several broken or missing pieces and is unusable".

Also, we filled out a "punch list" of repairs the house needed and returned it within that same 3 day period. The owner's "handy man" came the next week and started, said he'd be back later that week and never showed up. He finally came back the following week, did some work, said he'd be back in 2 days to finish. Again, he never showed. Now, it's been another week, with no handy man, repairs that either need to be done (or redone) and no answers from the property manager.

On a side note...we were told the best way to reach the property manager was through email. She almost NEVER responds and when she does, it takes a week, and most of the time she doesn't answer any of our questions. She just talks in circles. We've tried calling, both the business number and the "emergency" number. She never answers either.

What are our options?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe you can look into getting a used refrigerator in the meantime from somewhere and get someone to cut the grass. But Stay on the landlord. I send certified mail to document the issues and if they don't respond to that. I keep calling until they do. They usually get tired and send somebody out.

Sometimes you get landlords like that who don't like to be bothered especially when it comes to repairs...etc... They just want to collect rent and not hear from the tenant. I am guessing this so called "handy man" is probably somebody the landlord hired on the cheap too. Where I live we have like 2 guys for our entire complex so it takes them forever if you need to get anything done but they are ok and they do eventually get around to fixing things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting