Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 06:43 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
your right but I miss worded it I wanted to say find a better person because there will always be someone better down the road. Yes I have a few more then 3 I know the law.
Other than again proposing the OP violate the law again (yes, courts have ruled that in these scenarios sitting on an otherwise qualified tenant while you wait for someone you won't discriminate against is no better than an outright denial) you seem to have a really good grasp on thing. /sarcasm

Seriously, you're not half as clever as you think you are, and this is really pretty simple. Most rentals have written criteria for approval. If you deny for anything related to a background/credit check you have to disclose such. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out if something fishy is going on.

Luckily, the OP possesses the ethics you lack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I have my own trusted pool guy. I bet I can add a requirement to the lease that they retain MY pool guy. But anyway, unless the cost is prohibitive -- I doubt it -- I'll just fence the patio -- permanently.
That wouldn't work. You can require them to care for the pool, or you can contract with your pool guy. You can't force them to use a certain professional as that would impair the tenants ability to price shop.

If you trust your guy, you'd be better off covering it and trying to recoup the cost in the rental price.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:57 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
In addition to fencing the pool area, why don't you get one of those heavy duty covers. You've probably seen the commercials where the elephant stands on the pool cover. The holders for the cover are drilled right into the concrete so the cover is stable.
Local codes in that area prohibits anything but a motorized cover that seals the entire perimeter and it must be operated by a single key switch located at least 54" above the ground surface. Those fasten-to-the-deck types are not allowed anymore (if installed years ago they are grandfathered) so only the motorized full perimeter seal track types are allowed.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:02 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Quote:
I'll just fence in the patio, get good pictures. Then when my photographer leaves they can store the fence in the garage and if their kid drowns it's not my liability.
Unless you install a permanent physical fence that complies with AZ state law, those removable fence type will satisfy Mesa's pool barrier requirements but will not relive you of liability under ARS. Only the permanently installed fences, inspected by the AHJ after installation, will relive you of some liability in AZ.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:39 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Other than again proposing the OP violate the law again (yes, courts have ruled that in these scenarios sitting on an otherwise qualified tenant while you wait for someone you won't discriminate against is no better than an outright denial) you seem to have a really good grasp on thing. /sarcasm

Seriously, you're not half as clever as you think you are, and this is really pretty simple. Most rentals have written criteria for approval. If you deny for anything related to a background/credit check you have to disclose such. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out if something fishy is going on.

You just have a problem with me because I do not discriminate against my tenants like you would, sorry your a dead beat piece of crap for not paying your rent disabled or not. I do not give special treatment to any person because they are not disabled or any other resin. I do not care, if you do not pay you will be out, I do not care if you and the kids are on the street for X-Mass living in a box disabled or not. Its a business you pay you stay, no pay no stay.

You believe what you want about me I have been a full time landlord for about 30 years and keep about 75 SFH in innovatory so I must be doing something right. I have been to court for different things and I have never lost and it has never been close. When I have a house for rent I get 20 - 30 apps it is not hard to to find one that fits what I want without discriminating against anyone. If you deny tenant application based on the person's credit report, then you are required by law to send an adverse action letter to inform the person that his or her application was rejected. For other reasons, you're not required to given the applicants a written notice but you must be careful not to discriminate The law does not indicate how much detail the landlord must give you.

Some things you can say no are.

1. Unsatisfactory references from landlords, employers and/or personal references
2. Evictions
3. Frequent moves
4. Bad credit report
5. Too short a time on the job
6. Too new to the area.
7. Smokers.
8. No verifiable source of income.
9. Too many vehicles
10. Too many people for the property.
11. Drug users.
12. Pets.
13. Any evidence of illegal activity
14. History of late rental payments.
15. Insufficient income
16. Too many debts
17. Conviction of a crime which was a threat to property in the past five years
18. Conviction for the manufacture or distribution of a controlled substance in the past five years.
19. Tenant Lied on application (the best one)

Last edited by tworent; 07-06-2014 at 09:54 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 04:24 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
What's this temporary fence you refer to? Would it meet the municipality's requirement for safety?
There are usually specifics that must be met.
New landlords learn a lot over time. Buying a house to rent that isn't up to code may be one of them if there is a safety hazard.
Keep in mind, it isn't just the potential 7 year old but potential guests of all ages as well as the fact that landlords are assumed to inspect occasionally and may not be excused from knowing a fence was removed if a tragic incident happened.
Especially if a pool maintenance company is hired!

Old 07-07-2014, 04:37 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Before we get started with that...
Yeah. Lets start by not calling you a landlord.
You're a property owner who can't or won't sell.

Quote:
can I just refuse to rent to people with small children?
Can I refuse to rent to families with small children?
What do you think?
I think you need to find a buyer.

Sell now. Get what you can. Take any loss that you must.
Move on with your life unencumbered.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:53 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yeah. Lets start by not calling you a landlord.
You're a property owner who can't or won't sell.

I think you need to find a buyer.

Sell now. Get what you can. Take any loss that you must.
Move on with your life unencumbered.

Where do you get your ideas?
It's my understanding that he is the latest self proclaimed guru for buying rental properties and becoming a landlord..

Old 07-07-2014, 09:18 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

Thank you. For the record, I am NOT "sitting on an otherwise qualified tenant while you wait for someone you won't discriminate."

I am investigating how I can satisfy Arizona, Maricopa County and City of Mesa pool safety regulations as related to children, including seeking the advice of an attorney, investigating alternatives as to how such regulations may be satisfied, investigating my insurance coverage and possible policy increased coverage, seeking referrals to pool fence contractors, and trying to find out if there are pool safety inspectors qualified to inspect properties in Mesa and render an authoritative report stating that my property and its pool meets child safety laws as mentioned above.

All that stuff takes time. It is not my fault this issue has been thrust upon me. I am reacting the only way possible, and that is to cover my ass. It is not my intent to not rent to this applicant, nor is it my intent to delay things. However, if another qualified renter without issues applies for the property then I see no reason I cannot rent to the second applicant.

The ethics I have is that I must follow the law. However in my own personal interest I am also protecting myself from exposure to risk of liability. I am a beginner landlord and I will take no action until I am satisfied that I have followed all laws and regulations, and that I have taken proper steps to protect myself against potential liability problems.

And finally, I am truly concerned about the safety and well being of my tenants and their children. I could never forgive myself if harm came to a child because I somehow did things wrong and contributed to or enabled the harm.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Local codes in that area prohibits anything but a motorized cover that seals the entire perimeter and it must be operated by a single key switch located at least 54" above the ground surface. Those fasten-to-the-deck types are not allowed anymore (if installed years ago they are grandfathered) so only the motorized full perimeter seal track types are allowed.
Yes, your understanding of the requirement is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting