Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:59 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdaytoday View Post
There are guys like this telling me that they were able to live making about what I will make, but at the same time you have some others being surprisingly rude and telling me what a stupid idea this is. I am pretty confused at the moment. Don't know why so many of these people are being rude. And please don't say "That's reality for you son". Because you and I both damn well know that there are many single individuals out there that could and DO survive on $1000-$1500/month. Many just not up to your luxurious idea of living.
Those people do it out of necessity, many on some form of assistance or two, and are probably stressed out most days.
People survive being homeless for decades, doesn't mean you should do it.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 08:52 AM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Default Suggestion...

You might need your parents to co sign on a lease which would put them in a precarious situation for their own credit if you lost your job.

I might suggest renting a room or a guest house on someone's property on a month to month basis just to get your feet wet. This will give you the experience of independence, and also test the waters of financial viability. It's tough to work full time and go to college full time, but it can be done. It will leave you very little time for socialization because you'll need your rest to stay healthy. Be careful and for goodness sake don't have a "whoopsie" and become a parent! Then all bets are off. Hey it happens!

Anyway, that's my 2 cents and kudos to you for having the ambition to grow up!

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/roo/

Have your parents go with you to check out the living arrangements for safety sake.

Last edited by Podo944; 07-21-2014 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 07-21-2014, 11:32 AM

712 posts, read 1,093,275 times
Quote:
If I'm 18 and legally an adult why would I need them to co-sign?
As a few others have said, many apartment managers will not rent to someone without a credit or rental history. Many will pull your credit and if they see you don't have a credit history or your credit history is poor, they will require that you have a co-signer in order to protect their own interests for providing an apartment to a risky borrower.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:44 PM

378 posts, read 1,207,110 times
Find a roommate. My first apartment was very expensive due to having to buy EVERYTHING. Cleaning supplies, dishes, cooking utensils, furniture (basic used stuff). That plus deposits for the apartment and utilities runs a couple thousand. You can do it, but bare minimum for living by yourself in this area would be about $1400 to $1500 per month.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:04 PM

18 posts, read 52,578 times
Thank you all for the kinder responses this past day. I know it can be done, because I work with a guy who who works 30-35 hours everyday as a delivery driver and he just rented his own apartment. On his own, just a young college guy. I am saving $200 a month currently. Say by this yime next year I begin moving into an apartment. That's $2400 just saved up.

Also I have pretty loving parents, Who I know would be willing to help me out to some extent should I need it because they have helped my brothers out when they moved out. They would probably continue to pay for some of my things like for my car, and cell phone for half a year or so so that I could get on my feet.

Also I will be going to BRCC (hopefully transferring to LSU eventually). So while I understand it is realy schooling, BRCC will not be as vigorous as LSU, so I feel like balancing school and work won't be exceedingly difficult.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:44 AM

6 posts, read 8,895 times
Quote:
There are guys like this telling me that they were able to live making about what I will make, but at the same time you have some others being surprisingly rude and telling me what a stupid idea this is. I am pretty confused at the moment. Don't know why so many of these people are being rude. And please don't say "That's reality for you son". Because you and I both damn well know that there are many single individuals out there that could and DO survive on $1000-$1500/month. Many just not up to your luxurious idea of living.

No one is being rude, they are being honest. There is a difference, I promise. That said, there is a large difference between bringing in 1200 and bringing in 1700 a month. 500 may not seem like much overall...but it is what will let you live in an area that won't get you shot and stolen from regularly.

People that live the way you are saying they do, do it out of necessity...not because they want to be broke as hell and poor across the life spectrum. They have gov. assistance as well, something that should be a necessity, not a desire or notch on the belt. Take your time, as life is most definitely not a race to see who can get oldest fastest or who can check all the boxes first. 18 year olds should be out with friends wreaking havoc on the neighborhood...not barely supporting themselves and eating ramen every night.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:49 AM

6 posts, read 8,895 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the kinder responses this past day. I know it can be done, because I work with a guy who who works 30-35 hours everyday as a delivery driver and he just rented his own apartment. On his own, just a young college guy. I am saving $200 a month currently. Say by this yime next year I begin moving into an apartment. That's $2400 just saved up.

Also I have pretty loving parents, Who I know would be willing to help me out to some extent should I need it because they have helped my brothers out when they moved out. They would probably continue to pay for some of my things like for my car, and cell phone for half a year or so so that I could get on my feet.

Also I will be going to BRCC (hopefully transferring to LSU eventually). So while I understand it is realy schooling, BRCC will not be as vigorous as LSU, so I feel like balancing school and work won't be exceedingly difficult.

Just realize most places are going to want a first/last deposit. That doesn't actually cover your first month, but it does cover your last. So, up front consider that you will have to come up with probably right at 2000 dollars in deposits for a place ~700 dollars a month. While I don't condone it, it seems like you are fairly intelligent so you probably can do it. Just treat your job as a lifeline from here out, not as a basic job or stepping stone. Once you have bills...that job is everything to you.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:06 PM

18 posts, read 52,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppeddown View Post
Just realize most places are going to want a first/last deposit. That doesn't actually cover your first month, but it does cover your last. So, up front consider that you will have to come up with probably right at 2000 dollars in deposits for a place ~700 dollars a month. While I don't condone it, it seems like you are fairly intelligent so you probably can do it. Just treat your job as a lifeline from here out, not as a basic job or stepping stone. Once you have bills...that job is everything to you.
Well thanks, I really appreciate that. I'm planning to save $200 a month for the next 10 months or so so that by the time I graduate I should have at least $2000 saved up. I figure that would be a good starting point. Along with Graduation money and things like that I could probably have closer to $2500 which would be even better.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:23 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
Quote:
Thanks for those of you who answered, hopefully some more will come to answer. I do not think it is an unrealistic goal by any means though. Say decide that I will move out in March. If I continue to save $200 each month until then, then that's over $1,500. I have seen some apartments listed on craigslist in BR in the $450-500 range. Yea they may be on the smaller side and they may not have all the newest amenities, but I don't really want much in the first place.
If you live at home now and have no bills, why are you only able to save $200 per month? When you move out your standard of living is not going to drop $800 per month to free up the rest of that $1000. Is that $1000 per month take home or gross pay, btw? Remember FICA and Medicare will take the first big bite of your paycheck before you get to spend anything on rent, food, gas, water, etc.

Don't forget that after your spend $500 on rent, you have to pay for the electric, water, phone and sewer/garbage fees before you can buy food or gas for the car. Assuming you dont have a car payment is critical, but you will still have insurance payments. Can you really find all of your utilities, food, gas, car insurance, and clothing on $500 per month? I think it will be a LOT tougher than you think.

It can always be done if you are willing to exist at a certain standard of living/safety. If you don't mind having two changes of clothing for a few years and eating nothing but beans and rice for months on end at both meals each day, I suspect having to walk everywhere instead of filling the car and paying the insurance, scrounging for furniture and household items at yardsales/dumpsters. Homeless people live on less, but it isnt pretty or comfortable. Your comfort expectations may be lower than ours and that is certainly your call, but be aware of the reality that everything costs more than you expect and will only cost more each year.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:53 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,355,436 times
So we're rude because we didn't encourage you and pointed out reality instead . I can live with that . Knock yourself out buddy . I'm done here .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
View detailed profiles of: