Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 10:09 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,378,674 times

Advertisements

I can't speak about the logic of the issue but my personal experience as a landlord of one single family home was that the only tenant I had trouble with was the one without a dog. I think that all my other tenants knew that most rentals do not allow pets and so they wanted to be sure to stay where they could have one.

I do think that LL's need to reconsider the pet issue since there is a growing tend for young women to choose dogs over having a kid.

More young women choosing dogs over motherhood | New York Post

Highlights of the article say that the birth rate for young women has dropped 9% while the number of people with small dogs has grown from 34.1 million to 40.8 million between 2008 and 2012.

When I decided to move after retiring I had to buy a house right away even though I would rather have rented for a while and taken my time to choose my new home. I had 4 big dogs and a cat. I knew no one would rent to me with that crowd. I got lucky and the place I bought turned out to be one that I love, but since I only had 5 days to find a place in a rural area it was incredibly lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 01:25 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
....... I'll appreciate if somebody can update this topic by enumerating a list of dangerous breeds........

Your insurance company might have their own list. This is my list:

3P- Dogs will be rejected if they are fully or partially of the following breeds, or appear to be of the following breeds: (SAE)
Pit-Bull, Staffordshire terrier, Doberman Pincher, Rottweiller, Akita, Chow-Chow, Tosa Inu, Presa Canario, Dogo Argentino, Ban Dog, any of the Russian Shepherds, Kerry Blue Terriers.

I have 17 paragraphs in my criteria just in the pet section. (SAE) in the criteria means "Service Animals exempt).

Next time I am working on it, I am going to add American Bulldog, because I have had trouble with all three American Bulldogs presented for consideration. My criteria also says I reject any dog of any breed that appears to have temperament issues, and service animals are not exempt from that one.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:27 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

3P- Dogs will be rejected if they are fully or partially of the following breeds, or appear to be of the following breeds: (SAE)
Pit-Bull, Staffordshire terrier, Doberman Pincher, Rottweiller, Akita, Chow-Chow, Tosa Inu, Presa Canario, Dogo Argentino, Ban Dog, any of the Russian Shepherds, Kerry Blue Terriers.

Next time I am working on it, I am going to add American Bulldog, because I have had trouble with all three American Bulldogs presented for consideration. My criteria also says I reject any dog of any breed that appears to have temperament issues, and service animals are not exempt from that one.
Hey, really, thanks for the list! I immediately cut 'n pasted that in my folder for my pet related issues.

Yes I did ask my insurance agent and she said she had no list.

Just one thing, I'm dubious that you can reject a service animal for any reason. I'll leave that one for the experts to comment on.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:50 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:

Just one thing, I'm dubious that you can reject a service animal for any reason.
Yes you can. See question #1:

Frequently Asked Questions - Housing | Service Dog Central

Old 08-06-2014, 05:19 PM

453 posts, read 1,536,255 times
State Farm doesn't have breed restrictions.

We have pets. We have renter's insurance, including liability insurance of 100k.

My dog is 40# well behaved, quiet, and lazy. She doesn't dig in the yard or cause any damage to walls/floors etc. My neighbors have a neurotic 10lb dog that barks all day long and pees everywhere in the house. She has also dug craters in their yard.

IMO blanket policies are rarely effective and you should always require liability insurance and meet the dog before renting.

As for rejecting a service animal based on size or breed, you can interpret what HUD says here. http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/docu...heo2013-01.pdf
this is a good explanation as well Service Animal FAQs: Housing - Pet Partners
This is a great write up of

Old 08-08-2014, 11:44 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,375,111 times
Quote:

But no Mastiffs!
They might not be all that bad. They do not require large amounts of exercise, and are often content to lie about for hours.

On the other hand, the two 25 lb. Shetland Sheepdogs my neighbor has might not be your cup of tea.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:41 AM

13,928 posts, read 39,306,840 times
The limit of how many may have to do with the local Laws. My LL limits 2 pets. But we also have a City Laws that limits residences to 2 dogs.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:40 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
It may be the Hoa or condo association who has set the limits but otherwise some home owners don't like dogs in their property and we try to tell them that many people have dogs or cats and it will be more difficult to rent without allowing pets and we often come to an agreement that the owner will allow a small pet. Overall we have good experiences with dog owners and smaller to medium size pets. When it comes to large pets it often have been lies about the breed that caused us to eliminate certain breeds and also the liability of a bite by such a big dog is higher than with a small dog.

In the end if people don't like the no pets or small pets than find a different rental or buy so you set your own rules or no rules. After all the renter is not the owner and has to live with that part and not being able to decide what is allowed and what isnt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
This is just something I was curious about. Why do many landlords require that dogs be under a certain weight? A small dog is potentially just as destructive as any larger dog, and possibly moreso - a shih tzu, for example, can grab onto tiny carpet corners or whatnot far more easily than a great dane could. Plus small dogs are almost invariably louder and yappier than big dogs. Sure, bark for bark a big dog makes a louder noise, but it's a rare big dog that barks more than a few seconds at a time, as opposed to tiny dogs who are constantly "BARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARK!!!!!!"

So landlords, if you have such a policy, would you care to explain your reasoning? I'm not disputing your right to limit such things - it's your building, you can do as you please with it. I'm just trying to understand why you would allow small dogs but not large dogs.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:48 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I have 17 paragraphs in my criteria just in the pet section. (SAE) in the criteria means "Service Animals exempt).

You have 17 paragraphs just in the pet section of a lease?

Old 08-10-2014, 11:43 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
You have 17 paragraphs just in the pet section of a lease?
Not in the lease, in my written criteria. The criteria is 7 pages long, and 2 1/2 pages of that is just about pets. Training, manners, breed, temperament, cleanliness, method of keeping, veterinary, spay neuter, vaccinations, breeding, age, livestock, reptiles, fish, cats, yadda, yadda, yadda.....

There is a full page pet agreement, in small print, for the lease. Only pre-approved pets with written permission. There is also a 2 page application for reasonable accommodation of a service animal, if that happens to apply.

Allowing a pet into a rental is a big deal. If a landlord makes a mistake, it can be an expensive mistake. I personally know of one rental where there was $15,000 in pet damage. Landlords are trying to keep that sort of tenant out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting