Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 10:41 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Or....is the best way to get rid of someone is to give them a good recommendation?
It works the same way with jobs, but the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 05:42 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,747 times
Last months rent came on the 6th and this months rent has not arrived but instead as letter came by email claiming her attorney said to withhold rent. The reasons? The shower and tub needs some caulking and the front steps need paint. Oh and the ice-make line was leaking so I turned the valve off (two days ago) and she is now hugely inconvenienced. Also, she still wants some independent engineer to evaluate the heating system to determine its safety. The same system that was serviced by the licensed gas fitters in December and reinspected by the town inspector in November. And again, she made a third demand for 'settlement' because the boiler was not tuned up before she moved in and I replaced the smoke detectors with new ones after she moved in - as if somehow I owe for for something for my alleged negligence. She can sue me. Meanwhile, I am waiting to hear from my lawyer since none of the 'reasons' for withholding rent are life-safety issues nor are there any citations against the property from any inspectional office. Only three weeks ago she wanted out of the lease and I sent her the necessary paperwork. And on it goes!

Old 04-03-2015, 06:49 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
File your papers on the 7th for non-payment of rent. She's already told you she has no real intentions of paying, so don't expect the check. She can explain her issues to a magistrate in court. If you do go to court, make sure you have EVERYTHING documented. This one will most likely lie her butt off in court. Be prepared for that.

She's after a free ride now if she's talking about a settlement. Perhaps she'll settle for being evicted.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:24 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
I've had a couple tenants like this. As others have said, the best thing to do is just get them to go on their way as fast as possible. Personally, I hope every month that they don't pay rent, so I have a reason to evict easily.

The worst thing is, though, even if you evict them, or they owe you money upon moving and you send them a demand for payment, they STILL somehow think that you are the best of friends and they are parting on good terms. I've had 2 former tenants call me up this month who left on bad terms and tell me that they are good friends with the boss and they would like to come back and rent again from us. Neither were evicted in court, but both were asked to move and left owing us money.

Both of them seemed genuinely shocked when I told them that while they were welcome to turn in an application, they would have to qualify like anyone else, and as their prior landlord, they were not going to get a good landlord review from us, so it was really unlikely they would be approved. In one of the cases, the tenant STILL owes us money. When I reminded her of that, she insisted that "[My boss's name] is ok with it, it is only $500 and I'm going to pay it" (note: my boss is definitely not ok with it, and the $500 was after her entire security deposit got applied to damages, plus the letter stated that it wasn't even a complete list of damages, but since we knew she was never going to be able to pay it, we didn't bother including the rest).

Both of the former tenants insisted that I was wrong and that they left on really good terms. Like they thought I wasn't working here when they rented from us, and didn't know the entire story. For goodness sake, MY SIGNATURE is the one on the demand for payment letter that goes out. I'm the daughter of the owners, and I've worked here for 15 years. I'm definitely in the loop. People can be quite dumb.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:52 AM

268 posts, read 357,693 times
Are you responding to this letter, or is your attorney handling it?
If you HAVE to respond, i would send certified and tell her that rent is still due

Paint on stairs, is normal use (wear/tear).
Heating has passed city inspection and your obligation ends there.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:13 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Holy smokes - it never ends with this tenant.

You mentioned you sent her documents that releases her from the lease. I guess she never returned signed documents that changed the lease end date?

Is Aug 30, 2015 the official lease end date as of now?

Now that spring is here, hopefully the tenant decides to find another rental and move out. You'd think she'd want to solve the situation for herself if she is so unhappy. Of course, she'll just find fault with the next rental anyway. I suppose she has been doing this for a long time.

This post gives some insight into mental illness.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
The OP has an attorney so hopefully he's on top of all this.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:31 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

Now that spring is here, hopefully the tenant decides to find another rental and move out. You'd think she'd want to solve the situation for herself if she is so unhappy. Of course, she'll just find fault with the next rental anyway. I suppose she has been doing this for a long time.

This post gives some insight into mental illness.
She probably won't. We have a tenant who pays rent every month early, takes good care of the property, etc, and on the surface sounds like a great tenant. Except every month when she comes in to pay, she whines about everything for 30 minutes or more. Crazy stuff, like the OP is talking about. We just ignore her crazy, and things go along just fine. She's lived there for quite a few years now (the crazy is getting worse over time), and at least 10 or 12 times has said how she is so unhappy there, so she is going to move. Every time, we ask "so are you giving your 30 day notice?" and she always backs right off, and says no.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:21 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,747 times
I thought about that scenario. Her lease does end. She just keeps asking for money, every month. She's a scammer, a third-rate con artist. My attorney is the attorney for a major metro housing authority, trust me...she's don't know what's comin'.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:09 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
I thought about that scenario. Her lease does end.
When is the official lease end date?

I suppose your attorney writes/sends the official 30 (or 60) days notice for her to move out by the lease end date, per whatever number of days advance notice is required in your state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting