Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 09:31 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times

Advertisements

Wow the update is so much worse than I ever imagined it could be. Hang in there and please keep us updated when you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 06:03 PM

366 posts, read 494,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
She's a mental case and there isn't anything you can do about psychotic people, except to hope you don't get stuck renting to them.

She's a good example of why I only rent month to month. If she were my tenant, I'd give her notice to move out. You can offer to let her out of her lease because she is not happy. If she refuses, you are stuck until the end of the lease.

Because she is a nut case, I suggest that you inspect frequently. It's not impossible for her to dig out wiring or do other structural damage because in her statically little brain, she thinks she is preventing fires.

By the way, you can not evict for mental health issues because that is a protected class under Americans with disabilities. But if she starts damaging the building, file for eviction and get her out as quickly as possible.
She doesn't sound "psychotic" to me. Sounds more like she may have OCD and can't feel safe. I don't think you are allowed to evict someone based on a mental disability.

And you sound like a very ignorant person with terms like, "mental case", "psychotic", "nut case", "statically little brain" (???). How about you understand that she is a human being and suffering an illness she didn't ask for?

Old 06-02-2015, 04:45 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSonner View Post
She doesn't sound "psychotic" to me. Sounds more like she may have OCD and can't feel safe. I don't think you are allowed to evict someone based on a mental disability.

And you sound like a very ignorant person with terms like, "mental case", "psychotic", "nut case", "statically little brain" (???). How about you understand that she is a human being and suffering an illness she didn't ask for?

When renting month to month all the landlord has to do (as well as the tenant) is to give a 30 day notice to vacate..it's not an eviction. It's a move out notice..and it's perfectly legal.

Many landlords prefer to rent month to month because it's easier to 'get rid' of problem tenants and this was one huge problem tenant.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:19 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
I owned and rehabbed a single family home for 18 years then rented it out. Two months into the lease, the tenant is sending me emails saying things like she's afraid the house will burn down and wants me to repair any wiring that might start a fire - except all the wiring was replaced in 1997 and new addition in 2010 has all new wiring. The house meets all codes for smoke and CO detection with a detector in each bedroom and common areas. I am replacing the SuperStor water heater under warranty (has a tiny, pinhole leak at the inlet, we have submitted the warranty claim) and she is again emailing me with dire predictions about not having any hot water at any minute. At the moment, she has plenty of hot water and is in no danger of any kind. I recently replaced the old gas line (using a licensed gas fitter under permit) to the stove and she wants to know if it is really repaired - so she calls the gas company to re-check it - after I already took care of it. I know there are joys of being a landlord but being a psychologist in not my forte. Any ideas how to get my tenant to calm down and stop imagining issues that don't exist? I essentially built the house and would have not lived there if I put myself in any danger and things were and are maintained to a "T"!
Stop answering her emails or respond the exact same response, "That is up to code and sufficient for comfortable living."

This way she will know what the response is each and every time she sends an email.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:02 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
OK folks - sorry for the silence.

My tenant has managed to threaten to dis-bar my attorney, file a complaint with the state plumbing board against my plumber, sent me a text asking to be my friend since she want to renew the lease and take over management of the property, has tracking software embedded with google so she can see where I am at all times and to whom I forward her emails (since disabled) and has made 4 -5 police reports against me, including for harassment, theft, assault, arson, attempted murder - called the DA's office to try and get charges brought against me for stalking, defamation and harassment. Luckily my lease says that she pays all of my attorney's fees, so when this is done, she'll get sued for that. She's sent dozens of emails to the local inspectional services people, telling them of my various attempts to throw her out or burn the house down with her in it, how she got carbon monoxide poisoning since there were no detectors in the house (only 4 but who is counting?) and that her entire future is now in jeopardy since it turns out a few counties south of here she was also sent an eviction summary process by the courts...and now ours will all but make it impossible for her to rent anywhere they do a background check...which is everywhere. So we offered a few negotiable enticements to get her to leave but between insinuating she wants to stay and that she is leaving ASAP to escape the deplorable conditions, she unloads fusillade after fusillade of TLTR emails, basically acting as prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner for all that is wrong with her rental, her life and her livelihood, all my fault. My attorney god bless her has done this for 20 years and she says she has seen nothing like my tenant, ever. EVER. We are in court early next month. I will update. It has been crazy. Thanks for reaching out and if you don't hear again soon-ish do so again and I will bring you up to speed. I am sure when we get to court, she'll open her mouth and espouse all the conspiracies about how everyone is protecting me and out to get her. Which is actually, kinda true .
Does she have an attorney? Has she/he seen the emails, etc.?

Old 06-10-2015, 01:52 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,296 times
She broke the lease apparently moving out in about 10 days. Owes me over 7K in back rent. We in court 6/24 to recover all I can. I guess it is good news - she's leaving. Bad News - I'm out some dough.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:56 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
But her leaving is priceless in it's own right.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:02 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
She broke the lease apparently moving out in about 10 days. Owes me over 7K in back rent. We in court 6/24 to recover all I can. I guess it is good news - she's leaving. Bad News - I'm out some dough.
Probably be out a lot more than some, it's kinda hard to collect from people that don't care about their credit. Good luck though!

Old 06-10-2015, 02:16 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
I wonder if she'll actually move. Good news if she actually does (bad news though for whoever is foolish enough to rent to her). Hope you're able to actually recover something in the way of damages but I doubt she has any assets (that you can find) to satisfy a judgement. At least she'll be out and you won't have the stress of dealing with her any more, that is worth something.

Please update us once you've gone to court.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:42 PM

488 posts, read 857,602 times
I was way more excited than I should be to see there was an update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting