Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you let someone like that live in a house you own after they damage the property?
Yes 0 0%
No 3 100.00%
Depends on how much they pay 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 01:00 AM

2 posts, read 1,793 times

Advertisements

So my friend and I moved a roommate in who signed the lease in August 2014.
Since then she has continuously broken our house rules and stomped all over us.
We know she is smoking pot in the garage, and have caught her smoking it in her room! We live in a NO smoking apartment. She lost her first set of keys to our house (her car keys, our backdoor key and our main house key were on it). So she broke a hole in out back door big enough for anyone to stick their arm in and unlock the door. You have to go through the back door into the garage to enter our basement apartment. When we lock the main door she yells and screams at us for it. We paid for her to get a new set of keys and she just recently lost this set. Her and her friends continuously throw cigarette butts in our lawn and on our driveway (which in our lease it says for every cigarette butt found we pay $50). We continuously ask her to help with the cleaning or at least buy some cleaning supplies and she refuses to clean anything but her room. My other roommate owns the washer and dryer we have in our unit....they are not supplied by the landlord.....we don't pay utilities so we try to keep the laundry to a minimum, same with showers. After we gave her a verbal and written warnings on the point of her overuse of the washer and dryer (15 loads in one day and she constantly re-washes clothes that shes left in the washer overnight or for two days) we locked her out. Shes now complaining about that. Shes constantly having people over without warning and throws parties without telling (or inviting) us. I work 12-hour night shifts and don't come home till around 8am and go to bed around 9 or 10am and she always wakes me up with loud music and ignores ,y texts and my pounding on the door....
The landlord refuses to evict her even over the damage to his property because he doesn't want to lose that income! I'm getting to the point where I'm about to offer to pay for her part of the rent just to get him to evict her. If he doesn't evict her can anyone help me figure out a way to get out of my lease??
The only options I can think of is give him a 30-day written notice to fix the hole in the backdoor (a big safety issue), we are missing ceiling tiles in our bathroom and the caulking in the shower has mold growing on/in it (I've re-caulked it by myself once already), the "bedroom" our other roommate loves in doesn't have a window so it can't be classified as a bedroom legally, and the window in my bedroom doesn't open because the last person who lived there broke it! (another huge safety hazard!!). And if he doesn't comply within a month with fixing these things can I legally be released from my lease?? O...another major point....our landlord is my friend/roommates father.....any tips there???
Can anyone offer any advice??
I live in Kearney, Ne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 01:24 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,013 times
Do you sublet or did the roommate sign onto the original lease?

Old 11-02-2014, 03:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Do you sublet or did the roommate sign onto the original lease?
no we found her online....met her and she signed the lease with our landlord....we were living there without a lease till we found a roommate so we could all sign together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting