Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 10:09 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,399,574 times

Advertisements

I think the landlord would have a hell of a time explaining why he expected any portion returned after final walk through found no defects. I'd tell him to pound sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 10:22 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Sometimes damage is latent...

In any event, it appears there is no statute conflict and each party will respond as they see fit...

Unless judgement is awarded... it is all academic.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:08 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I think the landlord would have a hell of a time explaining why he expected any portion returned after final walk through found no defects. I'd tell him to pound sand.
Seems you just don't understand the purpose of a walk-through or its legal limitations and haven't read through the thread properly.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:44 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
I'm still waiting to hear if the OP did indeed have an issue with a cat urinating in that closet by the comment of the laying down tarp. Posters are saying this is suspicious or fishy that the landlord detected this afterwards. ..of course they did. The cleaning disguised the odors, a week or two later it was probably obvious to the landlord who investigated. Not suspicious at all.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:23 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,399,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Seems you just don't understand the purpose of a walk-through or its legal limitations and haven't read through the thread properly.
I've read through the thread. I have serious doubts the landlord could argue for a retroactive reimbursement after already having returned the full security deposit. Further, even if a court awards judgement to the landlord, it doesn't mean they will necessarily be able to collect anything.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:34 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Quote:
I've read through the thread. I have serious doubts the landlord could argue for a retroactive reimbursement after already having returned the full security deposit. Further, even if a court awards judgement to the landlord, it doesn't mean they will necessarily be able to collect anything.
In the OP's state, the landlord can seek payment for damages after returning the security deposit. They have up to 2 years to file a lawsuit! The landlord tenant law specifically states that the return of the security deposit does not prevent the landlord from seeking damage. The State Supreme Court has upheld that provision. What part of all this are you and others having a hard time understanding?

Old 02-07-2015, 08:34 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Collection is another issue... in my circle... most tenants are judgement proof... I have yet to collect on a single judgement... most were from Section 8 rentals...

When Section 8 got out of the Security Deposit guarantee... I stopped accepting new Section 8... simple as that.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:54 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
Interesting the OP never returned to this thread. I was hoping to see what the outcome was.

Personally I have never put my litter box in a closet, nor would I. I have to think that the tenant might have done that to hide that they had a cat to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting