Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 07:28 AM

847 posts, read 3,354,423 times

Advertisements

I have a residential lease in Wake County, North Carolina. My lease runs out in 2 months and my landlords want us out. However, they are not moving in or selling the house or raising rent. They are advertising it on Craigslist for same rent I am paying.

We have never been late with the rent, never violated the lease, never been in trouble with the law, always given the landlord access to the house (which she has demanded to "inspect" a couple of times over the lease term).

My lease says that if the tenant holds over then it automatically creates a month to month tenancy w/ 60 day notice requirement to terminate.

I offered a month to month tenancy and was turned down. I offered a 6 month term and was turned down. They just want us out. I have a house to sell before I can afford to move. I figure I probably need 6 months to sell that, buy a new place and move in.

If I assert defenses in an eventual eviction hearing, show written evidence of retaliatory eviction (I sent a list of safety defects in the house via email, and have prop manager saying "no we won't fix any of those" in writing), and possibly evidence of fair housing violation (landlord, property manager both Indian. All neighbors Indian except us. We suspect that all or most of the prospective tenants who come through will be Indian. We are white.), plus evidence that the landlord keeps taking rent (I pay through automatic bank transfer, I am guessing she won't know how to stop taking the money), how long should I expect to be able to drag my feet on leaving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 07:48 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
The month to month thing means nothing if they've let you know they won't be keeping you. They just need to give you notice. I'm assuming they already served you notice to leave? If so, they will start the eviction after that and that can take awhile. You might have the notice period plus a month or so before the eviction is finalized and they can legally throw your crap in the streets.

Bringing up all the problems after the fact won't help any. "I don't want to leave but there's a ton of things wrong with this place" just doesn't sound all that great. You would need to establish in writing that they have been aware of these problems for some time and ignored them. And don't even bring race into it.

Are you prepared to have an eviction on your record? If so, congrats you can screw over a landlord for a few months at least. Thanks for helping me realize yet another reason I'd never want to become a landlord.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:50 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
My lease runs out in 2 months and my landlords want us out.
Start packing and start looking.

Quote:
I offered a month to month tenancy and was turned down.
I offered a 6 month term and was turned down. They just want us out.

Quote:
If I assert defenses in an eventual eviction hearing...
how long should I expect to be able to drag my feet on leaving?

Old 02-10-2015, 07:54 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,933,459 times
You may think that you can play with the system to drag your feet but in the end, the LL do their thing correctly and it will cost you.

Just move.. Your lease end and you have 2 months notice.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:07 AM

So in other words you guys just have no idea?

Old 02-10-2015, 08:08 AM

210 posts, read 319,437 times
I have to agree - start packing and start looking. You never know - you could find someplace even better.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:12 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
It depends on your area. In my location, we would served notice the 1st day you were there illegally. We would go through the entire process and have the sheriff move you out less than a month later. Some locations, you might get 2 or even 3 months. I have no idea for North Carolina.

But as others have said, you will then have an eviction on your record for life. So better hope you never ever have to rent anything ever again.

And this isn't a retaliatory eviction. They aren't currently evicting you. They have given you a notice they aren't going to renew your lease. Not AT ALL the same thing. And the clause that says the lease becomes month to month is void because they HAVE given you 60 days notice to vacate.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
So in other words you guys just have no idea?
So you reject the advice given so far because you don't like it?

Old 02-10-2015, 08:22 AM

Everything I have read on NC landlord tenant law says that three good defenses to eviction are (1) retaliatory eviction, (2) fair housing violation, and (3) acquiescence of landlord by continuing to take rent.

No one has yet explained how any of those defenses wouldn't work in my case.

Just replying "no" with nothing to back it up just makes it look like people are posting without knowing what they are talking about. If someone actually has some knowledge on the subject, I would be happy to hear it.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Everything I have read on NC landlord tenant law says that three good defenses to eviction are (1) retaliatory eviction, (2) fair housing violation, and (3) acquiescence of landlord by continuing to take rent.

No one has yet explained how any of those defenses wouldn't work in my case.

Just replying "no" with nothing to back it up just makes it look like people are posting without knowing what they are talking about. If someone actually has some knowledge on the subject, I would be happy to hear it.
None of those three things happened here so you are out. What's there to explain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting