Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 10:37 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,758,830 times

Advertisements

So I've been renting this house for a bit over a year now. I signed a 3 year lease. On the move-in checklist sheet, I listed that the blinds in the ENTIRE house were broken, i.e. missing slats, slats hanging on by tape, etc. Its becoming a real pain in the butt keeping these slats on. Can't turn on a fan anywhere in the house without a few on each window falling off (no joke, several are just leaning against the window or taped on). Im tired of putting these things back on, several times a day. When I first moved in, the PM was aware of the issue, but did nothing to fix the issue.

I know that this isn't an issue of whether or not the house is inhabitable, I just think the landlord should care a bit more about their tenants that never have issues with the HOA, pay their rent on time each and every month and keep the property in good order. Its frustrating. I feel privacy is a concern as some of these blinds are so broken, that people can look in at you from the streets. I've done all I can, short of paying out-of pocket for replacement blinds.

Is there anything I can do? My apologies, this, I guess, is more of a frustrated rant against my PM that is too busy to fix ANYTHING in the house in a timely manner (broken stove that sat broken for a few weeks, gate to back yard sat broken for nearly a month, etc etc.)

Rant off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 10:44 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Besides the listing in the move-in checklist, have you ever communicated to the landlord to have them repaired or replaced?

Old 03-07-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Besides the listing in the move-in checklist, have you ever communicated to the landlord to have them repaired or replaced?
The landlord is a corporation. I've tried tracking them down, but haven't been successful. I've communicated with the PM and all they say is the landlord isn't concerned with the blinds.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:57 PM

584 posts, read 1,934,997 times
replace them on your own.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:07 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
I don't remember where you live, but you could check to see if landlords have to provide window coverings. I doubt it, but you could check.

You could take down the bad ones, and put up your own window coverings, then put the old funky ones back up when you move, I suppose.

A trick I learned with the vertical blinds, is when they're open and all moved over the the side together, to slip a rubber band around them. This keeps them from rattling around in the wind, and helps keep them from getting damaged or falling out of the slats above. Vertical blinds - the cheap plastic kind - are horrible about coming loose.

You could also check to see if you can replace the holders where the slats attach. I know you can buy replacement slats.

But, I would probably take down the funky ones, and put up my own window coverings. I'm living with the blinds that came with my apartment here, but they were brand new and I knew the trick to using the rubber band to help preserve them. Even still, the last slat sticks already and I have to yank it into place, so the whole window is covered. They're just not made to last.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:10 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
As far as I know, no state requires a landlord to provide window coverings. I suspect that what you see is what you get.

Mini blinds are really cheap and if you get the same brand, the new ones will slip into the same brackets, so they are very easy to change.

Personally, I'd rather pay $12-$20 for a new blind than to spend three years fiddling multiple times a day with taping up broken blinds.

If you do replace blinds, save your receipts so that the landlord can't bill you for broken blinds when you move out.

I don't know what the heck it is that tenants do to window blinds. I can live for 10 years with mini blinds and never break them. I never have tenants move out that haven't broken three or more of the blinds. They break the slats, they break the strings, and sometimes they even break the bar at the top of the blind.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't remember where you live, but you could check to see if landlords have to provide window coverings. I doubt it, but you could check.

You could take down the bad ones, and put up your own window coverings, then put the old funky ones back up when you move, I suppose.

A trick I learned with the vertical blinds, is when they're open and all moved over the the side together, to slip a rubber band around them. This keeps them from rattling around in the wind, and helps keep them from getting damaged or falling out of the slats above. Vertical blinds - the cheap plastic kind - are horrible about coming loose.

You could also check to see if you can replace the holders where the slats attach. I know you can buy replacement slats.

But, I would probably take down the funky ones, and put up my own window coverings. I'm living with the blinds that came with my apartment here, but they were brand new and I knew the trick to using the rubber band to help preserve them. Even still, the last slat sticks already and I have to yank it into place, so the whole window is covered. They're just not made to last.
I would buy new plastic clips, but some of the slats, where there is that hole the clips go through, are completely broken as well. They managed to turn some of the slats upside down so that the area where the plastic clip clips onto them are facing the bottom of the window sill.

I had my niece over last night. I set her up in the guest bedroom. I have never used this room before. I turned on the ceiling fan and 3 vertical blinds fell off, scaring her.

I want to buy my own, and so far I've replaced a few, plus the Arcadia window blinds, but its becoming expensive. Every time I replace one set, another set starts falling apart. God I hate slum lords.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:05 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,731,303 times
Yeah, that's why I went blindless. I personally don't like blinds, instead I put up drapes.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Yeah, that's why I went blindless. I personally don't like blinds, instead I put up drapes.
Lol, when I first moved in, I was breathless at how beautiful the house was. All the windows. I just didn't take a close enough look at the details and, frankly, I was more concerned about getting the rent I want, setting up utilities and so on.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:32 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,731,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Lol, when I first moved in, I was breathless at how beautiful the house was. All the windows. I just didn't take a close enough look at the details and, frankly, I was more concerned about getting the rent I want, setting up utilities and so on.
Yeah, nothing wrong with that. I made a post on do-it-yourself drapes (at the time I called it blinds, my bad).

//www.city-data.com/forum/home-...-not-like.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting