Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 06:34 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Sounds like a penalty on poverty.
No, a penalty on committing a crime. Actions have consequences.

Last edited by ringwise; 05-19-2015 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 09:10 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No, a penalty on committing a crime. Actions have consequences.

If it's a penalty not paid by non-poor criminals, that sounds like a penalty on poverty

Old 05-19-2015, 09:13 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Do you expect released felons to be handled 5k and lead to the nearest Penthouse Apt?

They go to a halfway house or they go back to their family. They don't deserve any more than that. If they don't have family, they stay at the halfway house where they are helped to find employment and their own lodging. They are felons. Not stellar members of society, there is no 'free ride'.

If you're so concerned about where these released criminals go, why don't you offer to take one in?

Personally I don't care where they go as long a they aren't living next door to me. Harsh? Probably, and I don't care. A convicted felon is a convicted felon and is likely to be a repeat offender...he can do his repeating on your block, not mine. (thankfully my HOA won't even take misdemeanors so we're good).

Then all felons should go to halfway houses.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:58 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Then all felons should go to halfway houses.

So I'm guessing you wont' be taking one in as a roommate?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:05 PM

4 posts, read 3,099 times
You have to look at the consequences. By all means, you have to realize she lied to you in the first place by omitting a serious situation. You weren't given all the information to make an informed decision for her to move in.
You must think of yourself and not her living arrangement. Because if you get thrown out,you need to find a place and she will just find another host.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:53 AM

400 posts, read 575,776 times
Quote:
So then the landlord kicks her out and she goes back to jail because she now lacks a residence?
Well she needs to be responsible and get her own place, simple solution to that problem.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 430 times
I live in southern california. My apartment is 2 bedrooms 2bath. My son and I are on the lease. My close friend is on AB 109. Her PO told her the police department will come with up to 7 units unannounced pull all parties out of the house and search it all so she can live here. Is this true? A big production for all my neighbors to see? Can I get evicted?? Why so many police?? Why not just her PO??

Old 10-18-2018, 09:09 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kboss View Post
Hello. I found this forum and it seems like there are a lot of experts here so any input is appreciated.

I am on the lease and am paying rent on time and have never had a problem and have my gf listed on the paperwork.

After we moved in the gffs mother moved in with us. She helps with the rent and although can be a little annoying has not been a big problem. So here is my problem.

The mother has a felony record (I did not know this at the time) for a pretty serious theft charge that is recent. The way I found out is her probation officer came to my apartment so I checked online.

I like her and she helps to cook and clean and has a low paying job and contributes a little to the rent, which helps.

She has mental issues but is on meds but there are some red flags especially that it appears she tries to use to guys for money and favors.

We don't a lot of money and her mom contributing helps but I am worried that somebody might report to the rental office that she is a felon and I could get evicted for not listing her.

With the probation officer checking in I don't know the law but maybe he may have to talk to the rental office or some of her guy friends that know a lot about her might call the rental office and tell them (she seems to go through guys....not healthy).

If somebody reports to the rental office about my gfs mom will they ask her to leave or even try to evict me?

I have always paid rent on time am hoping that I can explain if this happens.

She helps with the rent so if they found out do you think they would let her stay?

Thank you.
It sounds like you are violating the lease by having her live there without approval from the manager/LL. Her being a felon would in most cases make her a unacceptable applicant.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:52 AM

472 posts, read 473,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It sounds like you are violating the lease by having her live there without approval from the manager/LL. Her being a felon would in most cases make her a unacceptable applicant.
After 3.5 years I'm sure the OP has moved on from this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting