Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:31 AM

16 posts, read 22,461 times

Advertisements

Jesus, sorry to disappoint guys... The city is Pomona -- if you can find a 24 hour line, let me know because I couldn't. All the numbers on their website, for their different departments, are the same. I have indeed called and left messages as often as I can.

Yes, it's been going on for months but I'm a new renter. I've been living on my own for two years and the first year was a very different situation. I don't exactly know what is or is not appropriate, which is why I've come here.

I have asked my neighbors repeatedly if they're experiencing the same issues and haven't gotten an answer. What am I supposed to do, break in and fill up their tubs? That being said, I do have all new neighbors now so I am trying to catch the newbies to ask.

It's fine if you don't believe my story, and simply can't believe I'm not getting a hold of anyone. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Please, just tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 08:43 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
I am still confused because you just stated that you can't get an answer from your neighbors but in your OP you stated:
"A couple other residents noticed it as well and we spoke to management several times over the last few months and were given the run around until a few months ago when we were told it's a city problem."

So did you get an answer from your neighbors or not? It sure appears to me in your OP that you did get an answer from them.

Have you tried calling any of these numbers and if so, then as I stated before, try calling another of the many numbers listed in this link and tell them you are not getting a call back and need to speak with someone. And I am not seeing that all the numbers are the same as you stated.
City of Pomona - Public Works

Or, try calling this main number:
City of Pomona - Contact Us HOME

Or, this number:
Water / Sewer 909-620-2241

There is a plethora of numbers and I am sure someone will answer the phone.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 08-05-2015 at 08:53 AM..

Old 08-05-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoomier View Post
Thanks for the detailed answer! The building is pretty new -- I was one of the first tenants to move in last year. It was built pretty rapidly leading to A LOT of issues. Almost the entire first floor was shuffled around last year due to leaks. I would hope that pipes wouldn't be breaking down in an old building, but who knows? Anything is possible here.

None of this is making sense. First you state above that it is a new building and built pretty quickly and then you state that you hope the pipes wouldn't be breaking down in an 'old' building. So which is it, a new or old building? Or, perhaps it is a new building built with old pipes?? Or maybe an old building with new pipes??

We don't get billed for water, so I wouldn't see a change in my water bill. I do know there was some issue with the boiler over the summer while I was gone, but that happened a good six to seven months after I noticed the sediment.

And here is another time you mentioned that you talked to a neighbor and got an answer:
I found out today that someone on the fourth floor has the same issue with her kitchen sink, so it's not just first floor exclusive.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:54 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
I understand what the OP is saying. The comment about pipes breaking down in an old building was a response to me when I mentioned that is a possibilty but this was before we knew it was a newer building. But since it's a new building this is NOT he issue. OP was just responding to my post and wasn't calling it an "old" building.

I don't know why some folks are being harsh to the OP who is a new renter and is just learning the ropes about some of these things - so is likely a young adult. It takes time and experience in life to learn some of these things, so OP is learning now.

OP - you might want to fill up the tub and let the water sit for a day to settle. Then take a photo that shows debris in the tub. Can you tell if it is a specific color or is it sandy?

I wonder if this new building had used dirty water pipes that were sitting outside for a long time - enough to get dirt inside them. Typically this dirt would flush out (go away) shortly after the water started being used. then the pipes would be clean.

So this had me wondering...maybe there are aerators on the faucets which is causing the old dirt to be stuck in the faucet right behind the aerator. and maybe it's big chunks and maybe over time they break down small enough to pass through the aerator.

Maybe you can unscrew the aerator from the tip of the faucet in the sink (or tub) to check if debris/soil is present. Just unscrew the tip of the faucet. You can put it back later.

I am not a plumbing professional so I am giving my best guess. You might find a plumbing forum to post these questions.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:43 PM

Alright, let's start over since there seems to be some confusion about my "story."

The building I am in was built about a year ago now. Construction on it began two years ago. I had issues previously with my apartment resulting in me being relocated and receiving a significant concession on my rent that exposed me to a lot of the maintenance and construction workers and they consistently told me how the building was built much too quickly and that led to issues.

We have a history of leaks behind the walls, generally the shower, and this led to almost the entire first floor being shuffled around last year.

I consider my neighbours to be the people immediately surrounding me, so that being said my neighbours have not told me if they're experiencing the same issue. Friends of mine, from school, that live in the same building but are not my neighbours have told me they're experiencing similar issues.

My friends, again not neighbours, spoke to management last lease/last year and that's when we were told that it was due to a city issue. It wasn't until after speaking to my parents, and having the problem continue, that I thought it seemed weird.

I'm a new renter, I was out of the state for 3 months, and I'm a med student so following up on these issues is difficult particularly when the apartment complex gives me the run around.

I hope that helps clarify everything for everyone.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I understand what the OP is saying. The comment about pipes breaking down in an old building was a response to me when I mentioned that is a possibilty but this was before we knew it was a newer building. But since it's a new building this is NOT he issue. OP was just responding to my post and wasn't calling it an "old" building.

I don't know why some folks are being harsh to the OP who is a new renter and is just learning the ropes about some of these things - so is likely a young adult. It takes time and experience in life to learn some of these things, so OP is learning now.

OP - you might want to fill up the tub and let the water sit for a day to settle. Then take a photo that shows debris in the tub. Can you tell if it is a specific color or is it sandy?

I wonder if this new building had used dirty water pipes that were sitting outside for a long time - enough to get dirt inside them. Typically this dirt would flush out (go away) shortly after the water started being used. then the pipes would be clean.

So this had me wondering...maybe there are aerators on the faucets which is causing the old dirt to be stuck in the faucet right behind the aerator. and maybe it's big chunks and maybe over time they break down small enough to pass through the aerator.

Maybe you can unscrew the aerator from the tip of the faucet in the sink (or tub) to check if debris/soil is present. Just unscrew the tip of the faucet. You can put it back later.

I am not a plumbing professional so I am giving my best guess. You might find a plumbing forum to post these questions.
Thanks! You're 100% right on everything here.

It looks just sandy to me, but I'll fill up the tub tonight and take a picture to post. I'm currently trying to acquire a wrench to do exactly what you mentioned. A friend of mine did the same thing when she first noticed the sand but said that it didn't fix the issue for more than a day or two.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
I am still confused because you just stated that you can't get an answer from your neighbors but in your OP you stated:
"A couple other residents noticed it as well and we spoke to management several times over the last few months and were given the run around until a few months ago when we were told it's a city problem."

So did you get an answer from your neighbors or not? It sure appears to me in your OP that you did get an answer from them.

Have you tried calling any of these numbers and if so, then as I stated before, try calling another of the many numbers listed in this link and tell them you are not getting a call back and need to speak with someone. And I am not seeing that all the numbers are the same as you stated.
City of Pomona - Public Works

Or, try calling this main number:
City of Pomona - Contact Us HOME

Or, this number:
Water / Sewer 909-620-2241

There is a plethora of numbers and I am sure someone will answer the phone.
Thanks for the links! ThisCity of Pomona - Water and Wastewater Operations Services is what I was using before -- as you can see, all the phone numbers are the same.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoomier View Post
Thanks for the links! ThisCity of Pomona - Water and Wastewater Operations Services is what I was using before -- as you can see, all the phone numbers are the same.

But all you have to do is click a few more links on the left of screen in the link you posted and there are different numbers. You just keep dialing numbers until you get answers or help if the first number isn't working.

And the reason myself, and many other posters, have been so adamant that you call your city water dept is because no one here is going to be able to solve your problem. Posters here might be able to 'guess' what the sand/debris might be but that surely isn't going to give you any solution to your problem or what to do about it other than to call your city water dept. So posting pics or taking the time to 're-clarify' your problem as you did, is not going to help or get you closer to solving the problem.

And you have ended up taking this in a direction that is not even a 'rental' issue per se. It is a plumbing or city water issue. You originally asked if it was the LL's responsibility or the city's. And no one knows that answer until you call the city. I would say the LL is the one that needs to be checking it out and doing the leg work but if they are passing the buck onto you or the city, then you have no choice but to call the city.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 08-05-2015 at 08:34 PM..

Old 08-05-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
But all you have to do is click a few more links on the left of screen in the link you posted and there are different numbers. You just keep dialing numbers until you get answers or help if the first number isn't working.

And the reason myself, and many other posters, have been so adamant that you call your city water dept is because no one here is going to be able to solve your problem. Posters here might be able to 'guess' what the sand/debris might be but that surely isn't going to give you any solution to your problem or what to do about it other than to call your city water dept. So posting pics or taking the time to 're-clarify' your problem as you did, is not going to help or get you closer to solving the problem.

And you have ended up taking this in a direction that is not even a 'rental' issue per se. It is a plumbing or city water issue. You originally asked if it was the LL's responsibility or the city's. And no one knows that answer until you call the city. I would say the LL is the one that needs to be checking it out and doing the leg work but if they are passing the buck onto you or the city, then you have no choice but to call the city.
I may be a med student but I still wouldn't have been able to find those other phone numbers. I guess I just didn't guess to click around too much. Regardless, thanks for pointing that out for me.

Yes, I realize no one will be able to tell me what the sand is. I was hoping that maybe someone had a similar issue or would say "Why would that be your landlord's issue?" or "How would that be the city's problem?" I got the answer I wanted: to call the city water department to discover who is actually at fault here.

Anyway, I'll continue calling the city whenever I can and will hopefully get a response. I also noticed today that the fire sprinkler system located in the stair well has a towel stuffed in it and part of it is covered in tape. Kind of odd. I'll mention that to management as well.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:19 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
A TUB! WOW just fill a Clean Jar with water! Once you see this stuff floating or in the bottom of the jar Take it to your Water Dept! They will Test it & tell you what it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting