Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2015, 10:09 PM

329 posts, read 656,616 times

Advertisements

I have a 30 days notice before moving out of my apartment.

Closing date is 10th December for the home i bought.

Appraisal is done and waiting for the loan approval (expected this week).

When do you think should I give the 30 days notice? I want to move immediatly after closing and want to cut down on double pay (rent and mortgage).

If I give the notice this week, is it safe or any risk?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 10:35 PM

823 posts, read 1,785,728 times
If the closing date is Dec. 10th, aren't you a little late in giving the 30-days written notice? I think this would all depend on your landlord and your relationship with him/her. My landlady was super nice and would work with tenants on move-ins and move-outs without pro-rating rent.

I think you should give notice ASAP. Your Dec. rent will be pro-rated, right? and you may have to pay a few extra days past Dec. 10th to make it a full 30-days, but this will give you time with the move.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:44 PM

329 posts, read 656,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
If the closing date is Dec. 10th, aren't you a little late in giving the 30-days written notice? I think this would all depend on your landlord and your relationship with him/her. My landlady was super nice and would work with tenants on move-ins and move-outs without pro-rating rent.

I think you should give notice ASAP. Your Dec. rent will be pro-rated, right? and you may have to pay a few extra days past Dec. 10th to make it a full 30-days, but this will give you time with the move.
Thanks for the quick response. I'm planning to give notice tomorrow or Monday and have some extra days for the move as you mentioned.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:25 AM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quizzer25 View Post
....... is it safe or any risk?......
Of course there is risk. Escrow often goes over the deadline. Banks back out of mortgages at the last minute. Something unexpected can come up that delays or even cancels the sale. It's not over until it is over and you don't own the new house until it is over.

You are very unlikely to get the keys until the sale records, which might be the day after escrow closes, or even a few days later if a weekend or holiday happens right then.

Once you have given your 30 day notice, prepare to move whether your escrow has closed or not. 30 day notice doesn't mean "maybe I will move out and maybe I won't".

If your purchase closes on time, you will save by not paying double housing costs. If your purchase doesn't close on time, you lose by paying for a van twice, paying for a storage unit, and paying for temporary housing.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:50 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Personally, I'd give notice on December 1st to be out by December 31st. I wouldn't trust closing on time.

Plus, your first mortgage payment shouldn't be until January, so you wouldn't be double-paying anyway. The peace of mind and extra time to move would be worth it to me. Speaking from experience here.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:41 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Your lease may state that you have to give notice on the first of the month, or on the day of the month that you started your lease. If you are allowed to give notice now than make sure you get something in writing from the LL if possible or text him for your records.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:04 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
It's too late to give a 30 day notice for a Dec 10 move out. You can give notice now for a Dec 31st move out. Be mindful that closings can have a mind of their own and can be delayed by days or weeks depending on paperwork and such.

You will want to give yourself up to week overlap so you can move and clean and not worry about the unit you're leaving.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:58 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Your lease may state that you have to give notice on the first of the month, or on the day of the month that you started your lease. If you are allowed to give notice now than make sure you get something in writing from the LL if possible or text him for your records.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It's too late to give a 30 day notice for a Dec 10 move out. You can give notice now for a Dec 31st move out. Be mindful that closings can have a mind of their own and can be delayed by days or weeks depending on paperwork and such.

You will want to give yourself up to week overlap so you can move and clean and not worry about the unit you're leaving.
In Califonia, there is nothing magic about the 1st of the month regardless what the lease may say. If the tenant is on a month-to-month, he can give 30 days notice at any point in the month

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Personally, I'd give notice on December 1st to be out by December 31st. I wouldn't trust closing on time.

Plus, your first mortgage payment shouldn't be until January, so you wouldn't be double-paying anyway. The peace of mind and extra time to move would be worth it to me. Speaking from experience here.
He would be double paying, perhaps not actually parting with the cash until later but every day you are using the cash from the bank, you are paying for it. But it is paid for in arrears.

To the OP, escrows frequently get delayed and the biggest reason is the loan. Once it is approved, I would give notice and I would monitor escrow closely to ensure it stays on track.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
In Califonia, there is nothing magic about the 1st of the month regardless what the lease may say. If the tenant is on a month-to-month, he can give 30 days notice at any point in the month

He would be double paying, perhaps not actually parting with the cash until later but every day you are using the cash from the bank, you are paying for it. But it is paid for in arrears.

To the OP, escrows frequently get delayed and the biggest reason is the loan. Once it is approved, I would give notice and I would monitor escrow closely to ensure it stays on track.

If he's month to month then its from the 1st to the 1st (or the day rent is due)...if they are on an annual lease, it's 30 days before the lease expires. If the lease expires on Dec 10 they should notice on Nov 10.

They should also be consulting their lease in regards to proper notice

Of course he would be double paying...that's how it works. You don't move out of one unit without securing another.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If he's month to month then its from the 1st to the 1st (or the day rent is due)...if they are on an annual lease, it's 30 days before the lease expires. If the lease expires on Dec 10 they should notice on Nov 10.

They should also be consulting their lease in regards to proper notice

Of course he would be double paying...that's how it works. You don't move out of one unit without securing another.
In CA notice is a calendar month. It doesn't have to be on the 1st. It's a calendar 30 days. I said I'd give notice on Dec 1st to move out Dec 31st, simply because I would want to minimize the number of days the landlord might show the apartment.

But, in CA, if you give notice on the 13th, for example, you count 30 calendar days from the 13th. Other states require notice be given on the 1st, but not CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting