Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 09:27 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Lowe's delivers the next day, even on Sunday. OP has been patient for 3 weeks.
Mmmm. I call Buuullsheet, having tried (unsuccessfully) to get a new fridge delivered asap for a tenant before. First available delivery date was 1.5 weeks, bought them a mini-fridge @ Costco to get them through.
All I could do, short of getting a dented/damaged fridge from the clearance bin or buying one of the likely stolen & guaranteed scuffed-up fridges from the scalpers on Craigslist.

Ended up using that same mini fridge for a full week a few months later - while waiting for to get a Sears repairman out to repair the fridge in my home. Took a full week to get a service appointment, he did a "duct-tape" repair to hopefully get us through until parts came in, which was 2 weeks after that.

So 3 weeks without a fridge, while using licensed repair guys could be entirely "reasonable". I've been there myself & I wasn't trying to "cheap out", on the contrary - I was sincerely trying to get a lasting repair or a non-screwed-up fridge with a warranty for a tenant.

I've been there, with a stack of $100 bills in my hand, looking for someone to hand them to, & had to wait.

Last edited by Zippyman; 06-18-2016 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 11:09 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,407,453 times
Wink honey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayelle77 View Post
So the fridge in our rental died about 3 weeks ago. We informed our landlord and were able to use the fridge for a few days- it would die off and on then kick back in. He agreed to get us a new fridge. The old fridge was from 1992 and had black mold in the lining.

Last week our landlord sent maintenance men over with a new fridge that would not fit through the doorway. Since then, the fridge has sat in our hallway. Yes, it works but the issue is that it's huge and in our hallway taking up space. I took the day off to accommodate the arrival of the maintenance men with the new fridge.

The landlord originally wanted to cut out the doorway a bit to make the fridge fit. I doubt the fridge would fit regardless due to our cupboards in the kitchen. He then changed his mind and said a new fridge would be sent.

The new fridge was due to arrive on Wednesday. It didn't. I took the day off work and waited for the maintenance men from 10am - 7pm. I called and they said they would be coming at 10:30am the next day but they wouldn't be bringing a new fridge. They would be cutting the doorway to put the current fridge in place.

I called the landlord who said that wasn't the plan and that the plan is, and always was, to bring a new fridge. The maintenance men didn't show up at 10:30am and again, I took another day off work and waited for them until 1pm. I contacted the landlord asking for an update on the fridge situation and did not hear back.

It is now Friday and I have not heard back from the landlord. Which means we're going into week 3 without an adequate fridge.

Here's the facts: We did not have a properly working fridge for 1 week. We have now had an enormous fridge in our hallway for nearly 2 weeks. The current fridge works but it takes up space that we need and cannot continue to sit in our hallway. It is a danger and a liability being there.

We have a baby due in less than 2 months and this situation is becoming ridiculous. We feel that we're being screwed around and lied to.

How much longer should we wait for a fridge and how should we proceed from here?
Send your lazy Landlord a message and ask him if you should hold off on next months rent until the fridge is installed or if he would prefer to simply pro-rate next months rent until it's in. Very simple, very very polite...but directly to the point.
Koale

Old 06-18-2016, 01:10 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
This is exactly why I stopped supplying free standing applicances decades ago...

My life immediately became simpler once I got out of the appliance business.

Stoves that break on Thanksgiving, Refrigerators that fail on the 4th of July with $500 worth of meat have nothing to do with me.

HUD places the value of a refrigerator at $2 per month... for $24 a year good riddance.

People are always trying to give me refrigerators and 90% are too big or not suited for rentals.

I still have tenants from the 1980's where I supply applicances...

A basic 16 cu ft with wire shelves is what I provide... no water, ice or anything else to cause problems.

Since your rental agreement requires a refrigerator it is on the landlord to provide it.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:26 PM

151 posts, read 189,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
I would itemize the hours lost at work by you being there for the workers. Attach it to a letter stating that you will be withholding a certain prorated amount from your monthly rent for the income lost. I would title the letter. "How long is reasonable to wait for full rent payment"
I'm trying my best to be understanding and to avoid conflict because for the most part we really like this apartment. I just feel that 3 weeks is a bit steep to expect someone to wait without any answers.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:28 PM

151 posts, read 189,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Mmmm. I call Buuullsheet, having tried (unsuccessfully) to get a new fridge delivered asap for a tenant before. First available delivery date was 1.5 weeks, bought them a mini-fridge @ Costco to get them through.
All I could do, short of getting a dented/damaged fridge from the clearance bin or buying one of the likely stolen & guaranteed scuffed-up fridges from the scalpers on Craigslist.

Ended up using that same mini fridge for a full week a few months later - while waiting for to get a Sears repairman out to repair the fridge in my home. Took a full week to get a service appointment, he did a "duct-tape" repair to hopefully get us through until parts came in, which was 2 weeks after that.

So 3 weeks without a fridge, while using licensed repair guys could be entirely "reasonable". I've been there myself & I wasn't trying to "cheap out", on the contrary - I was sincerely trying to get a lasting repair or a non-screwed-up fridge with a warranty for a tenant.

I've been there, with a stack of $100 bills in my hand, looking for someone to hand them to, & had to wait.
The issue is that we have a baby arriving soon and cannot wait much longer. The landlord tends to make us wait an absurd amount of time for anything. We waited nearly 1 month to have our toilet fixed. We waited over a month to have the bathtub fixed when it started leaking. We waited over a month to have our kitchen sink fixed when it too started leaking.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:38 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
It's not like landlords have refrigerators just laying around. They have to measure the area, visit the appliance store and schedule a delivery. In my area of NY...you usually wait 1-2 weeks just for delivery.
I waited 3 weeks for my fridge because after I paid for it there was some sort of stock issue. and I own my own home so I couldn't even blame it on the landlord.

OP, don't you have any friends or relatives nearby that would let these guys in to deliver the fridge?

Old 06-18-2016, 02:29 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
This is different from going without fridge. You have a working fridge that was delivered. It's just in the hallway right now because there are issues moving it into the kitchen. You can keep your food cold.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Send your lazy Landlord a message and ask him if you should hold off on next months rent until the fridge is installed or if he would prefer to simply pro-rate next months rent until it's in. Very simple, very very polite...but directly to the point.
Koale
If they have a working fridge (even in the wrong room), they need to pay their rent, in full. Snarky notes like you've suggested would just get them evicted.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayelle77 View Post
The issue is that we have a baby arriving soon and cannot wait much longer. The landlord tends to make us wait an absurd amount of time for anything. We waited nearly 1 month to have our toilet fixed. We waited over a month to have the bathtub fixed when it started leaking. We waited over a month to have our kitchen sink fixed when it too started leaking.
The "baby" isn't relevant.

If you're landlord isn't responsive, that's an issue - but it's not the issue here. You have cold food = legal standards have been fulfilled.

A toilet that doesn't work? there are legal standards & methods to cure that, but once it's fixed, you don't get to bring it up again, it's over & no longer relevant. You could have made an issue of it 29 days in, and possibly even used it as a reason to break your lease without penalty, but you can't use it now. All your other issues are fixed now, and thus irrelevant.

Overall, with what you've stated, it's only a matter of time before you have a different (relevant) habitability issue & a chance to break your lease. This isn't that time.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:43 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Whats having a baby in 2 months have to do with the fridge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting