Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 08:07 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What better decisions can I make? I stayed in school, didn't drop out, didn't do crime, didn't fo drugs.
Don't assume that you won't get any odd jobs. Apply, apply, apply. Doesn't matter whether it's mowing lawns, tutoring, babysitting, whatever. 99 rejections and one acceptance still increases your income. Ask, ask, ask. Practice computer coding in your off time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 10:18 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Personal exemption for childless single $4000 in 2015, standard deduction $6300. Does not add up to $15k.
He has other, ahem, issues which I'm sure negate any tax burden he claims to have. Long sordid history with this fella. And even if he's on the hook for a few bucks...he whined about his tax $$ supporting several social programs as if his oh-so-hefty contribution to the American well-being should be shouted from the mountaintops.

Late in July he said this on another thread: "I found a cheaper crummy room for rent and now have $1,500 socked away, plus stuff I plan to start selling at a flea market soon."

So freemkt has a big, big problem with the truth too.

No headsmack smilie needed on this one.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:50 AM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I'm not sure if this is veering off topic or not. It is very possible to purchase just one room. There are condo buildings that contain a few studio apartments. A studio apartment is just one room (not counting the bathroom as a separate room)

If a person doesn't insist upon living in a crowded, desirable, and very expensive city, there are places where you can buy a lot and place a tiny home. That would be you owning just one bedroom all by yourself.

Some people have no real reason to live in a large, desirable, and very expensive city. If income arrives from part time minimum wage jobs, on-line sales, and/or a government check, a person could live anywhere. There are plenty of places in the USA to live cheaply or to buy a house inexpensively.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:29 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
He has other, ahem, issues which I'm sure negate any tax burden he claims to have. Long sordid history with this fella. And even if he's on the hook for a few bucks...he whined about his tax $$ supporting several social programs as if his oh-so-hefty contribution to the American well-being should be shouted from the mountaintops.

Late in July he said this on another thread: "I found a cheaper crummy room for rent and now have $1,500 socked away, plus stuff I plan to start selling at a flea market soon."

So freemkt has a big, big problem with the truth too.

No headsmack smilie needed on this one.

Please expand on that. What's wrong with having $1,500? Did I make a poor decision there?

Old 08-27-2016, 07:15 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm not sure if this is veering off topic or not. It is very possible to purchase just one room. There are condo buildings that contain a few studio apartments. A studio apartment is just one room (not counting the bathroom as a separate room)

If a person doesn't insist upon living in a crowded, desirable, and very expensive city, there are places where you can buy a lot and place a tiny home. That would be you owning just one bedroom all by yourself.

Some people have no real reason to live in a large, desirable, and very expensive city. If income arrives from part time minimum wage jobs, on-line sales, and/or a government check, a person could live anywhere. There are plenty of places in the USA to live cheaply or to buy a house inexpensively.
I suspect a studio is significantly more expensive to purchase than a "true" single room would be. cf. the difference in rent between a room in a shared house/apt vs. a studio apt.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Renters are like crowdfunders; they pour money into properties but have zero equity.

And they don't even get the T-shirts or whatever it is that crowdfunders get.
How many threads are you going to start regarding the same complaint, renting.
Why not just Buy your own home.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:03 AM

106,682 posts, read 108,856,202 times
lack of money . the story never changes

Old 08-29-2016, 01:07 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
I rent a room in an 8-person, 3BR, 1-bath house. I have bad credit I cannot fix on my low income, so I doubt I'm going to qualify for a mortgage any time in the foreseeable future.
So, basically, this is your problem and you're blaming in on "the system." The problem isn't that there are not houses to buy. It's that you need to work on your career and your credit so that you can purchase one.

Any person with reasonably decent credit (not even great credit) and a reasonably decent job (not a great job) can buy a house, if they want to buy a house. It may not be the best house in the best neighborhood in the best place to live, but there's an issue of priorities at work here. Not all landlords are "out to get" people. They're just business people who are making a living.

I mean, I'm sure there are people who are driving a beat-up hoopty who'd really rather a new Mercedes, but the "system" isn't out to get them. They are just not currently in a financial position to afford the aforementioned luxury car.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I suspect a studio is significantly more expensive to purchase than a "true" single room would be. cf. the difference in rent between a room in a shared house/apt vs. a studio apt.

While the price differential - studio apt vs one bedroom - is relevant, I think low-end condos have their own issues which make them extremely risky purchases, especially when financed.

Low-priced condos tend to be located in low-end condo developments, which are attractive to investors, who often own a proportion of units near the HUD qualifying limit for financing. In these cases, a person could finance a condo purchase and then ten years later have all their equity stripped in a distress sale because a new buyer cannot obtain financing - cash buyers will strip the equity from such a distressed seller.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
So, basically, this is your problem and you're blaming in on "the system." The problem isn't that there are not houses to buy. It's that you need to work on your career and your credit so that you can purchase one.

Any person with reasonably decent credit (not even great credit) and a reasonably decent job (not a great job) can buy a house, if they want to buy a house. It may not be the best house in the best neighborhood in the best place to live, but there's an issue of priorities at work here. Not all landlords are "out to get" people. They're just business people who are making a living.

I mean, I'm sure there are people who are driving a beat-up hoopty who'd really rather a new Mercedes, but the "system" isn't out to get them. They are just not currently in a financial position to afford the aforementioned luxury car.

I do not see anything realistic I can do about my so-called career, but the fact that there are no houses to buy is an artificial construct of government, which can be fixed with something called property rights.

And the landlord's making a living gets in the way of my making a living; I have impaired use of the property - because of someone else's malfeasance -which is severely curtailing my income potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting