Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:41 PM

95 posts, read 466,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Skip Section 8 just go to the apts and apply...most have what they call in house section 8. The most you wait is for your name to come up. And each has their own wait list. & If you dont meet the income requirements you will be told what your monthly rent will be. You could be paying full rent while your neighbor pays 30% & hud covers the rest. All you do is ask the landlord they will tell you.

I will have to google that and learn more about it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 02:52 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,323,469 times
What are you doing paying $99/month in cell phone costs? For heaven's sake, I pay about half that much for DSL and phone. Get Skype.

You are living above your means and you're not going to get the best of everything. Suck it up. If you're that fearful about being on your own, perhaps you're too young to be doing so. There is a big world out there with good and bad things, but you can't avoid everything. It's unreasonable to think you can start at the top, people work all their lives and never get there.

You need a dose of reality. You may have to have a roommate. I'd suggest that you look at Craig's List for places to rent, as well.

Here's something you might not like hearing, but I resent your trying to get Section 8 housing because you don't want to have roommates.
It's an abuse of the system, and your being on it is pushing someone who might really need it to live out of the system.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What are you doing paying $99/month in cell phone costs? For heaven's sake, I pay about half that much for DSL and phone. Get Skype.

You are living above your means and you're not going to get the best of everything. Suck it up. If you're that fearful about being on your own, perhaps you're too young to be doing so. There is a big world out there with good and bad things, but you can't avoid everything. It's unreasonable to think you can start at the top, people work all their lives and never get there.

You need a dose of reality. You may have to have a roommate. I'd suggest that you look at Craig's List for places to rent, as well.

Here's something you might not like hearing, but I resent your trying to get Section 8 housing because you don't want to have roommates.
It's an abuse of the system, and your being on it is pushing someone who might really need it to live out of the system.
I see. Well, thanks for your input.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:39 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,687,645 times
I agree w/ chielgirl. Do not go on Section 8 simply because you want to live on your own!

There are people truly in need who could need it, families with small children, the disabled, the elderly. Live with a roommate or in the dorms like everyone does at your age!

Old 02-26-2008, 08:40 AM

Okay, I see how I shouldn't consider that as an option. I'm not trying to take advantage of anybody or anything, though, I was just seeking information on something that I was somewhat aware of but not fully informed on. I am sure that I have some of attributes of a 'typical young person', but I'm not horrible and I'm not a leech. I was just trying to ask for information on something that turns out to not be a good option. And I KNOW that a lot of people who move out the first time are apprehensive and that is a little bit my personality. So yeah, I see I was asking about something that isn't for me... Thanks however, for the straight honesty and for the tips.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:08 PM

9 posts, read 22,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahreed87 View Post
Maybe this isn't complicated, but its something I worry about.

I am moving from Maryland to WV. Maryland highest paying, wv one of the lowest paying. I'm moving for a serious relationship and once I establish residency college will be a lot cheaper. Right now I make about $9/hr but could make $12 or more doing admin assistant/secretary type work if I just switched jobs. The current job is good for studying. My question is, how much rent can I afford not making much money?

At 9.25, I take home 1200 a month. If somehow in WV I landed a job that was around 10 or 11 dollars an hour(lower cost of living, so this would be decent pay), can I afford a 400 or 500 rent payment plus utilities?

I am looking at the apartments that are 350 and 400 including utilities since it will be first time moving out. I dont want to scrimp too much and have a crappy apartment, or have scary roomates, or overspend on my own place and never leave my dwelling.

know anyone who makes not much money and pays rent and does ok? about how much do they make and then pay rent?
I don't think age is an issue as much as maturity level. Are you ready to move to another state for a serious relationship? Will the relationship not survive if you stay in Maryland long enough to save a decent emergency fund/or continue living rent free and put the money you would have spent on rent in WV toward tuition at a community college in Maryland?

I recently read an article about affordable online bachelor degrees from traditional colleges, and it seems like a school in Kansas had a total cost of $14k (for a four-year degree). You don't seem to be seeking the traditional undergrad experience, so why pay the high price?

Only you can decide how much you can afford to pay for rent. You seem to have a set idea about the standard of living you desire, so what you need to do is sit down and make a budget to see if you can afford the lifestyle you are envisioning. Start with a comprehensive list of all monthly expenses. Have a good idea what your projected NET income will be (don't forget to account for taxes). There are many free budget worksheets available online. While still living with your parents, try living on a tight budget for a month. Skip the daily Starbucks and other frivolous expenses. It's easier to say you don't mind doing without certain things than it is to really give them up.

I am curious as to why your income will go up when moving to an area with a lower cost of living (from $9.25/hr in Maryland to $10-$11/hr in West Virginia)? This statement doesn't make sense to me...why would you make more money in a cheaper area...yes, housing is cheaper, but so are salaries...

Anyway, after you take a look at your budget, decide what amount you would be comfortable spending on housing, and then see what is available in your price range. Don't forget to factor in gas, electric, water, sewer and trash. And I am sure you won't want to rough it without cable and internet (and you will need internet for school). So, given your income, you are either going to be stretching to make your payments and one car repair will ruin you, or you might have to lower your standards and rent a room/share an apartment with roommates.

It sounds like a roommate situation would be the best financial solution for you. However, if you do decide to live alone, rent the cheapest (safe and hygenic) place you can find, hopefully one with all utilities included. If after a year you decide you need (and can afford) to move up, you'll be free to do so (provided you sign a one-year lease). Please save Section 8 and other income assistance for the people who really need it.

It's called being a starving college student for a reason. Just think deferred gratification!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainlvr View Post
I don't think age is an issue as much as maturity level. Are you ready to move to another state for a serious relationship? Will the relationship not survive if you stay in Maryland long enough to save a decent emergency fund/or continue living rent free and put the money you would have spent on rent in WV toward tuition at a community college in Maryland?

I recently read an article about affordable online bachelor degrees from traditional colleges, and it seems like a school in Kansas had a total cost of $14k (for a four-year degree). You don't seem to be seeking the traditional undergrad experience, so why pay the high price?

Only you can decide how much you can afford to pay for rent. You seem to have a set idea about the standard of living you desire, so what you need to do is sit down and make a budget to see if you can afford the lifestyle you are envisioning. Start with a comprehensive list of all monthly expenses. Have a good idea what your projected NET income will be (don't forget to account for taxes). There are many free budget worksheets available online. While still living with your parents, try living on a tight budget for a month. Skip the daily Starbucks and other frivolous expenses. It's easier to say you don't mind doing without certain things than it is to really give them up.

I am curious as to why your income will go up when moving to an area with a lower cost of living (from $9.25/hr in Maryland to $10-$11/hr in West Virginia)? This statement doesn't make sense to me...why would you make more money in a cheaper area...yes, housing is cheaper, but so are salaries...

Anyway, after you take a look at your budget, decide what amount you would be comfortable spending on housing, and then see what is available in your price range. Don't forget to factor in gas, electric, water, sewer and trash. And I am sure you won't want to rough it without cable and internet (and you will need internet for school). So, given your income, you are either going to be stretching to make your payments and one car repair will ruin you, or you might have to lower your standards and rent a room/share an apartment with roommates.

It sounds like a roommate situation would be the best financial solution for you. However, if you do decide to live alone, rent the cheapest (safe and hygenic) place you can find, hopefully one with all utilities included. If after a year you decide you need (and can afford) to move up, you'll be free to do so (provided you sign a one-year lease). Please save Section 8 and other income assistance for the people who really need it.

It's called being a starving college student for a reason. Just think deferred gratification!

well I was just saying that I can get a better paying job in maryland while I am in maryland.. the main selling point of my current job is I can do homework and study here since its a hotel. I dont expect the same pay scale over there by any means however if I chose to get a more challenging job here and now that paid more that would help when I moved I think.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:57 PM

thanks again very much

Old 02-26-2008, 02:25 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,765,660 times
If you're "moving for a serious relationship" just move in with him and split the costs.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:54 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,483,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahreed87 View Post
Maybe this isn't complicated, but its something I worry about.

I am moving from Maryland to WV. Maryland highest paying, wv one of the lowest paying. I'm moving for a serious relationship and once I establish residency college will be a lot cheaper. Right now I make about $9/hr but could make $12 or more doing admin assistant/secretary type work if I just switched jobs. The current job is good for studying. My question is, how much rent can I afford not making much money?

At 9.25, I take home 1200 a month. If somehow in WV I landed a job that was around 10 or 11 dollars an hour(lower cost of living, so this would be decent pay), can I afford a 400 or 500 rent payment plus utilities?

I am looking at the apartments that are 350 and 400 including utilities since it will be first time moving out. I dont want to scrimp too much and have a crappy apartment, or have scary roomates, or overspend on my own place and never leave my dwelling.

know anyone who makes not much money and pays rent and does ok? about how much do they make and then pay rent?
Many people put half of their take home pay towards living expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting