Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:43 AM

95 posts, read 466,479 times

Advertisements

Maybe this isn't complicated, but its something I worry about.

I am moving from Maryland to WV. Maryland highest paying, wv one of the lowest paying. I'm moving for a serious relationship and once I establish residency college will be a lot cheaper. Right now I make about $9/hr but could make $12 or more doing admin assistant/secretary type work if I just switched jobs. The current job is good for studying. My question is, how much rent can I afford not making much money?

At 9.25, I take home 1200 a month. If somehow in WV I landed a job that was around 10 or 11 dollars an hour(lower cost of living, so this would be decent pay), can I afford a 400 or 500 rent payment plus utilities?

I am looking at the apartments that are 350 and 400 including utilities since it will be first time moving out. I dont want to scrimp too much and have a crappy apartment, or have scary roomates, or overspend on my own place and never leave my dwelling.

know anyone who makes not much money and pays rent and does ok? about how much do they make and then pay rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 11:45 AM

my car bills are about 325 including gas, payment, and insurance. cell phone 99/month. health insurance 40/month. I know that food, entertainment, savings, and other things are factored in but i am just giving the fixed bills that can't be cut on or measured down. food can be bargain shopped for which is why im not including it in expenses.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:55 PM

Pretty please...

I know about how your rent shouldn't be more than one pay check or 30% of your total take home income. I know the basics, but I don't know how well this works out ini real life. ..

Old 02-25-2008, 04:05 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Have you looked into housing that goes by your income? Yes they take 30% for rent then another 10% income for any utilities...but they dont count car [payments, insurances, gas. etc] or phone, internet, cable into that figure. Thoses are non esentuals...come out of your pocket no matter what you pay.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:17 PM

thanks. i have looked into it- and my mom says that if I have to use section 8 i shouldnt be moving out.. I'm 20.. but I'm worried about roommates. Since I'm moving so far away, a horror story of a stealing, delinquent, or otherwise irresponsible roommate would just throw everything off and I'd be homeless if I didnt have family.

I'd like to do section 8 while I get used to living onmy own and make a more livable wage.. maybe going to school too hopefully. Its an idea.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:19 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Are you eligible to receive Section 8?

In my area, Section 8 is generally reserved for the disabled, families with dependants and the elderly...

Also, the waiting list can be as long as 5 years...

Old 02-25-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Are you eligible to receive Section 8?

In my area, Section 8 is generally reserved for the disabled, families with dependants and the elderly...

Also, the waiting list can be as long as 5 years...
Where I am going I am elegible because I am being paid below the poverty line. THey said the wait would be about 6 months. I don't know how it could be so bad in some areas.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahreed87 View Post
Where I am going I am elegible because I am being paid below the poverty line. THey said the wait would be about 6 months. I don't know how it could be so bad in some areas.
In some places, like my City, the list has over 30,000 families on it!

What about Student Housing at the School you're thinking of?

Old 02-25-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
In some places, like my City, the list has over 30,000 families on it!

What about Student Housing at the School you're thinking of?
there is definitely student housing!

I saw some roommate situations for 300-650 and up; apartments are just the same. I just am not paying rent at home right now(I have before) but my mom pays for a lot of thinigs- toilet paper, groceries, etc. So basically thats 3-500 out of my pocket plus these houshold items. Im tempted to get a really cheap apartment but it has to be reasonable distance to jobs and ac/heat enabled without costing excessive amounts. I don't care about cable, or a lot of other things apt complexes have.

I just think I've been living way above my means since I've always been at home, and I will be in shock once I have to pay for everything in addition to health insurance, cell bill, car payments, etc. I've been paying these bills, I'm just like.. eeeeek about basically living paycheck to paycheck.

just seems scary to me. (gotta do it someday though...)

so yes student housing is a viable option. im just reaaaaaly nervous because I'm used to spending so much money and I dont mind not spending... but it makes things seem a lot less secure when I will have to sacrifice my cups of coffee and things.. if I cant pay for frivolous little things that somehow makes my situation seem insecure(car accidents? break a leg? lose a job? I'll be in trouble.. lol!)

Old 02-25-2008, 09:30 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Skip Section 8 just go to the apts and apply...most have what they call in house section 8. The most you wait is for your name to come up. And each has their own wait list. & If you dont meet the income requirements you will be told what your monthly rent will be. You could be paying full rent while your neighbor pays 30% & hud covers the rest. All you do is ask the landlord they will tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting