Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 07:01 PM

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Because it happens all the time. Because a LL doesnt know off the bat who is good or not so why take the chance on any of us. Because the LL makes the rules.

If LL does background check and none of previous LLs had trouble with the tenant's pet damage then that should count for something. I've had the same pets for the past 9 years and no LL ever had a problem with them.

I did know a LL once though that had a tenant's dogs do thousands of dollars to the carpets. Never was able to get reimbursed for it. I know that some pet owners do not take proper care of their pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 04:51 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFitness78 View Post
A lot of people's opinions and I see both sides of the discussion, I have rentals that are pet friendly but as I have put before I am very lucky and actually know all of my tenants. I had a couple who had two very "playful" dogs and we made a great deal the carpet was in need of being replaced before they moved in but I told him no pet deposit and we will leave the old carpet and replace after he leaves. He had no other damage than the carpet so it worked out. I know that isn't the norm and if are a pet owner and you rent that should be put into your buget. I think a few should be included with your deposit some non refundable the rest depends on damage. The non refundable part is not used for pet damage but wear and tear. I do not care if your pets are the best behaved and you are a responsible owner animals leave wear and tear (other than accidents) there is hair and dander. I own my home and have 3 dogs and 2 cats I brush my dogs a couple times a week and I vacuum daily but my carpet wi wear out more quickly. I do not agree that dogs are always more distractible than cats because one of my old cats caused more damage than all of my dogs. If you choose for your rental to pet free that is your right if you allow pets don't judge all pet owners on one bad one. You can't alway tell how good of owners they are even in a interview or catch something durning an inspection or that they won't hide more pets than are allowed. Big dogs or certain breeds don't always cause more damage my pit bull is more quiet than my other little ones and has never had an accident (other two not so much along with other issues). You can only protect yourself from so much damage so know that it might happen one day. If your a renter and live in an apartment that allows pets expect there might be dog poop or a barking dog at not the best time but that's life. I don't normally think big dogs should be in apartments but there are the ones who's owners give them exercise and they are happy (part of being a responsible pet owner) Other than that I have a friend who lives in an apartment complex and they advertise they love pets and have two dog parks if you go that way I think it's a smart niche. Lastly I think children cause way more damage than pets. Don't blame the pets blame the owners.

Sorry if long and bad spelling or grammar I'm just giving my opinion typing on my phone and not really concerned about it
The spelling and grammar errors aren't the problem...one huge paragraph is.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:25 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
I cut the wall.

Sorry if long and bad spelling or grammar I'm just giving my opinion typing on my phone and not really concerned about it
I am blaming the owners. I avoid any dogs under 2 and am leery at any under 4 and I will avoid elderly animals but less so. I single out those age groups because they are the most prone to damage. It is always the owners fault in the end which is why I chose the title I did. My one big loss that will never be collected on is from pet damage and this one is nearing $4k after the first week of estimates, not all pet damage.

I got a text from these guys last night asking when they can expect to get their deposit back so they can have some Christmas money. It amazes me at how oblivious some people can be.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:26 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
........... Don't blame the pets blame the owners.........
Of course, most pet damage is the fault of the pet owner, but I can not allow the pet in and keep the bad pet owner out. I see that in Pitbulls. If my insurance allowed it (which it won't) sometimes, I would take the pit bull if I could get the dog without the owner.

Even good responsible pet owners can have pet damage. Good, well behaved dogs can get sick on the carpet. Dogs do things that they have never done before, and sometimes do it right in front of your eyes as you are keeping them supervised. As far as I can tell 100% of cats break window blinds even if their litter box is spotless. Even good well cared for pets are harder on a building than no pets.

Also, I must treat every applicant the same. The rules must be the same for each and every applicant or I risk being sued by the applicant or fined by the government. Tenants all seem to think that a special exception should be made just for them, and that can not be done.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:56 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
It feels like every time I allow pets I regret it and I am seriously considering going pet free from now on. I charge a pretty small non-refundable pet fee of $250 but I don't charge pet rent which $35 a month is pretty normal here. I just got an early termination with urine stains and holes in the carpet (right at the door so I know it was the dog digging trying to get out), scratches on the door and the casing, and chewed baseboards. Considering there was no notice given and I have an early termination fee once I deduct the rent for however long the vacancy lasts and the re-letting fee plus the rest of the damages the deposit is gone a few times over. The fee is the entire deposit itself plus a carpet patch/stretching (about $250), a full cleaning ($350-$500 including carpets), and replacement fridge shelves (yes plural) there is no way I'm not in the hole on this one. I got good references for a 5 year history from local apartment managers and nothing in court/credit so this isn't a vetting issue; this is just some careless idiot who decided they could trash a house a skip out on it because they were buying so what do they care.

Sorry responsible pet owners I'm about at my wits end with pets so there will soon be another housing provider who denies all pets. Or maybe I should hop on the monthly pet rent train...
Just when I thought I'd heard it all, landlords invent a Rent-A-Pet charge LLs are responsible for replacing carpet and cleaning units in between tenants anyway. That's part of normal wear and tear, but only if the item is wearing out. Destruction of a newer system is the tenant's responsibility, of course. But LLs need to replace all the systems in their units to keep it safe and habitable for their tenants. Some landlords believe they don't need to paint/replace carpet/appliances whatever at all, and when the item finally breaks, the tenant is automatically responsible for breaking it. That is not correct.

As for the early vacancy, being a pet owner has nothing to do with it. Since the tenants owe you money, you can sue them in civil court to collect the overage and then you won't be out of pocket on the damages and rent. Just because they paid you a deposit of $X doesn't mean you can't go after them for more money legally.

Quote:
A lot of people's opinions and I see both sides of the discussion, I have rentals that are pet friendly but as I have put before I am very lucky and actually know all of my tenants. I had a couple who had two very "playful" dogs and we made a great deal the carpet was in need of being replaced before they moved in but I told him no pet deposit and we will leave the old carpet and replace after he leaves. He had no other damage than the carpet so it worked out. I know that isn't the norm and if are a pet owner and you rent that should be put into your buget. I think a few should be included with your deposit some non refundable the rest depends on damage. The non refundable part is not used for pet damage but wear and tear. I do not care if your pets are the best behaved and you are a responsible owner animals leave wear and tear (other than accidents) there is hair and dander. I own my home and have 3 dogs and 2 cats I brush my dogs a couple times a week and I vacuum daily but my carpet wi wear out more quickly. I do not agree that dogs are always more distractible than cats because one of my old cats caused more damage than all of my dogs. If you choose for your rental to pet free that is your right if you allow pets don't judge all pet owners on one bad one. You can't alway tell how good of owners they are even in a interview or catch something durning an inspection or that they won't hide more pets than are allowed.

Big dogs or certain breeds don't always cause more damage my pit bull is more quiet than my other little ones and has never had an accident (other two not so much along with other issues). You can only protect yourself from so much damage so know that it might happen one day. If your a renter and live in an apartment that allows pets expect there might be dog poop or a barking dog at not the best time but that's life. I don't normally think big dogs should be in apartments but there are the ones who's owners give them exercise and they are happy (part of being a responsible pet owner) Other than that I have a friend who lives in an apartment complex and they advertise they love pets and have two dog parks if you go that way I think it's a smart niche. Lastly I think children cause way more damage than pets. Don't blame the pets blame the owners.

Agree on all points. Why don't LLs charge a Rent-A-Kid charge? Or an extra charge for loud partiers? It's all about being a responsible tenant, whatever your living situation. I have two Great Danes, and have successfully rented a home with them. People didn't even know I had them, they were so quiet and laid back. OP can set whatever ground rules he/she is comfortable with. Just understand that you can't judge an entire group based on one or two bad experiences. If OP wants to continue renting to pet owners, an inspection of the unit soon after move-in may help reassure OP that all is well, or not.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:10 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Losses are supposed to be within the acceptable bounds of the industry. When they become unacceptable, change the policy to No Pets and be done with it while dogs and cats are still an unprotected class.

Last edited by Corvette Ministries; 12-10-2016 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: removed poorly thought out example

Old 12-10-2016, 02:50 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Just when I thought I'd heard it all, landlords invent a Rent-A-Pet charge LLs are responsible for replacing carpet and cleaning units in between tenants anyway. That's part of normal wear and tear, but only if the item is wearing out. Destruction of a newer system is the tenant's responsibility, of course. But LLs need to replace all the systems in their units to keep it safe and habitable for their tenants. Some landlords believe they don't need to paint/replace carpet/appliances whatever at all, and when the item finally breaks, the tenant is automatically responsible for breaking it. That is not correct.

As for the early vacancy, being a pet owner has nothing to do with it. Since the tenants owe you money, you can sue them in civil court to collect the overage and then you won't be out of pocket on the damages and rent. Just because they paid you a deposit of $X doesn't mean you can't go after them for more money legally.
Rent a pet... seriously? You aren't renting the pet you are paying for permission to keep the pet on the property. Pets accelerate wear and tear and since we can't charge for wear and tear then the tenant will pay for it. Carpet in my low carpet homes, all of them except two at this point, is still about $2500 each depreciated at 8 years normally. That makes my cost about $312 a year and a pet unit will destroy that same carpet in about 6 give or take a year. That means I'm out an additional $600+ that I can't charge for because it is considered normal wear by pets. I take a $250 pet fee pet tenant, not per year, to cover some of that cost. Even the absolute best pet owners will accelerate carpet wear and that's going to come straight from the LL. I probably replace carpet and repaint more often that average and if you had read anything I've written about the topic on this forum you would know that. What was that about not judging a group based on the bad experience that you say in your next paragraph?

As for the judgment sure that's the easy part but my uncollected $7k judgment means nothing since I will never see a dime on it. This bills is coming in at about half that and since they didn't actually buy a house, their forwarding address is the parent's home, I have nothing to lein right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Agree on all points. Why don't LLs charge a Rent-A-Kid charge? Or an extra charge for loud partiers? It's all about being a responsible tenant, whatever your living situation. I have two Great Danes, and have successfully rented a home with them. People didn't even know I had them, they were so quiet and laid back. OP can set whatever ground rules he/she is comfortable with. Just understand that you can't judge an entire group based on one or two bad experiences. If OP wants to continue renting to pet owners, an inspection of the unit soon after move-in may help reassure OP that all is well, or not.
Kid fees are discrimination but when they weren't they were charged and for good reason. I'm pretty sure your post was a joke now though. I did an inspection on this unit at the 4 month mark, in July, and would have again in Jan. I normally do inspections every 4 months but with the holidays I postponed. I can judge an entire group because of the few bad apples it is called risk assessment and the insurance industry does this every day. There really isn't any benefit to allowing pets except my own personal feelings against banning them. Between this experience and ignorant posts like yours I think it's time.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:45 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I can see where rent will end up getting so high just to cover the owners with pets. Whether one has pets or not, they will end up paying for the ones that do, because of the "emotional support" crap.

I dont know how you landlords put up with it. Amazing that you can't determine if you want to allow pets on your own property.
This thread "barks" up my area of interest. There are neighbors that leave their hunting dogs out all day during the week and they basically bark non stop. They leave them out when there's snowstorms and its in the single digits too. Haven't gotten around to leaving them a friendly note yet. People and their beep dogs that they don't want to properly take care of. Selfish selfish... Would not want to be a landlord these days. A single selfish person could do thousands in damage negating the point of being a landlord.

Emotional support animal = coddled snowflake safe space millennial

Old 12-11-2016, 06:31 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
I am blaming the owners. I avoid any dogs under 2 and am leery at any under 4 and I will avoid elderly animals but less so. I single out those age groups because they are the most prone to damage. It is always the owners fault in the end which is why I chose the title I did. My one big loss that will never be collected on is from pet damage and this one is nearing $4k after the first week of estimates, not all pet damage.

I got a text from these guys last night asking when they can expect to get their deposit back so they can have some Christmas money. It amazes me at how oblivious some people can be.
They must be in bad shape financially if they're counting on their deposit to buy gifts. It amazes me how stupid are with their finances.

Good luck getting this resolved and keep us posted!

Old 12-11-2016, 09:26 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
They must be in bad shape financially if they're counting on their deposit to buy gifts. It amazes me how stupid are with their finances.

My take is that they are fully aware they aren't expecting the deposit back. They're trying to appeal to emotion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting