Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:26 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times

Advertisements

Didn't read the whole topic. Actually didn't read any of it.

Just change your renting policy: NO PETS.

Note that animal assistance dogs etc. are not pets. In most states you must accept certified animal assistance animals, i.e. guide dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 08:42 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
Yes. No Pets. It really is that simple, right?

Unless ... somehow you NEED to include us pet owners!

Admit it - you'd LIKE to have a No Pets Policy, but most landlords don't have enough non-pet owner tenants to fill their properties.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:46 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
A $250 non-refundable deposit tells the renter they are ahead if Rover causes more than that in damages. Where's the incentive?

A pet rent of $35 per month per pet punishes the responsible long-term pet-owner renter.

What about a $1250 - $1500 REFUNDABLE pet deposit? How much has pet damage cost you as a percentage vs non-pet damage or vs no damage at all? Would such a deposit help?

You'd be surprised what desperate pet owners might be willing to pay, given how hard pet friendly establishments can be to find in some markets.
This.

I haven't been a tenant in years but the last rental I had charged no pet rent and had a $150 pet deposit per animal. Up to 3 cats or 2 dogs (each under 40 lbs) were allowed.

I had 3 cats and got the full $450 ($150x3) deposit back. Did the cats make a mess? Definitely...but I always cleaned it up. And I had the floors professionally cleaned and also had a cleaning company come in and do a "move out" clean for me. The cost of that was about equal to my pet deposit. Worth it IMHO, because if they'd found any mess at all they'd have charged my other deposit for it. I got every penny of that back with a note praising me for leaving the unit "sparkling clean."

If they only knew that I had an elderly cat who peed on the same spot on the carpet every single day. Yay for SpotBots!

Old 12-14-2016, 01:45 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

If they only knew that I had an elderly cat who peed on the same spot on the carpet every single day. Yay for SpotBots!
Gotta know ..... what is a SpotBot?

Old 12-14-2016, 07:56 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:

Admit it - you'd LIKE to have a No Pets Policy, but most landlords don't have enough non-pet owner tenants to fill their properties.
We have had some landlords here who say they have no problems filling their rentals when they go no-pet.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:20 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:

Landlords don't 'need' pet owning tenants...they just need tenants. Pet owners are at the mercy of landlords because of the limited amount of pet friendly units.

Florida is full available units for pet owners and non pet owners...and none of the units I see advertised are begging for pet owners to move in. If you can't afford what the landlord is asking, then find a cheaper place, but don't complain about the neighborhood or the unit.

It took us a couple of weeks to find our current unit because we are rather particular about where we live. We could've found a cheaper unit, with a cheaper pet deposit and less restrictions, but then I'd be living in an undesirable area...no thanks. I'll pay more, get more, and be happy

Old 12-15-2016, 10:13 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
..........Admit it - you'd LIKE to have a No Pets Policy, but most landlords don't have enough non-pet owner tenants to fill their properties.
Not in any area I've ever lived in, or had friends living in, or any area where I have landlord acquaintances. By far the majority of rentals do not allow pets and yet they are all full with a very small vacancy rate.

So, landlords do not need pet owners. There is no reason to accept pets just to fill vacancies. I allow pets (with written approval) and about half of my applicants do not have any pets at all, so I could easily fill all of my vacancies with non-pet owning tenants.

People who want to own pets arrange their lives so that they can buy a property. That's the only reason I bought my first property. It was because I wanted to have a horse and needed a place where I could keep a horse. Otherwise, we might have continued to rent, which was more convenient because it was much closer to my husband's work.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:29 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
The overly defensive dog owners won't like this but I think it's cruel and inconsiderate to have a dog in an apartment. Dogs bark, they need a yard to run/play in, they can be destructive, they poop in the yard/foyer, and dogs bite. Noise and liability issues.

Cats.....maybe 1, no more. But they can also be a problem.

No pets means no pets.

My dogs are just fine. Some people are just lousy pet parents and don't give them time to go outside maybe. I think that's the case with the OP. OP has probably had inexperienced pet parents renting. It's very common.

It would be preferable to have a house but it's just not in the cards for me. Wanna buy me one? Sometimes my girl craps in the hallway but they get along okay other than that.
All dogs really need is love and daily outdoor time (well food too but that's a given)

Besides there's a lot of noises in an apartment. The walls are kinda thin. A dog barking is the least of it. People can play their music loud. They can stomp around. They'll rock the bed having sex and you might hear that (maybe it's just because I have good ears but I heard upstairs people getting it on late at night).
At what point is it rude and inconsiderate to live life? If a dog barks they're just talking. That's all it really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Really? You know all about cats? When I let my dog out to pee at 2 in the morning she is very quiet and does not bark..it is me making the noise by yelling at her to quit sniffing around for cat crap! In my neighborhood all of the "responsible" cat owners like to let their little fluffies roam free. And they all seem to want to crap in my yard. I have a garden hose on a hook by my slider ready to go when I see them.
My dogs don't bark that late at night either when I take them out. I don't know what dog would actually. Most dogs only bark if there's other dogs/people. How many people walk their dogs that late at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Ive never had a child flush anything down the toilet and i certainly wouldnt paint walls thats arent mine. People actually do that stuff???
Yes it's called individuality. The walls are yours for as long as you reside there so in a way they're basically yours. I mean I get what you're saying: there's something to be said for owning a house but it's not the same as a hotel.
I painted mine a few years ago..no big deal. I'll just repaint it when I move out. The landlord doesn't have a problem with it when you do that. They don't care as long as you paint it back when you check out and why should they? They're not renting my residence out because I'm still in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Landlords don't 'need' pet owning tenants...they just need tenants. Pet owners are at the mercy of landlords because of the limited amount of pet friendly units.

Florida is full available units for pet owners and non pet owners...and none of the units I see advertised are begging for pet owners to move in. If you can't afford what the landlord is asking, then find a cheaper place, but don't complain about the neighborhood or the unit.

It took us a couple of weeks to find our current unit because we are rather particular about where we live. We could've found a cheaper unit, with a cheaper pet deposit and less restrictions, but then I'd be living in an undesirable area...no thanks. I'll pay more, get more, and be happy
I guess it depends on the area but it seems to be pretty easy to find a place that is okay with you having animals. I see no problem with the OPs decision even though as I said it's just bad apples. If that were me I'd just find another place and not rent with you. You do your thing and I do mine..no skin off my back.
It's not like trying to find a job. People aren't too picky to accept your application to rent and all apartments are relatively the same so you don't have to be picky either.
Of course pet deposits do get expensive but I figure it's just one of those things. I understand why they do it.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:20 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
We have multiple buildings in multiple states. The smallest has 72 units in it. There are over 1,200 units in our portfolio. We have made them all No Pets properties. We have had absolutely no problem renting off the lengthy waiting list. Sad as it is, some have given up their pets instead of giving up a chance at a unit. It sound like the source of your comments is designed for solid bodily waste disposal.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:40 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
Rabrrita, we already know your properties are exceptional.

Other LLs are complaining about irresponsible pet owners. So if the solution is to Just Say No to Pets, which you have proven works so well, why doesn't Everybody do it?

I've offered several suggestions throughout this thread for practical solutions for long-time pet owners such as myself. I've begged for solutions. I've suggested solutions I don't support, No Pets. Many have been shot down.

Now, when I've mentioned the possibility that the reason LLs are seeking solutions is that perhaps they've found a real need to cater to a very large demographic, I'm accused of contributing to Pet Cemetary.

Is anyone listening? What are we trying to answer in this thread?

Last edited by Corvette Ministries; 12-16-2016 at 02:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting