Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 04:34 PM

1,378 posts, read 739,191 times

Advertisements

I have recently started looking for a place to live with fewer roommates. I have however, run into two problems.

1. No visitors- ...Ok, weird, even people in jail get visitors, but for some reason the person renting does not want people over or overnight people over. I looked in the renter's rights for my state and found out that they cannot enforce this. I also find it to be a major turn off. I mean i don't want to throw parties, but what if my gf wants to come over, so you are saying that she can't? But you still want $500-$600 for a room??

2. Background Check- or so they say? Several times I have caught people asking for my license and/or social security card for a background check. Most times, I refuse. Today I figured why not? I texted the person and said I would if they provided me with the same information that I would be happy to provide them with the information. They were NOT happy about that and told me basically they they didn't have to. Wait, but I don't know you either! What if you are a serial killer, rapist,child molester..

These two things turn me off to renting more than anything else. I am going back to college, so I don't have the luxury of having my own place. Is this the new norm now? I didn't have this problem a few years back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 04:43 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,155,755 times
If you are "sub-renting" then you may have very few rights. Note that you didn't name your state so situations vary depending on which state.

Furthermore if you are "sub-renting," the person who originally rented/leased the apartment or house might not even have the legal right to rent to you.

A few more facts would help.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:50 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,060,447 times
The landlord would rather run the credit and background check themselves since you could easily edit any background/credit check information before you send it to the landlord. It's as simple as editing a PDF or using photoshop.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:39 PM

1,378 posts, read 739,191 times
I am in texas. Idk about subrenting, but im the tenant and he would be the ll

Old 01-18-2017, 04:11 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,057,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post
I have recently started looking for a place to live with fewer roommates. I have however, run into two problems.

1. No visitors- ...Ok, weird, even people in jail get visitors, but for some reason the person renting does not want people over or overnight people over. I looked in the renter's rights for my state and found out that they cannot enforce this. I also find it to be a major turn off. I mean i don't want to throw parties, but what if my gf wants to come over, so you are saying that she can't? But you still want $500-$600 for a room??

You'd have to check your state laws regarding 'boarding' because that's basically what you're doing when you're renting a room. Yes, they can limit your visitors..they don't want your gf 'visiting' to the point of living there. Especially when you're not pay the utilities.

2. Background Check- or so they say? Several times I have caught people asking for my license and/or social security card for a background check. Most times, I refuse. Today I figured why not? I texted the person and said I would if they provided me with the same information that I would be happy to provide them with the information. They were NOT happy about that and told me basically they they didn't have to. Wait, but I don't know you either! What if you are a serial killer, rapist,child molester..

You can refuse a background and credit check and they can refuse to accept your application. A credit and background check is common practice for almost every landlord, I say "almost" because there are some out there who don't do a credit/background check and will rent to anyone under the sun....and it's not pretty.

You can check with your local tax office if they are truly the owners of the property and have legal right to rent to out..it's generally free to do that. We can do that online for free here in Florida. But the landlord is taking a huge risk by renting out his home and while credit and background check don't tell the whole story, it does give you a good idea of the type of person you're renting to.

These two things turn me off to renting more than anything else. I am going back to college, so I don't have the luxury of having my own place. Is this the new norm now? I didn't have this problem a few years back.

Well, you can be turned off all you want, this is common practice all over the country...so you either choose to stay with momma and daddy, buy your home, or suck it up and rent a room. Wait..you mentioned a gf...why don't you move in with her?? You two can rent a small studio or one bedroom unit together.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:04 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,521,072 times
Background checks are very normal. There are services where the tenant inputs all their personal info and I just get sent a copy of the report, without ever needing their social. However, I also want a tenant's social because if I win a judgement against them and need to send it to a collections agency, I need it.

A rule against visitors is less normal, but not unheard of. I personally think if a landlord never ever wants their tenant to have guests overnight, then they shouldn't be a landlord in the first place. As you've learned, just because the leases has that rule, it doesn't mean it's actually enforceable.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:20 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,373,636 times
I wonder if this is a room in a person's house and not an apartment or similar rental.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:23 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,788,265 times
Quote:

1. It's easy to enforce. If you agree to it you are breaking the lease rules. If you agree to it and say that it can't be enforced then all the LL has to do if you are on a 30 day lease is give you 30 days to find a new place. What if your GF is tired and wants to stay over, then she's an overnight guest and she is using the bathroom in the home to shower or whatever and is a temporary roommate. They are telling you beforehand because they don't want to run a circus.

2. A license is not overstepping the bounds to ask for, they do need state ID and can run a simple background check if they know what counties you lived in to see if you were arrested. The SS# may be required to run a full background check and look into evictions out of state. You can ask a LL for ID or proof they own the property even something such as an electric bill or the link to where property records are found online showing they are the owner or have a lease, but asking them for their SS is unreasonable because it's not necessary. When you get a job you have to show the employer your SS card but you can't ask them for theirs.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:33 AM

6,568 posts, read 8,416,918 times
Quote:
I am in texas. Idk about subrenting, but im the tenant and he would be the ll
Does he own or manage the property? Or is he also a renter?

And is he stating no visitors at all? Or no overnight visitors?

Old 01-18-2017, 06:36 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,260,880 times
You "caught" people asking for your license? Lol.

Say what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting