Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 08:43 AM

857 posts, read 845,079 times

Advertisements

IMO, the OP caused a non-issue to become an issue. First and foremost, who in their right mind would not secure their property (e.g., car, house, etc.) in this day and age, no matter where one lives? Even when say a car is locked, it is not wise to leave valuable in plain sight, this is how break-ins and theft happen. Bottom line is that the OP did not have enough respect for another tenant's property and refused to lock the garage. Why make a non-issue an issue when the OP could have just started locking the garage? How long does it take? Also, when the OP's lease comes to an end, would one think the landlord would want to keep a confrontational tenant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 09:13 AM

245 posts, read 292,029 times
is the garage space mentioned it the lease? if not you might have lost your garage privileges. i previously rented half of a two family home and we had to share a driveway and garage area with the other tenant. other tenant complained to landlord about their spots not being as good as our spots (their spot was against a wall so they always had to back in or they wouldn't be able to open the drivers side door). landlord replied that the lease makes no mention of driveway or garage parking so he doesn't want to get involved and if we cant resolve the issue he would take away parking privileges.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:15 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,136,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br1n View Post
is the garage space mentioned it the lease? if not you might have lost your garage privileges. i previously rented half of a two family home and we had to share a driveway and garage area with the other tenant. other tenant complained to landlord about their spots not being as good as our spots (their spot was against a wall so they always had to back in or they wouldn't be able to open the drivers side door). landlord replied that the lease makes no mention of driveway or garage parking so he doesn't want to get involved and if we cant resolve the issue he would take away parking privileges.
Leases usually just specify "premises" without going into it other than just an address.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:58 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,600,737 times
I got one thing to say to people who dont lock their doors because they think they live in la la land or something: "This is not the 1940's anymore like Leave it to Beaver". Crime is looking for the easy opportunity so dont give the criminals that opportunity.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:29 PM

Anybody else notice the OP hasn't returned since post #3?

Why are we still discussing this?

Can somebody hand me a wooden stake?

Old 03-02-2017, 06:08 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuether237 View Post
I share a garage with the tenant downstairs. We both have a garage door as its a 2 car garage but he locks his side and I do not. I was informed by the tenant downstairs that if I do not start locking my side hes going to lock me out. So he did. Is this legal? The landlord is on his side about this and it is NOT in the lease that I have to keep the garage door locked. Now my garbage can is sitting outside because he wont let us in the garage where my personal things are btw.
The Manifesto of Common Sense requires you to lock your garage door. If your laxness puts the other tenant's property at risk, you have no defense. The landlord should require you to sign a contract stating that you will always lock your door or face a penalty or eviction. There's no reason the other tenant should have to put up with your lack of responsibility. I have no sympathy for you, regarding being locked-out of the garage.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:10 PM

When will we hear from the OP again?

(Hint: never.)

In fact I CHALLENGE the OP to post a reply!!!

Old 03-02-2017, 07:06 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,600,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The Manifesto of Common Sense requires you to lock your garage door. If your laxness puts the other tenant's property at risk, you have no defense. The landlord should require you to sign a contract stating that you will always lock your door or face a penalty or eviction. There's no reason the other tenant should have to put up with your lack of responsibility. I have no sympathy for you, regarding being locked-out of the garage.
To me, this is common sense that we should have learned in kindergarten. Now landlords are going to have to deal with obstinate and naive people, that now "garage door must be locked ....." in the standard lease!

I don't know if college kids are taught common sense skills that will take them thru adulthood or maybe the parents did not teach their kids practical lessons.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:20 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,497 times
Isn't it one thing to lock the errant tenant's side garage door and quite another never to let that person, even if they use a key (which they said they tried and it won't work because the inside has been jimmied with), back in even to have access to their own stuff, much less to park, in a space they also are paying for?

How long can that go on before the tenant on the other side is taken to court (along with the landlord) by the person they are trying to punish?

Old 03-02-2017, 07:36 PM

You folks don't get it. This topic is probably a troll. The OP hasn't showed up in .......... how long? Yet you are still discussing it.

Good troll, from a troll's point of view.

Wasted replies from my POV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting