Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 05:08 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post

Within reason, local laws give the evil noise makers the right to make as mush noise as they'd like. It is NOT up to you to dictate was is and what is not "necessary" noise.
I have lived in 3 different cities, each with their own version of a noise ordinance. NONE of them give any person the right to make "as much noise as they like."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 06:41 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,837,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I have lived in 3 different cities, each with their own version of a noise ordinance. NONE of them give any person the right to make "as much noise as they like."

Which is why I said "within reason".

Old 03-18-2017, 06:42 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
OP, I see your complaint as reasonable but not actionable. I share a similar affliction that I am on unofficial night shift, I'm retired and often fail to fall asleep until perhaps 3 am, and I too appreciate early morning quiet.

By best advice is to discuss the noise issue with your landlord and ask if the noisy activity can be scheduled later in the day.

If it comes down to it, you may share that you will be considering moving if the problem cannot be resolved. The success of "I'll leave" will depend on the demand for rentals in your complex.

Ultimately, vote with your feet.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:00 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_beans View Post
Hi I live in NC. I recently moved to an apartment that was quiet in the AM except for Friday landscaping, which I could tolerate. They stopped doing that and now the owners have started leaf blowing themselves every weekday morning and Saturday. I work 2-11 and usually can't fall asleep until 2 am, so this means I'm not sleeping well on a regular basis. Is this a legitimate complaint? I also don't see any leaves on the ground, so I don't really understand why they need to do this.
Unless they are violating a noise rule/ordinance, there's nothing you can do about this. So, no, the is NOT a legitimate complaint.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:01 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Of course not, that's why the ordinance is usually clear about the 'noise'. leaf blowing, at a decent hour, does not fall under the "as much as noise as you like".

Last edited by Kim in FL; 03-19-2017 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Darn auto correct :/

Old 03-19-2017, 07:18 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Or, instead of being frustrated that you can't control the "day" people, you could request a shift change at work, apply for a different job, move or go to bed an hour earlier and get up at 8 or 9. Working until 11 is not that late, I did it most of my life and still had to get up and get the kids to school.

When I lived in California, the homes were so close together that you could hear some neighbor's gardener using their blower most of the time.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:24 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Leaf-blowing daily is completely ridiculous. I could not live in a place that did that. I would have to move.
Noise pollution and air pollution.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:09 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Noise pollution and air pollution.
yep. all it does is blow dust and things around, and doesn't really accomplish much. if they're doing it every day, I'm sure there are plenty of people that have to walk by and turn their heads and hold their breath, to avoid getting it in their eyes and nose.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:13 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Or, instead of being frustrated that you can't control the "day" people, you could request a shift change at work, apply for a different job, move or go to bed an hour earlier and get up at 8 or 9.
why should someone change their whole life around, get a different job, move, etc...just because some ******* is too oblivious and inconsiderate to think it's fine to use an unnecessary, useless, noisy equipment every. single. morning. this is what's wrong with this society. not questioning if there is even a valid point or reason for doing something in the first place, which disturbs others, and the mentality that, "if it bothers you, move". it's always the other person that has to deal with it and change their lifestyle, not the person who is doing the offensive (and useless) behavior in the first place.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:55 AM

10 posts, read 25,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Or, instead of being frustrated that you can't control the "day" people, you could request a shift change at work, apply for a different job, move or go to bed an hour earlier and get up at 8 or 9. Working until 11 is not that late, I did it most of my life and still had to get up and get the kids to school.

When I lived in California, the homes were so close together that you could hear some neighbor's gardener using their blower most of the time.

I live 40 minutes away from where I work, so I am usually not home until around midnight. That's great that you can fall asleep right away, but not everyone can. This place already has had difficulty finding staff for the later shifts. Are you saying that the elderly I work with should just make do with less care? Should I not have my coffee at my 8 pm break to make sure I am fully alert to take care of my patients? Who cares if they used a blower around you in CA and it apparently didn't affect you...that doesn't make it less of an issue for me. SMH at your lack of empathy for others.

The bigger issue isn't that they are using a blower, it is that they are using it EVERY DAY EVEN THOUGH IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY HELP MAINTAIN THE PROPERTY BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING ON THE GROUND TO BLOW.

I think I've already answered my original question, that yes, this is a legitimate, reasonable complaint. While technically they have the right to do this, that doesn't mean that they should and doesn't mean I should just lay back and say nothing about it if it affects my ability to enjoy my apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting