Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,427,766 times

Advertisements

Should I do this or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 03:20 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,901,005 times
it depends on the pet. I don't rent to dangerous dogs. Pets require a deposit.
I also state in lease all outside grounds be restored to move-in condition, just in case they have pets who like to dig holes and destroy landscaping.
I would prefer not to rent to pet owners, but you take away a lot of potential renters, so It can be a neccessary evil. My rental is on an acre of land, so pet owners are attracted to me...

Old 03-19-2009, 03:50 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,828,649 times
What kind of rental is it?

My sis and her husband prefer to rent to pet owners, because rentals are hard to find for pet owners, and they want to keep a tenant. And the house is appropriate for pets (hard, tile floors, not a stitch of carpet).

Old 03-19-2009, 03:54 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,906,212 times
I have older restored houses and apartments. I refuse to rent to dog owners. I've redone woodwork and refinished hardwood floors. I've had dogs in the past and there is always damage to wood. There is also the problem of leaving a dog outside with food. I've had to have exterminators come in to rid the place of oppossum and racoon becasue of leaving food outside, in spite of a clause in the lease of no food to be put outside.
then there is the problem of neighbors or other tenants complaining about the dog barking or mess not cleaned up.
The deposits never cover the damage and time and effort to redo what you already did once. I allow cats, but no more dogs. I don;t care if it reduces the number of potential renters, it keeps the place in better shape.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:15 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,920,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Should I do this or not?
I would but then again I am a renter with cats . What I have done in the past if the landlord was hesitant was promise to replace the flooring if I REALLY wanted the place (and agreed to have it in the lease). I ended up not needing to do this but I DO understand that not all pet owners are responsible like I am and landlords are cautious for a reason. I cannot speak for all pet owners but many renters I know with pets don't want to move once they find a place so we turn into long term renters which benefits everyone. Don't do what my friend did when she rented her house out. Rented it to grown children of a friend who had young dogs. She didn't get a good deposit and the dogs trashed the house.

I have had landlords come over and not remember we had cats because we vacuum all the time, clean the boxes at least 2 times a day, and trained the cats to not destroy our belongings. They KNEW we had them but didn't see or smell them. They also have loads of toys which keeps the little buggers busy. So in other words, it is all about the owners of said pets not the pets necessarily.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:12 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,257,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Should I do this or not?
NO....It can be BIG problems...

Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,427,766 times
Ok.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:34 AM

3,198 posts, read 13,411,912 times
Items to consider in a Pet Addendum:

Specific pet allowed. Photo of pet included.
Health certificate from vet that animal is healthy and free of parasites.
Tenant to bear all replacement costs of any repairs or damage.
Tenant will keep all pet waste cleaned up daily.
Tenant to have property, inside and out (if it's a house) treated by pest control upon vacate.
Tenant to have carpets professionally cleaned every 6 months and upon move out. Receipt required.
Tenant agrees to vacate if verified complaints are received from neighbors.

Check with your insurance agent to see which breeds of dogs, or other animals must be excluded in order to keep your insurance. For instance pit bulls and pythons might be prohibited.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:37 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,448,703 times
Our dog did zero damage to the house/carpet/yard we rented, but I would still say NO WAY. Most owners aren't as type A as we are.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:05 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,689,659 times
It took us awhile to find pet friendly places in SC. We came down a few times to look.......
Then we found a friendly community in South Myrtle. People here walk their dogs on the beach, they cart them around in golf carts.....and everyone seems to enjoy the dogs.
Personally if I was an owner I would want proof of frontline purchase.......first and foremost.
Then I would want a picture and require only small dogs under 22 lbs.
It would be on a family to family basis. I also would want a picture of the dog and his documents.
I realize, just like with us..........that a dog can be part of a family, and should not be left home for months at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting