Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:05 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,864 times

Advertisements

I hate when people exclude "large breed dogs". What difference does that make? I have a 3 year old Great Dane who is the most loving, calm, least destructive dog ever. I also have an Italian Greyhound who is nuts and has been from day one. He is 13, 20lbs, and still chews our stuff and barks like crazy and has started peeing everywhere (since our last child was born, the spiteful thing that he is). But he would be preferable to my large, 130lb dog who does nothing? It makes no sense. I ahve also owned German Shepards, a Malamute, a Border Collie and a Dalmatian. All great and well behaved dogs. It all depends on the the individual dog. I also have two 10 year old cats who are not destructive at all. They have their claws and never scratch anything aside form their scratching post near their littler box. All of my pets are very friendly to everyone, never bit anyone, never scratched anyone, never hurt anyone. My three kids are more destructive than my pets. Three boys. Yep.

I would never not fix a problem my dog has caused, rental or not. Its just not right. That is not the responsibility of the landlord to do even if you give them a pet deposit. Its sad that responsible pet owners are shunned because of the breed or size of their dog. Its discrimination.

I am having a rough time finding rentals that will take us. I would be happy to pay a non-refundable pet deposit if we could find a home that we could have our pets. I would never leave them, they are part of the family. Gotta sell my house first and then the hunt will be on out west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 849 times
I am trying to rent a home and the owners states that is insurance company will not allow pets at all I was just wondering if anybody knew if this could be true. I have had my dog for 2 years and I love her to death and will have a hard time getting rid of her. I live in Illinois. If this is true is there anyway I can get insurance coverage on my dog so that she will be my liability. This is the only house we can find within our budget so I am really trying to resolve this matter without having to get rid of my first and only dog. She is a red heeler fully housebroken and has never bit anybody. She is protective like most dogs but is inside 90 percent of the time and if she's. out I am right there with her. If anybody could give me any advice I'd really appreciate it thanks

Old 03-19-2013, 03:21 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh309 View Post
I am trying to rent a home and the owners states that is insurance company will not allow pets at all I was just wondering if anybody knew if this could be true. I have had my dog for 2 years and I love her to death and will have a hard time getting rid of her. I live in Illinois. If this is true is there anyway I can get insurance coverage on my dog so that she will be my liability. This is the only house we can find within our budget so I am really trying to resolve this matter without having to get rid of my first and only dog. She is a red heeler fully housebroken and has never bit anybody. She is protective like most dogs but is inside 90 percent of the time and if she's. out I am right there with her. If anybody could give me any advice I'd really appreciate it thanks
you'd get more answers by starting a new thread. Ask a mod to make this a new thread for you or just start one.

The landlord doesn't want your dog in his home, you can't change his mind...so either the dog goes, or you find another home.

When you ask for insurance to cover your dog you're admitting that your dog is aggressive (doesn't matter if it is or isn't)....good luck with finding an insurance that 1) you can afford and 2) will cover you. It's no different than hanging a 'beware of dog' sign in your yard...you're showing the world that your dog is aggressive and I've been told by two different agents, in two different states, to never hang those signs out. EVER.

As for the insurance..here in Florida non owner occupied homeowners ins does not cover anything but the building.....but it doesn't mean the owner can't be sued if someone gets hurt on their property.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:30 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
It doesn't matter whether it is the truth about his insurance ( that's not a breed listed on the usual prohibited list) or if he's using it as a convenient excuse.
If he doesn't want to rent to you and your dog you'll have to look elsewhere.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
I am having a rough time finding rentals that will take us. I would be happy to pay a non-refundable pet deposit if we could find a home that we could have our pets. I would never leave them, they are part of the family. Gotta sell my house first and then the hunt will be on out west.
It probably just isn't your pets, because occasionally landlords can be persuaded to work around a no pets policy. The problem most likely is a potential landlord sees the whole package, your number of pets AND your admittedly destructive three children and is like...no. Think carefully. Would you rent your house to you if there were other options available?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:00 AM

912 posts, read 5,261,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
you're showing the world that your dog is aggressive and I've been told by two different agents, in two different states, to never hang those signs out. EVER.
Could you touch on this point Kim? I have a large dog, and one of the first things I did when I bought my property was to put up "Beware of Dog" sign, mainly to keep curious folk away, and also if anybody sets foot in my property and the dog does her job to protect, it would cover me in a "you were warned" sense.
Now I'm double guessing my choice to put up the sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh309
without having to get rid of my first and only dog
A word to the wise, just the fact that you would consider giving up your dog in order to secure a specific residency tells me that you would be untrustworthy, and even if you did get rid of the dog, I wouldn't rent to you. I admit this is a personal peeve of mine, once you take that dog home, its yours for the duration of its life. Giving it up with the same level of attachment that you would give up a piece of furniture when it becomes less than convenient to you; speaks volumes to me. Note that this is my own, biased view of the world, and I'm not saying you are a bad person in and of itself.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:05 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh309 View Post
I am trying to rent a home and the owners states that is insurance company will not allow pets at all I was just wondering if anybody knew if this could be true. ...........
Yes, it is true. Some insurance companies have a dangerous dogs list and will cover other breeds of dogs. Some insurance companies have a blanket policy that no dog is covered for liability.

If the tenant gets liability insurance for their dog, that still leaves the landlord unprotected if he gets named in a lawsuit. So, you should have liability insurance that covers your dog for your own protection, but that won't make the dog acceptable to a landlord.

I will never (and I mean never) rent to an applicant who tells me they will get rid of their dog.

I do not accept dogs without an interview for temperament and even the slightest suspicion that the dog might be protective, and I reject the applicant. I would not accept a Heeler unless the dog was tail wagging, slobbering, wiggling delirious to meet all strangers and I could watch a couple of unknown-to-the-dog children run past him several times without the dog so much as looking at their ankles (in short, i don't accept Heelers as tenants)

Josh, at this point, you are not getting that house, so keep looking. I suggest that you also look for a beat up old mobile home on it's own land and see if you can get an owner financed mortgage on it. That way, you can keep your dog.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:35 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
I always put up a beware of dog sign. Even do it myself on my rental for my tenants that have dogs. There have been cases where trespassers were bit and sued the homeowner/tenant, and won. My insurance company has no pet or breed restrictions, I called and checked. Others might.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:21 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Could you touch on this point Kim? I have a large dog, and one of the first things I did when I bought my property was to put up "Beware of Dog" sign, mainly to keep curious folk away, and also if anybody sets foot in my property and the dog does her job to protect, it would cover me in a "you were warned" sense.
Now I'm double guessing my choice to put up the sign.

A word to the wise, just the fact that you would consider giving up your dog in order to secure a specific residency tells me that you would be untrustworthy, and even if you did get rid of the dog, I wouldn't rent to you. I admit this is a personal peeve of mine, once you take that dog home, its yours for the duration of its life. Giving it up with the same level of attachment that you would give up a piece of furniture when it becomes less than convenient to you; speaks volumes to me. Note that this is my own, biased view of the world, and I'm not saying you are a bad person in and of itself.

I thought like you did until I had two agents tell me otherwise. If someone gets bit by your dog, doesn't matter why they were near your dog (salesman, kid, meter reader, nosey-ass neighbor) that sign not only serves as a warning, but as an admission to aggression. Do I agree with it? Not for a nano second, however when my agents told not to do it. I didn't do it...it's not worth the risk.

Put up a no tresspassing signs instead.

Call your agent and see what they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting