Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 11:07 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,449,951 times

Advertisements

We've been renting a place in WA state for 3 years now...being that it's a pretty remote area,decent work is hard to come by. Things started off ok,rent on time etc. Then due to breaks in employment,change of income etc we started being late with rent...it got paid every month,just late. Then I guess the landlords eventually got tired of calling about the rent,so they started putting up '3 day pay or vacate' notices...not sure how it is in other states but in WA they can start eviction process after 3 days. So after scraping up enough for rent(+late fees now),we were always able to make it.

Then I guess they wanted to capitalize on the local trend of raising rents,so they said they were going to come look at the place(most likely to get a preview of things before possible eviction). Well apparently they were really picking things apart,saying the place was 'dirty'...it wasn't perfect but it wasn't the worst either. Some people can become complacent after awhile and don't keep up on things like they should. They then issued a termination of lease letter.
I inquired with someone I know who works at a property management company,and they said the report they got back on their reference form looked pretty bad and that most places may not rent to us.

My question is,what are some ways I can get around bad references? One idea would be to just list on future application forms this address,but give them one of my friends' numbers and tell them to say we were just staying with them. There are also things like low income housing etc around...would I have any better chances applying at those? There may also be private renters that may not check into things as deeply. There are also possible purchase options,but that may be credit pending.

Any other ideas?

Btw I know we probably messed up so save the preaching;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 11:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,641,864 times
I don't understand. Have you been evicted or not?

If not, there wouldn't be anything on your credit report about this landlord.

And landlords who want to get rid of current tenants, don't normally say anything negative about the tenant they want to get rid of - otherwise, they will be stuck with them.

So, I don't know of any way your manager friend would know anything about your references or credit report, if you hadn't actually applied with them. They can't just pull up your credit report without your permission.

So, this doesn't make sense at least with the info you've given.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't understand. Have you been evicted or not?

If not, there wouldn't be anything on your credit report about this landlord.

And landlords who want to get rid of current tenants, don't normally say anything negative about the tenant they want to get rid of - otherwise, they will be stuck with them.
I applied to a building that my friend manages for,so they did the check and apparently the landlord didn't care about saying anything negative. What we got was a lease termination,not an evict per se.

I'm not as concerned with my credit right now as just trying to land another place...

Old 11-30-2018, 01:23 AM

32,741 posts, read 48,386,146 times
Paying consistently late and kept the property in dirty condition. It's not going to be a pretty reference.

You were not evicted, so there will be no eviction report on you. Unless the landlord gets a judgement against you, it is unlikely to end up on your credit report. Although, if you move out owing money, the landlord can sell the debt to a debt collection agency and that will show up on your credit report.

Do you now have a job with enough income to pay your rent on time? If so, that will help.

As for having a friend pretend to be your landlord, most experienced landlords know how to deal with that, and it is an automatic rejection if you are caught with a great big lie on your application.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:07 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,818,182 times
Move in with friends or family for a bit, claim to have been renting from them, use them as your most recent reference.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:38 AM

486 posts, read 420,742 times
You may not care about credit, but almost all landlords do. How is your credit? I'm guessing if you had trouble paying rent that you probably missed some other stuff (at least you should since a roof over your head is more important than most types of debt).

We don't even call references because if they were bad tenants the landlord won't say so because he wants them gone and if we get a good reference, then we don't know it wasn't just someone they know.

We look mainly look at credit and income.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Unless the landlord gets a judgement against you, it is unlikely to end up on your credit report. Although, if you move out owing money, the landlord can sell the debt to a debt collection agency and that will show up on your credit report.

Do you now have a job with enough income to pay your rent on time? If so, that will help.

As for having a friend pretend to be your landlord, most experienced landlords know how to deal with that, and it is an automatic rejection if you are caught with a great big lie on your application.
Not sure which is worse,an automatic black mark on my report or a lie...

The only money we owe currently I think is going to be a month or 2,as it fell towards the end of the month then the exit date was set for the end of December. Having to utilize those funds for moving expenses. Not sure what would actually be covered by the original security we paid.

As for the job,I just hadn't been able to catch up to the first of the month since I lived paycheck to paycheck...

Old 11-30-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Move in with friends or family for a bit, claim to have been renting from them, use them as your most recent reference.
No friends or family in this area...they'll all across the country.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA View Post
You may not care about credit, but almost all landlords do. How is your credit? I'm guessing if you had trouble paying rent that you probably missed some other stuff (at least you should since a roof over your head is more important than most types of debt).

We don't even call references because if they were bad tenants the landlord won't say so because he wants them gone and if we get a good reference, then we don't know it wasn't just someone they know.

We look mainly look at credit and income.
Credit is bad now because yes I did fall behind on other things. So basically we're on a first class ride to screwed...

As for the landlords,when I had my friend the property manager run a test...the landlords said exactly the way things were. They don't care if we're gone or homeless...they'll probably just have to file a formal eviction which involve legal fees. But something tells me it doesn't bother them because with our luck they'll just try to sue us for their fees also.

Funny,how I always hear about people around here getting their vehicles totalled because of a texting driver yet they end up with nothing because the person has nothing to sue for...

Old 11-30-2018, 10:42 AM

486 posts, read 420,742 times
Your best bet is an individual who won't run thorough checks. Some lower rent places might expect some issues, and they may be okay with you depending on how bad you look on paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting